• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Minutes" Frame Grabs

chilipie

Pro Member
indiePRO
Just wrapped on this short film this evening… two days, two locations and two different looks. Was great to DoP again and get to tell other people what to do for a change :)

Had a very low budget for this and a fairly inexperienced cast and crew, save for the 1st AD and my gaffer, but everyone pushed really hard and they were all great to work with - even the first-time director!

With any luck we'll get this cut together over Christmas… hope you like the screen grabs! (And please excuse my 30 second grade in Photoshop.)

minutes-office-cu.jpg

minutes-office-ms.jpg

minutes-office-ws.jpg

minutes-pub-ext.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Ollie! What did you shoot with, what type of lighting?

Cheers Paul! Was all 550D and EF glass (mostly the 28mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4) with CineStyle. We had no natural light due to scheduling/one windowless room and a fairly small lighting package, so I rated the 550D at ISO 400 and shot at f/2.8 for the most part.

The pub was keyed from overhead with a 250W bulb in a 30" china ball, just out of shot - definitely one of the best (and cheapest) lights I've bought. There was another 250W bulb in a smaller china ball hanging from the ceiling in the back of the room for a bit more depth. There's a 350W fresnel aimed across the bar to get some nice bokeh from all that shiny glass and chrome. The softish kicker on the left of the guy's head is from some lights that had been installed by the pub above the bar with some 1/4 CTO over them. The harder backlight from the right was a Blonde into a silver/gold weave reflector on an arm, raking across the room - the camera is constantly dollying left to right, so you see quite a bit of the pub and the extras in the background.

The office was a much simpler setup - turned off all the overhead fluorescents in the half of the room you don't see, and then gelled the ones closest to the far wall with 1/2 CTB, adding black wrap around the edges to feather the light on the wall, giving us blue rather than white walls and a nice soft backlight. The 350W fresnel was as high as we could get it on frame left, very tightly flagged so it only hit one row of people - popped some diff in front of it in CUs so it wasn't quite as hot. Other than that, I brought a 250W china ball in for a bit of fill in some shots, but it was a pretty tight schedule so I couldn't faff about for as long as I liked!

Nice... the exterior has a big light off frame right hitting the main building. Did you add that or was that magically there for you?

Nicely spotted! That was me, yep - 350W fresnel with (I think) 1/4 CTB. I just wish it wasn't quite so bright on the top right of the building…

I also grabbed a few seconds of footage exposed three stops under to dodgily comp in over the blown out signs, which might be why it looks like a bigger light was used.

Wow, I was using 400s and 250s as close up fill and background kickers indoors on my last shoot. I can't believe how dark those DSLRs can go and make it look "Lit"

Looks great and with no video noise at all. Did you clean it already or that's the way it was as raw?

No noise clean up at all there; that was shot at ISO 400 and there's a hint of noise in the very flat raw files, but it all but disappears once you start to add some contrast.

Just thought I'd post a couple of BTS stills so you can see the lighting setups better…

minutes-pub-bts1.jpg

minutes-pub-bts2.jpg

minutes-office-bts1.jpg

In the second pic, are those lights over the bar yours? What are they?

In the third, did you CTB the windows? And what are those black things hanging from the ceiling lights?

:)

ps: Who has two thumbs and got four 26" China lanterns for Christmas? This gal!

Last edited:
Back