Kicked Out Of Mall?!

Yesterday, we were filming a video for my cousins Youtube Channel. And we had 4 people dressed up as Mario Characters: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and the Princess. We had two camera men, 1 was me, and we walked around the mall while Mario and Luigi asked if anyone has seen the Princess.

We got kicked out of both malls instantly because one cop said we cant wear costumes although none actually covered our faces. And two, we cant film or take pictures in the mall.

Is what the cop said true? Because it really bugged us because we instantly got kicked out and barely got any footage..

Anyone had this kind of experience?

Hell yea its true. You need a release from the mall minimum. Plus probably a release from every store that you catch in frame, from anyone passing in frame as well. Also, did you have a fiming permit from whatever city you're in. Its also a generally good idea to hire an offduty cops to hang out with you guys that way if there's any trouble they can help sort it out(with the cops that show up)

On a lighter note: Two friends and I were once banned from a mall for making fun of the security guys hats. :)

Last edited:
Is what the cop said true?

If you believe the cop lied to you then you should go to the building
managers and maybe even the mall security office to file a complaint.

A mall has the right to restrict any activity they want. It is open to
the public but it it still a private place of business. But if they DO allow
filming and the cop lied, then you should notify the proper people.

Public Liability Insurance. Permission from the mall, from the stores you pass, for you to atleast notify via a sign, that those who are passing the vicinity may be filmed.

It's not a worry, atleast you know the correct approach for next time. Sorry to hear you where thrown out.

Your best bet is to always ask and make people/officials/management aware of what you are doing. The finished product may not be legal (TMs etc.) but for the production side you don't know until you ask. Better than wasting time and money and getting kicked out again.

Agreed with all the above: If in doubt, get permission any place that's private property.

You haven't mentioned permissions, so we're all assuming you didn't have the permits, licences, ect.

The police may pay you a visit while you're filming in the "public busy city"(?) as you need permission from most towns/cities/municipalities as well - questions of liability and privacy (the gov't reserves the right to invade your privacy and violate your rights).

One more thing - do you have permission to use the Mario characters? That's a potential lawsuit as well.

I did security for 3 years at a mall. Even though a mall is a public place it is privately owned which means it is private property. Most malls don't allow video/picture cameras on their property. The only way you could get around that would be to film in a store that you have permission to film in but even then that depends on the leasing agreement.

I did security for 3 years at a mall. Even though a mall is a public place it is privately owned which means it is private property. Most malls don't allow video/picture cameras on their property. The only way you could get around that would be to film in a store that you have permission to film in but even then that depends on the leasing agreement.

Yup, you're 100% correct. I think the technical definition is that a mall is Private Property that is Open to the Public, so that they can maintain the rights to things like video recordings.

I would call the city you're filming in as well and make sure you can film without a license - "Better to ask forgiveness than permission" doesn't account for all the legal fees when you get sued or fined.

Back