life sucks-help

I would like to add something constructive.

If you want to make films, learn the art of storytelling inside-out.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

i really wish i hadnt brought up the word weed in the first place, it was more or less a joke then it turned into all this shit and its the only thing anyone is commenting on. this was an amazing post until we got off on that tangent.

and i still hold by what i said, nothing matters. its a general statement and plenty of exceptions i'm just saying i hate the state of the world and the state of society. i dont give a shit about having a family and a bullshit career and a house and 2 camrys in the driveway. and other than furthering my understanding of film, i think school is a joke. i think its a scam, this is an exaggerated way to put it but its like the media brainwashed us into wanting all this shit, so it trains us to be greedy selfish money hungry monsters. so we go to school like they say and they feed us shit, then they pretty much put up a fictional ultimatum- either you go to school and join the work force or you join the work force. they have you over your head in debt before you're old enough to buy your own beer. then once they train you to run their evil corporations your head is so far up your ass you'll break all the ethics in order to make your money and thats exactly what they want you to do because thats the basis of all american corporations-make money and fuck who is in your way.

THATs the kind of shit that doesnt matter. so instead i decide to devote my life to art and abstraction and experimenting. and if i can smoke a joint and relax and be less like the other fucks in society, and be able to see art in a more spiritual way, then i'm going to do it. sometimes it makes me happy, sometimes i have an existential breakdown, but its all about getting to the core of my existence and expressing my thoughts and feelings.

hopefully this is the end of the weed discussion.

i also agree with the story telling advice. currently i'm more interested in developing characters, but its all the same cause. anyone else here a fan of French New Wave cinema??? that's been my life for the last year.

i'm starting a thread called "my first 'real' short film" to discuss my current project. so read it when you see it!

Dude are you high?

I made two posts completely void of weed...

Interesting post you have there. Except you're wrong.

Nobody is making you do anything. You want to travel around the world with nothing but a rucksack and a sleeping bag? Do it. Nobody is stopping you. Who do you feel is pressuring you to join any corporation? Feel free to start your OWN business, or make your OWN films. Sheeeiiiiiit, most artistic people have the sort of paranoid attacks you're having AFTER they've made some money ala John Frusciante. You're doing it in the wrong order.

Edit: just seen your follow-up. Fair enough you're interested in character studies/introspectives rather than out and out stories. But you can't have a character without a story.

i really wish i hadnt brought up the word weed in the first place, it was more or less a joke then it turned into all this shit and its the only thing anyone is commenting on. this was an amazing post until we got off on that tangent.

and i still hold by what i said, nothing matters. its a general statement and plenty of exceptions i'm just saying i hate the state of the world and the state of society. i dont give a shit about having a family and a bullshit career and a house and 2 camrys in the driveway. and other than furthering my understanding of film, i think school is a joke. i think its a scam, this is an exaggerated way to put it but its like the media brainwashed us into wanting all this shit, so it trains us to be greedy selfish money hungry monsters. so we go to school like they say and they feed us shit, then they pretty much put up a fictional ultimatum- either you go to school and join the work force or you join the work force. they have you over your head in debt before you're old enough to buy your own beer. then once they train you to run their evil corporations your head is so far up your ass you'll break all the ethics in order to make your money and thats exactly what they want you to do because thats the basis of all american corporations-make money and fuck who is in your way.

THATs the kind of shit that doesnt matter. so instead i decide to devote my life to art and abstraction and experimenting. and if i can smoke a joint and relax and be less like the other fucks in society, and be able to see art in a more spiritual way, then i'm going to do it. sometimes it makes me happy, sometimes i have an existential breakdown, but its all about getting to the core of my existence and expressing my thoughts and feelings.

hopefully this is the end of the weed discussion.

I'm with you, brother. Nobody needs to be throwing stones from glass houses. Show me someone who thinks they always make the right decisions, and I'll show you someone who lies to themselves. What I'm saying is that YOU need to be making your decisions, cuz only you are going to know the true effects of them. And that means it's time to leave the nest. Step off that tallest branch, and you'll be flying before you hit the ground.

And, dude, you're telling us the Rat Race is bullshit? Not newsworthy. Almost nobody actually likes their job. It's what you do because you don't really have a choice. Rent must be paid, and food must be put on the table. That doesn't mean you can't find a way to enjoy life to the best of your ability, while submitting yourself to the harsh realities of our modern economy.

You're asking good questions about life. The problem is that there aren't any real answers. You kinda just gotta go with it.

By the way, we're the lucky ones. Most people in this world would do anything to trade places with us. Best of luck to ya, man. These are perfectly normal struggles. Lots of people feel the same way.

I always make the right jokes.

I love my job. I sometimes get paid to shoot guns at Astrovans and drop pianos to the ground from 4 stories high.

Check your PMs, gasser.

Watch me.

Are you saying you're a character without a story?

Or are you debating what I said?

I guess you could try and have a character without a story, but any character with any depth will eventually reveal a story of some form. So if your character doesn't reveal a story, it's a bad character. Simples. Nobody will be interested in it. Note that a story doesn't have to be external and dramatic, it can be an internal struggle or a complex psychological conflict.

Good post there Cracker.

Guys,

Start a thread named:

"Wombat thinks he can create a character without a story"

and debate there.

This is gasser's thread and we shouldn't derail it.

(Uranium, I saved you some typing).

How about you stop posting your opinions to whether the man is trying to bring you down. And you start writing a script? Nothing and nobody can stop you from doing that. Nobody is recruiting you to come join their money making cult call "Evil Corporation Inc." keep working your job, write some stuff, get a camera and film. If you don't like your job start your own company and do something you love.

"If you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life!"

life may suck but L.I.F.E. rocks.

Exactly true. I don't work. I shoot guns at different surfaces, record it, and call it work :)

ps. to 'insert cliche here' (clever name btw) i didnt mean that depression and anxiety are the same thing, i meant that i have both of those things. although i do tend to believe that they perpetuate each other. and yeah its true weed probably doesnt help those things but it helps me think (sometimes too much)

i didn't mean that. i meant that depression and being depressed are two different things and anxiety and not being social are two different things. sorry for the confusion. depression and anxiety often go hand in hand, but there is a difference between a medical condition and just feeling like shit. that was my point.

Just do me one favor please check out that book I have a feeling it will really help you with your decisions and how you make your film. Robert Rodriguez's "Rebel without a crew" is like a MUST read for any indie film maker.

I don't have you wrong the way you portray yourself though makes it sound kind of ignorant in that life has still just begun your only 20 right around my age. Everyones got problems man, whenever I feel a bit down I just think of all those people who have it worse than me and then I'm good to go. But to be depressed when you have so much going for you is just feeling sorry for yourself! I'm not trying to get in a fight or call you out, you seem like a nice guy. You just blasted us with how you want our help but then your not going to listen to some good things people have to say.

I don't live in a glass house and I'm not trying to throw rocks. If you want to smoke weed all well and good if you want to make movies, DO IT don't talk about it. I'd honestly suggest you just go out and film, learn to use the camera your borrowing from a buddy, go to a friends house, have a couple buddies over and say "Guys lets film something." Then just do it on the spot complete improv. Do that a few times get some practice, edit it, make it fun for everyone blast it all over facebook (or whatever social networking site you use) and show all your friends. Even if it didn't come out amazing. Then your goal should be for the next one to be ever better. After every film, your next should be better. Thats my suggestion to you. Not write a script have everyone critique it and put off making something. FILM my brotha FILM! Eventually when you have a few shorts done and you edited them and added music post them for us all to see and we can help you move them along and help YOU get better. After a few of those done and some confidence under your belt, then come back and show us your amazing script and have the scripties tear it apart.

I say this as someone who did exactly that ^^^ its a tried and true method to getting better and I endorse it 100%!

-Josh :yes:

Last edited:
i'm a little passed the dicking around stages but i get what your saying and thats what i'm doing now. the only reason i'm not very interested in the book you suggest is because i dont like robert rodriguez and i probably wont sell my body to science. but if i can find it for 2 bucks on half.com i'll probably look into it.

Its about the journey my man, the journey. He had quite an amazing journey whether you like him or not. He should be what we all (as filmmakers) aspire to be as he was one of the quintessential indie filmmakers. To take 7 grand make a movie then turn that into your ticket into hollywood and 2 agents working in the biggest agency in the world is quite a feat. If you don't like him you can still admire his journey.

It will also help a great deal with your film school question.

Oh and one more thing I did not mean dicking around man, I meant honing your craft, theres a HUGE difference, one is pointless, one is serious. We made about 30 of those shorts just getting together and doing something on the spot, before we decided to do make some scripts and enter some contests.

......By the way, we're the lucky ones. Most people in this world would do anything to trade places with us. Best of luck to ya, man. These are perfectly normal struggles. Lots of people feel the same way.

Yeap!!

I don't quote the Bible very often, but here's one for ya:

"Without a dream, the people perish."

You've got a dream. You're alive, in more than one sense. That's more than most folks can say. Sounds like most of your problems can be solved with a little more money, and that makes you one of the lucky ones because you're healthy enough to handle two jobs and get the f#ck outta your parents house. Not that they're bad people. But your dream isn't the dream they have for you.

Oh, and don't get anyone pregnant. Please!!! Talk about an irrevokeable(sp) event.

Midnite

Back