JVC Unveils World’s First 4k Handheld Camera at CES

i read about this earlier. It looks a bit premature considering the market. Interesting though. One concern I would have is massive file sizes that will likely be down-resed anyway. As has been mentioned, a large sensor 4K will sell like hotcakes.

How do they get 4k out of a weenie 1/2" CMOS chip?
Software workaround?

Resolution isn't really linked to chip size - for stills, for example, the 550D is much higher resolution than an ARRI Alexa, even though the sensors are very similar in size. You can have very high pixel density in a small chip, and very low pixel density in a large chip.

Still, 60p 4K for $5,000. If you do any kind of VFX work that gives you so much to work with.

Definitely. This is almost what the Scarlet was originally intended to be - 4K from a small chip in a smallish, fixed lens camera. The fact that it can do 60fps at 4K without any windowed sensor bullshit is a massive bonus too.

I don't know, Brian, but you'd have to think it's twice 2K (1080p), maybe more with AVCHD and 4 cards. Good question.

4K is four times the resolution of 2K (twice the width, twice the height) :)

518px-Digital_cinema_formats.svg.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I think this is amazing for VFX artist but also people who really want to enhance the overall professional quality of the film/video. Not only that, but I am guessing that if you slapped on a Letus Extreme, it would create some bad ass depth.

I'm definitely excited for this. Although it is a little overkill/out of my budget for now, it gives me some more hope for price:Performance ratio in the future. Obviously now that JVC has this, all the other brands will be rushing to get there own 2K or 4K camera out there.

So let's wait and see what happens! But I really wanna see some reviews and test footage of this camera.

I actually still prefer to shoot 4x3, then crop in post so I can have much more framing control (even going so far as to be able to animate simulated camera moves) without losing more resolution than I'd normally have to. I shoot "Fincher Frames" which I found in the BTS for Panic Room which targets headspace right between where it should be for 4x3 and 16x9. This allow the cam op to be a little sloppy to catch the action better, but preserves the headspace vertically a bit to allow sliding the frame up or down to line up eyelines in post.

Back