JVC Unveils World’s First 4k Handheld Camera at CES

I don't... I have yet to go HD at all, still SD (unless someone wants to fund me into a t2i :) ) But my camera (XL1s) crops in camera to give a 16 x 9, and I found it better to choose the crop... plus, the benefit actually makes it a really great workflow, so I don't mind losing a little bit of rez anyway to make the changes I'm doing with them.

Gotcha.
Cool.
TY

I had actually done the same at 720, shot at 4:3, selected 16:9 in processing just to select up and down the field what I preferred, printed that.

On a couple of personal projects which required little movement I just switched to shooting 16:9 and kinda forgot about the 4:3/16:9 conversion.

Over the holidays I ditched a miserable Microsoft XP paperweight for a i5 PC with MS 7, then bought Adobe Premier Elements 10, and am trying to get a handle on it.
With the increased processing power I was considering starting to just try shooting at 1080 and then zooming 720 16:9 in processing for extra control, but I'm not really sure if it's even worth the hassle.
I dunno if the benefit will be there - for me, at least.
But I like the principle a great deal.
Cool tool. Not much use for it currently.

Gotcha.
Cool.
TY

I had actually done the same at 720, shot at 4:3, selected 16:9 in processing just to select up and down the field what I preferred, printed that.

On a couple of personal projects which required little movement I just switched to shooting 16:9 and kinda forgot about the 4:3/16:9 conversion.

Over the holidays I ditched a miserable Microsoft XP paperweight for a i5 PC with MS 7, then bought Adobe Premier Elements 10, and am trying to get a handle on it.
With the increased processing power I was considering starting to just try shooting at 1080 and then zooming 720 16:9 in processing for extra control, but I'm not really sure if it's even worth the hassle.
I dunno if the benefit will be there - for me, at least.
But I like the principle a great deal.
Cool tool. Not much use for it currently.
I do that often. you can scale down a 1080p about 30% and do slow tracking shots or slow tilts and render out to 720p and it looks great.

I use it to line up eyelines all the time and to allow motion smoothing (smoothcam in FCP/Shake) for the vertical jiggle when doing pans that I want flat. I can also introduce tilts into the camera if the cam op misses an actor's movement start or stop, I can start the tilt, then slow it into the actual tilt to blend them, but get them to start at the right time... pretty cool how much you actually can fix in post :)

I want this camera.

Shoot a wide? Crop it to a close up for your 1080 workflow, add slow tracking, stabilisation etc

Ohh, but who has a 4k TV?!? Would be a shame to shoot in 4K and never see it native.

Back