Jessica Alba: "Good actors never use the script"

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/8...ters-with-her-comments-general-attractiveness

Here's the gist if you don't want to click the link:

"Jessica Alba says, 'Good actors, never use the script unless it's amazing writing. All the good actors I've worked with, they all say whatever they want to say.' Forgetting for a second the weird punctuation in that first sentence -- is she instructing the shadowy legion of 'good actors' not to use the script? -- there's no context to know what inspired these thoughts. But that hasn't stopped several prominent writers from making their unhappiness known."

LOL as if she hasn't stabbed screenwriters in the heart enough, later in the article she says:

“The time I’m not spending with my kid has to be worth it, so when I sat down with my agents after I was ready to go back to work, I told them: It’s all about the directors.”

Aw, you're no fun. I was hoping for a nice little Jessica Alba roast thread. Here's another quote of hers:

"I've got cousins galore. Mexicans just spread all their seeds. And the women just pop them out."

I think this comes down to a misinterpretation of what she's saying. She says 'use' rather than 'read from', so it's hardly saying that there's no need for screenwriters at all.

What she's more saying, and which I, on the whole, agree with, is that a good actor will never use the script to tell them how to act. A good actor should read the script in order to know what to say, but after that it should be instinct that drives them and methodology, rather than painstakingly keeping to the sentiments of the texts.

But perhaps I'm inclined to agree with her because she's smokin' hot...

...and has loads of cousins apparently :)

I think she means that all really good actors improvise or rework or reword things and don't just follow the script word for word. Not too surprising. I tend to agree with that. She also says that they follow the script if it is really good.

I used to be obsessed with Jessica. I still have a thing for her. But now she is married to Cash. I really loved the series Dark Angel. She was really great in that. I also like Fantastic Four. Or how about the movie Lucky Chuck.

Last edited:
I think I get what Alba's saying. I usually invite actors to use their own words, as long as it doesn't change the meaning of the scene. I want them to act as natural as possible. I also tell them to not say "sorry, cut!" when they make a mistake. Mistakes can be good. If there is a screw up, I like to see them play off of that.

It's been my experience with actors that all they use is the dialogue and they make up their own stage direction. They will read the whole script just once or twice to get the gist of the story. Then, they improv their action and memorize their dialogue.

In that way, they are not using the script for story. They depend on the director to guide them through the story.

Thinking back it seems like just yesterday that no one cared what Jessica Alba had to say about anything.

Oh wait, it was just yesterday.

-Thanks-

No wonder she's such a bad actress.

If you truly believe that, then I have to wonder what it is you're doing here other than to learn what a good actor is.

Aw, you're no fun. I was hoping for a nice little Jessica Alba roast thread. Here's another quote of hers:

"I've got cousins galore. Mexicans just spread all their seeds. And the women just pop them out."
Seriously?

You're using a line from Machete and attributing it to her?

Lame.

If you can fill a pair of panties like her, you can forget the script !! WORD !

But seriously.. I want my talent to capture the mood & the essence more than the words. Give me your passion in the context of the scene and help me tell / sell the story FIRST ! I would rather have a true talent give me something deep and meaningful than follow a script and be mediocre.

The artistry is a dance between the talent and the director, entertain me with your skills, your drive , your passion and I'll take it if it fits the scene and my shot list !

I did glamour photography for years and it realized it is a symphony of what is both in front of the camera and what is behind the camera to make the creation come alive. Sometimes you just let the talent go and see what happens, it can be magic ! Other times you must treat them as if they are cattle, mindlessly going thru a maze. If you let some go free on their own and they shine, you can have magic. The "talent" has ideas, sometimes their ideas are better than yours, other times not. My ego is not that strong. i hope my "talent" has talent.

But ohh I have yet to make any good movies yet... shucks !

Last edited:
If you truly believe that, then I have to wonder what it is you're doing here other than to learn what a good actor is.

Pretty don't act.

Her job is to look good while playing simple roles that speak for themselves.

I doubt you've ever seen her play a very deep character.
Maybe that's why she believes this... all the roles she plays are pretty simple.

Maybe when the stories are that easy, there isn't much in the script to read?

Just cuz she's hot doesn't mean she can't act. Her acting is far superior to the vast majority of what's out there in the indie world. Okay, so she said something stupid. Who of us hasn't done that before? At least she got one thing right:

It’s all about the directors.

YEAH!!! :D

"Jessica Alba says, 'Good actors, never use the script unless it's amazing writing. All the good actors I've worked with, they all say whatever they want to say.'"

I think she says a right thing in an odd way. The job of an actor is to act, not to read the script (as some have already pointed out), that's what a good actor should be capable of doing. On the other hand when working with amateurs I would never let them improvise anything, even though I would adapt the dialogue to the way they speak in real life. Like in music, you have to know how to play an instrument before you can jam with others.

I find that very interesting.

Most of the actors I work with use the script was best the can, and only occasionally change things up--whether for a more natural feel, because they just mixed the lines up, or had a different idea. You have to be careful naturally, especially if you're a no-name actor working on a bigger set.

Day Players aren't going to come on set changing things around. That would be a disaster 95% percent of the time (for the actor's career).

However, once you get a name for yourself, you're more free to 'play' around. I personally got first-hand experience with this. I was just a day player on a bigger set...and the lead actor improved big time...I was a little frustrated trying to work my scripted lines to his...however, I asked the director (indirectly) if it was OK for me to 'play' also, and finally when I did, the scene was much more natural.

I don't know...I respect writers and their work. I will agree that some scripts *need* a good actors instincts, as long as they know how to get the point across...while other scripts shouldn't be changed at all.

Cheers.

Well, on my movie, she'd deliver every line exactly verbatim the way it was written in the script unless she had my express permission to do otherwise, or she'd be callling her ride home.

Back