Most suspenful movie youve seen?

The Descent.

I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but cave diving is certainly not for me. This is honestly the scariest film I've ever seen, incredibly tense...

It all goes to pot when the monsters turn up.

I'm not sure how anyone can call United 93 suspenseful because I would say that 'suspense' (at least in the traditional sense) requires an element of uncertainty, something that United 93 definitely lacks.

The Descent.

I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but cave diving is certainly not for me. This is honestly the scariest film I've ever seen, incredibly tense...

That's not the first time I've heard this-I've had a couple of friends say to me "You know what, if they had done it ala Blair Witch, where you never SEE the monsters, it would have been fantastic, but those monsters show up it looks like something out a B movie" They were totally impressed by the suspense and atmosphere of it all, but like you, when the monsters show up, it was ruined for them.

I will also add (until the last 15 min of the film anyway) SIGNS was actually pretty suspenseful, particularly when they're in the house with banging walls, ceiling, and down in the basement.

I now
shut the movie off when they go up the stairs, for me that's where it should have ended-the fakey looking alien and ensuing sequence ruined what, for me up to that point, was a pretty edge of your seat film.

I'm not sure how anyone can call United 93 suspenseful because I would say that 'suspense' (at least in the traditional sense) requires an element of uncertainty, something that United 93 definitely lacks.
That's sort of what I was thinking, but I still think it has some elements of suspense. For one, we don't know everything that actually went on in the plane, so the creative license that the filmmakers took added some uncertainty.

As for the movie as a whole, I gripped my seat more and my throat was locked harder during United 93 than with any other 'suspense' movie, so that has to count for something.

That's sort of what I was thinking, but I still think it has some elements of suspense. For one, we don't know everything that actually went on in the plane, so the creative license that the filmmakers took added some uncertainty.

As for the movie as a whole, I gripped my seat more and my throat was locked harder during United 93 than with any other 'suspense' movie, so that has to count for something.

I would agree with you that the film was almost unbearably tense, but I don't think it's really a suspenseful film.

Sure, we don't know the exact movements of the passengers on the plane but because we know how things are going to end up there's a doomed inevitability about the whole piece.

There's the same sort of feeling in the final ten minutes of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas which, if anyone hasn't seen it, has the most shocking ending of any 'children's' movie I've seen...

The Descent.

Hatter and Tinalera, "The Descent" is such a great first half of a movie. Too bad they didn't just make the story about the women going into an unexplored cave. Would have made a great thriller without the added attempt at horror.

some good ones. tell no one is definitely up there on the list. So its the uncertainty of the situation that you take into account when judging wether a movie is somewhat or really suspenseful? and obviously how believable it is

some good ones. tell no one is definitely up there on the list. So its the uncertainty of the situation that you take into account when judging wether a movie is somewhat or really suspenseful? and obviously how believable it is

And how much you care about the characters, or at least, how much you can empathize with them. I think that you don't necessarily have to like characters to worry about what happens to them, but they do have to be interesting or believable enough for you to be invested in the outcome of their situation.

Last edited:
Has anyone said Jaws??

Dammit, now I'm afraid to use the bathroom! Honestly, after that movie, I didn't want to jump in a pool at night or even open my closet door! :eek: (Landshark!)

So, I guess I'll mention THE EXORCIST and THE OMEN, too.

As for THE DESCENT, I liked the crawlers. Someone has to play devil's advocate. I mean, they are underground carnivores that, over time, lost their eyesight and pulled down the occasional deer, but still human. Interesting concept. Credit Neil Marshall for coming up with such a strong setting, group of characters and backstory.

The_Descent.jpg

Well when I was a kid, Scream was the scariest for me. I for some reason remember that scene where a woman hides in sort of a studio between a stack of the "killers" suits, and the actual killer is in one of them and that knife thing comes out from the side. To me, that was pretty scary.
But in the last couple of years, the movie that had me on the edge of my seat the most was probably the Orphan or maybe Step Dad in the scene where the girl decides to cut the guys **** off.

The Pierre Morel directed, Luc Besson written film "Taken" starring Liam Neeson had me on the edge of my seat for the entirety of the film when I first saw it.

I would have said "Silence of the Lambs" but to add something new to this list, I found "Law Abiding Citizen" pretty much suspenseful.

Back