• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

NEED HELP BRAINSTORMING

I Need a concept for a short film i am doing for school. It will have multiple actors and actress' so don't worry about the number of actors.

the film will revolve around middle schoolers because a middle school drama club has offered to give me actors.

any ideas??

^^ please no more zombie films. I'm really getting sick of seeing those.

How about a middle school film noir type film/ mystery/ suspense. A little maybe like "Brick" but with middleschoolers.

how about ...

Billy didn't get the memo about Funny Hat Day and spends the day making up excuses and stories as to why hes not wearing a funny hat. The tension escalates as Billy's increasingly bizarre stories cause his teachers to suspect Billy is planning a school bombing! As the police arrive, Billy runs and locks himself in the ART room full of kids. As everyone now thinks Billy is wearing a suicide bomb, there is much panic, the swat team, FBI, TV News are all surrounding the school waiting... Suddenly the doors swing open, A pack of students surrounds Billy, keeping him safe from the snipers bullet as one student explains the misunderstanding.. the pack of students parts revealing Billy in a very silly hat that the students made in the ART room...

Could end there on a happy note..

or..

The report of a rifle shot splits the afternoon, and Billy crumples to the ground..

how about ...

Billy didn't get the memo about Funny Hat Day and spends the day making up excuses and stories as to why hes not wearing a funny hat. The tension escalates as Billy's increasingly bizarre stories cause his teachers to suspect Billy is planning a school bombing! As the police arrive, Billy runs and locks himself in the ART room full of kids. As everyone now thinks Billy is wearing a suicide bomb, there is much panic, the swat team, FBI, TV News are all surrounding the school waiting... Suddenly the doors swing open, A pack of students surrounds Billy, keeping him safe from the snipers bullet as one student explains the misunderstanding.. the pack of students parts revealing Billy in a very silly hat that the students made in the ART room...

Could end there on a happy note..

or..

The report of a rifle shot splits the afternoon, and Billy crumples to the ground..

You know, I was getting into that plot! The kid lying on the ground might cause some problems though.... ;)

If you don't feel like doing a "Breakfast Club ripoff"....;)

Why not do a film ABOUT middle school students either trying out for a project, or the chaos one goes through when working with middle students(things broken, missing, big egos on set, general chaos)

Or(this would require subterfuge)let the kids know about the film, and film them through auditions and day to day stuff...then make a montage about it-the montage would be the film(course you may want to be sure you're not getting called to the parking lot after school....lol)

In other words, a typical day in Hollywood....

Last edited:
Logline:
School bans cell phones so students find a creative way to communicate.
Genre: Comedy

Story: No idea! :lol:

Middle schoolers behaving as adults, "mockumentary". Interview kids in their "sunday best" (ties, skirts/dresses) seriously responding to grown-up questions about school situations. school politics, tolerance policies, child behavior, etc. Shoot some adults in their "play" clothes behaving foolishly at a playground with a few of the middle schoolers, separately, standing foreground (nice DOF shots) while giving passer-by interviews, all the others shot as sit-downs... In the end, appeal to the teacher in some way for an A.. nah, leave it serious, will make a better story for viewers.

If I was a teacher, I would give an A+++ To whatever middle school kid that could pull Wheatgrinder's idea off. I am in middle school and could never accomplish that. It would be funny if the SWAT team and FBI were kids :D. Even better, you see this baby crawling in with a black suit on and an fbi badge holding an AK-47...

How about your like a guy trying to make a film and have no idea on what the film is... I hear it's worked before....

You leave Lucas and his prequels out of this!
smiley_fist.gif

My gosh you can do anything at all. I was thinking of that classic John Hughs (rip) movie
Breakfast Club. A movie about a group of kids who had detention on a saturday. The movie was really about self discovery.

You can go in any direction.

Back