• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

It is utterly IMMORAL to encourage new writers

I am utterly baffled why so many would engage in the raw evil of encouraging new writers.

There are four very, very good reasons why one should never encourage new writers:-

1. Encouraging new writers is the equivalent of trying to popularise taking up Russian Roulette as a sport. It is going to be an utter beating out there. 250,000 screenplays arrive each year in Tinseltown, of which just 600 are made and about 200 provide a sustainable living.

2. In an already crowed, packed field, encouraging someone talentless undermines hard working talented people, struggling to make ends meet.

3. In encouraging talentless people to take up writing, one is, de facto, encouraging them NOT to do what they are actually talented at, deriving them of a living and the world of whatever they are actually taleted at.

4. People generally work hard for their money. It is disgusting to see audiences waste their hard earned dough of watching utter crap produced from someone's bad screenplay.

By what criteria do you define talented or not? That is the question. Writing is not math, where 2+2=4, not 3 and not 5. There is no "right" answer in this.

P.S.
Michael Bay maybe makes bad movies, but his movies make money. So it's okay for the industry

Actually...

"The Island" lost a packet, wiped out various subsidiary companies, putting good hard-working technicians out in the street, as well as wasting numerous hard-working miners', steel workers', postmens', ambulance drivers' pay packet for the week, taking their girlfriends to see this utter trash.

Try any major agency in Hollywood, it's who you KNOW not how good you are and Michael Bay has zero talent, but KNOWS all the right people. Result? All the poor little people suffer.

Look, my central point is this...

There are many who believe that you should not say anything bad about a new writer's "work" or he will become discouraged. WRONG! People should be told the truth about what they have written... if it's dysfunctional tripe, filled with typos, written sloppily in uniintelligible slang then tell them that.

I joined one mutual script review site and took a week off work. I went through and reviewed EVERY DAMN SCREENPLAY that had been scheduled over the previous 6 months. I detailed every error on every damn page, that is, where I could understand them. Many of them were written in such deep American slang that they were utterly unintelligible and written from an intensely American view that it was beyond arrogant - the view that only the American way of life exists - that we all should understand it and must have experienced it. I review from tiny scale to grand scale and gave full opinion on plot character etc as well as spelling. In the commercial world that would be about $400 each for these 30 scripts or so. Result? Although I was bang on my mark, instead of having my screenplay reviewed, I was told that telling people openly what I thought was "discouraging new writers" and was kicked off site. To me, these must be idiots. The review and comments are not 1% of the roasting that a studio would give these scripts.

Editor, I don't know, I actually liked "The Island", but that's not the point...

I understand what you mean, and I know people who think exactly like you do.
There are 2 types of motivations:
1) - Tell one what to improve and encourage him to do that
2) - Tell one he's stupid, and make him try to prove he's not

Both motivate people to work harder. However, the first way works better in the long term. Why? Because one who works hard, because he was called stupid and tries to prove he's not, does it for his ego. It means, that he might follow a wrong goal. He might work hard even when he doesn't like what he's doing. It's always about "What others say", and it can ruin the person.

A good example:
Imagine a father who tells his son, - "You're pussy, not a man!". Do you really believe it's a good way to teach a boy to "be a man"?

"Anger leads to suffering" :P

Maybe truth can be told in various ways.
A bitter arrogant topping isn't everyone's taste.
Even if you are right, delicate subtlety can be applied.
Your reactions when you couldn't open a .pdf gave me the impression that you have an explosive character that doesn't settle for pointing to a problem, but has the need to burn the other completely down. I know I possibly couldn't be further from the truth: writing on a forum sometimes comes across differently than intended, but this is really the first impression you gave me.
A little less anger in your reactions to what is wrong according to you, will probably make a very big difference. I'm not disputing your knowlegde, talent or experience: who am I to judge? I actually think you have useful insights to share on IT. (I would actually send you a script if I had one (and brace myself ;) ).) It's just the self-destructive way you present it that I don't think is helping you. Unless you want to keep feeling like you are the only one who gets it and the rest of the world is against you. In that case: keep going steady as she goes. You'll stay in this bitter vicious circle that keeps the fire of your anger alive.

And yes: Micheal Bay may not be the most brilliant director ever, but I'm sure that spilling all your frustrations and giving bitter and hateful obliterating opions isn't the way how he got 'to know all the right people'.

BTW, I think it is sad they kicked you of that site after all your effort.

A good example:
Imagine a father who tells his son, - "You're pussy, not a man!". Do you really believe it's a good way to teach a boy to "be a man"?

Excellent example.
It could even be one of the underlying problems with mindless violence, office and school shootings and such...

Look, my central point is this... There are many who believe that you should not say anything bad about a new writer's "work" or he will become discouraged. WRONG! People should be told the truth about what they have written... if it's dysfunctional tripe, filled with typos, written sloppily in uniintelligible slang then tell them that.
There is a difference between pointing out errors and attacking a person's work. Do I think everyone's kid is cute? No. Does that mean I should be insulting their kid? No. The difference between punishment and discipline is that punishment only says what not to do. Discipline says what not to do and shows how it should be done or can be done better. Most people don't like to be pounded on all the time. And especially when starting out, we all make mistakes. It's not about being soft but being firm with guidance.

We all make mistakes. I don't know how many times I've had to bite my tongue pointing out every glaring typo in your posts. Others out there spot them as easily as I do. Does it make me a better person for rubbing them in your face? No. Does it make you edit your writing before posting or just put you on the defensive? I remind myself I'm not perfect. I can blame cut-n-paste, sticky keys, fast typing and a number of reasons for why mine occur. There is a point when picking out issues focus on improving the script slips over into attacking the person or their integrity.

I've had to deliver bad news to writers. I don't sugar coat it but I'm not out to make them want to give up writing either. I try to point out what is a problem and offer ideas or show how it might be done better. I am sincere when I see progress. If I like something, I say that too. And like I said, I can also speak volumes by remaining silent or choosing not to respond. Though sometimes that's due to my own workload.

I joined one mutual script review site and took a week off work. I went through and reviewed EVERY DAMN SCREENPLAY that had been scheduled over the previous 6 months. ...
It's clear that this is an intense passion for you. Most writers write about what they know best, drawing from their own lives. If it's an American site, I suppose that's what I'd expect. If it's a Greek or French site, I'd expect the same. Again, no one asked you to take off that time from work. No one forced you to read all those screenplays. No one said you had to read screenplays you found intolerable. No one, that is, except yourself. In the end, you need to ask yourself why you chose to do it?
I detailed every error on every damn page, that is, where I could understand them. ... I review from tiny scale to grand scale and gave full opinion on plot character etc as well as spelling. ... instead of having my screenplay reviewed, I was told that telling people openly what I thought was "discouraging new writers" and was kicked off site.
People really don't need every detail. It overwhelms them. If they have egregious spelling, I let them know. I may give one or two examples. The same with grammar. It's not my role as a "script reader" to be their proofreader. I point it out. I note deficiencies in structure, dialogue, characters and plot. It's not my role to fix them, just highlight them. I may offer a few suggestions that will make it easier and avoid a total re-write. My role is not to take ownership of their material and tell them how it should be written. Some new writers want that but again the firm side means putting the work back on them. We have some really talented writers on this group. And I learn from reading their works though I couldn't imitate that style. And that's okay. It still inspires me.
The review and comments are not 1% of the roasting that a studio would give these scripts.
Actually studios rarely roast. They simply pass. Studios don't give feedback. They send a nice letter thanking you for your submission but they have no interest at this time. The reader who gets your script needs to assess "Do I pass this up?". Most do not get past the mailroom. Those few scripts that do make it are fairly high caliber so the comments usually aren't acerbic and biting. Heaven knows there are nary a spelling, grammar or format error. Production studios are about 'production' not giving feedback. And for legal reasons, readers are often instructed not to comment except in the most general way. Often, the less you hear, the worse the script. A script that is receiving consideration is more likely to get constructive feedback about how it could be improved and re-submitted. It's important to have a thick skin because of critics and fellow writers, not studio readers.

Studios tend to give more bizarre plot twist suggestions to writers brought on--"Maybe make the hero into an ethnically diverse female heroine about the age of .... (actress they want to lure onto a project)." Script re-invention is nothing new.

My problem with some of those critique groups is they tend to fill with ambitionless writers. Note I did not say "talentless"; some have talent! They want a golden ticket. Rather than take the initiative to pick up a camera and shoot or network with other filmmakers, many simply want to be praised or hang their hopes on winning a contest as their ticket to fame. It becomes an ego coffee klatch. I've frequented various ones like JumpStreet, but honestly the return isn't worth the time invested. I prefer my drama to stay in front of the camera. Most of the critiques aren't backed by industry experience just personal biases. Not to say you can't sometimes get valuable feedback on some of these, just you have to sift through the advice. And when you're starting out, it's hard to know what is the chaff.

We're a fairly welcoming and supportive group here. We only ask that we show each other respect. We can sometimes be hard in our critiques but they shouldn't become personal attacks. Seems like it should be a commonsense guideline of civil discourse but we all slip up.

I'm not being paid to give full literary critiques, so I offer summary feedback and advice. How you choose to approach it is up to you, but do consider your audience here. Some of our contributors are 12-15 year olds. Some are in film school. Many are burgeoning amateurs. We also have a few professionals. This is an international group so not all have a full command of English. So there has to be some leniency regarding spelling and grammar. Most have already made films; they aren't 'wishful screenwriters' but active filmmakers. Their intentions are often to make a script for a film they plan to shoot themselves. We do get people who are simply interested in learning how to write scripts for submission, finding agents, how-to questions, etc. If you make your critiques practical and aimed at producing a festival worthy movie, even if harsh, the audience will be more attentive and appreciative of the feedback.

Last edited:
Bernie Maddoff made bullshit claims, but his scams made money. So it was okay for the banking industry?
Another odd comparison.

Bay doesn't tell us his movies are something they are not. People who pay
to see his movies know what they are getting. No one is scammed. People
who don't want to see his movies do not see them. The people who choose
to spend their hard-earned money seeing his movies do so with the full
knowledge of what they are getting for their money.

The criticism here is NOTHING compared to the utter roasting that one might expect from a studio who might reach a point of actually considering your script for productions.

Here are some things that have happened to me:-

- I knew someone distantly who knew someone in "Worn-Out Brothers". They were delighted with my script whichwas handed to them by ther producr friend and the first thing I knew was when I discovered that it had already been sent down to costing to evaluate the cost of producing this large feature that I had written. It was thewn expalined to me that it was expected of me to enter a sexual relationship with this woman and her producer friend at Worn-out Brothers. I was stunned and so phoed her directly and discovered that it was true. I bluntly refused. I recieved a message after that on my answerphone (back in the days when I had one) stating that the screenplay was great and totally suitable for production, but the character of the writer was not so they would not be pursuing it.

- Separate from the film industry, I have also had a number of foul job interviews. In one, I was told by a secretary to go into the manager's office and sit down and as he would be there in a couple of minutes. There were two chairs in the room so I sat in the lefthand one. A few seconds later, the manager strode in and told me "OK, you've sat in the wrong chair, you've failed the interview, get out." (And yes, that's all he said.)

- In another one, I first had to see Personnel Dept. They said that they were having really difficult time filling the position as everyone was overqualified. Although I was unsuitable for the post, she would send me to see the manager as she had to send someone. So I was then sent to see the manager. He told me that he was having a tough time filling the position as no-one that personnel was sending had enough qualifications to do the job, and although my qualifications were good, they were just no good enough.. so I was rejected.

Whatever is out there in the commercial world is waty worse that one would get here. It is far better for people to know that taking up writing is the literary equivalent of stick one's fingers in the electric socket rahter than being under delusions about it.

Another odd comparison.

Bay doesn't tell us his movies are something they are not. People who pay
to see his movies know what they are getting. No one is scammed. People
who don't want to see his movies do not see them. The people who choose
to spend their hard-earned money seeing his movies do so with the full
knowledge of what they are getting for their money.

That is not true.

3 out of every 5 people int he audience who paid to see "The Island" had left the cinema before the 20 minutes mark.

That is not true.

3 out of every 5 people int he audience who paid to see "The Island" had left the cinema before the 20 minutes mark.

And of those three, two asked for and got their money back. No one scammed
them into see the movie. And after one week in theaters people stopped going.
What about

Just like not using uppercase in a script is not morally the same as murder (a
comparison you made) and encouraging a new writer isn't morally the same
as trying to popularise taking up Russian Roulette what Bay does is not in any
ways similar to what Maddoff did.

You seem morally confused.

- Separate from the film industry, I have also had a number of foul job interviews. In one, I was told by a secretary to go into the manager's office and sit down and as he would be there in a couple of minutes. There were two chairs in the room so I sat in the lefthand one. A few seconds later, the manager strode in and told me "OK, you've sat in the wrong chair, you've failed the interview, get out." (And yes, that's all he said.)

So you fell on an extremely stupid manager, who probably believes in all the "People who think out of the box" shit and makes up stupid tests.

I can give you a more stupid example. I'm developing an app, a game. I went to an investor, and instead of asking me what was my project about, you know what he asked me? He asked about my socio-economical background. He asked who my parents work and how much do they earn...

My point is, there are a lot of stupid examples in the world, but you make strange conclusion out of them.

The criticism here is NOTHING compared to the utter roasting that one might expect from a studio who might reach a point of actually considering your script for productions.

Here are some things that have happened to me:-

- I knew someone distantly who knew someone in "Worn-Out Brothers". They were delighted with my script whichwas handed to them by ther producr friend and the first thing I knew was when I discovered that it had already been sent down to costing to evaluate the cost of producing this large feature that I had written. It was thewn expalined to me that it was expected of me to enter a sexual relationship with this woman and her producer friend at Worn-out Brothers. I was stunned and so phoed her directly and discovered that it was true. I bluntly refused. I recieved a message after that on my answerphone (back in the days when I had one) stating that the screenplay was great and totally suitable for production, but the character of the writer was not so they would not be pursuing it.
Uh, that's not how the system works. You were scammed from the start by the "person you knew distantly". Warner Brothers has a fairly strict submission policy. While I won't say scripts don't slip through without going through the channels, everything about this would have screamed scam to me. Hopefully no money was paid.

1. I'd never give a script to someone I barely knew to give to someone I don't know at all.
2. How did you discover it was sent for budgeting? Did Warner Bros send you a notice? BEFORE they even do costing, they would want to secure rights from you.
3. Sex with you? Seriously? I'm sorry, this part makes me smile. I'm sure it's flattering but that would be a sure sign that your "friend" and her friend have NO connections with Warner Bros. That would open the studio up to a horrendous lawsuit.

I empathize that it was a learning experience. I was similarly caught up once in scam when I began writing but fortunately was able to get away unscathed but wiser. There are a couple of sites you can use to evaluate potential scams: Preditors & Editors (http://pred-ed.com), alerts from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/alerts/).

I've been searching the Internet. Do you have a citation or link that backs up that statement:

"3 out of every 5 people int he audience who paid to see "The Island" had left the cinema before the 20 minutes mark."?

I've only found fairly positive reviews. Just curious where you read this or are pulling this from.

Back