movies Is this movie good?

The Big Chill?
St. Elmo's Fire?

LOL! I remember these being a big deal when I was a kid, The Big Chill more of the 30-something flick and St. Elmo's Fire, the quintessential 20-something "Brat Pack" flick. Never felt the urge to see either.

I still love The Big Chill, and was thinking about it just the other day. One of the (many) issues that it deals with is how we deal with the flaws of the dead, which is something that has long interested me & influenced my writing. It also has an amazing soundtrack that I still play when I'm driving.

St. Elmo's Fire was merely so/so, in my opinion.

For some reason, they are very different, but in my head, they meld. Also that On Golden Pond film, I lump in with these, I guess because these are all a group of friends, of a certain age, that get together.

I believe Mystic Pizza and Fried Green Tomatoes also? Same kinda film lol, no idea.

I believe Mystic Pizza and Fried Green Tomatoes also?
Because they both have food in the title?

I don't love either one, but Mystic Pizza has an amazing ensemble of actors that were just starting out on long careers: Julia Robert, Lili Taylor, Vincent D'Onofrio - hell, even Matt Damon has a small role. And Conchata Ferrell was (much) later well known for her recurring role on Two and a Half Men.

Maybe I am trying to go back and watch films I heard about that I never saw because they weren't my style. Nothing wrong with branching out but I feel I will be disappointed simply because it is not my style. Perhaps The Big Chill is worth a watch. Thanks!

Avatar is the kind of psuedo acceptable disaster that would happen if you gave Micheal Bay one of those pills from limitless. It was a good movie vs a boilerplate sci fi movie. It was a bad movie vs a 1 billion dollar 10 year development effort. I hear Cameron is planning a half dozen sequels all featuring the same antagonist, similar to what we saw in GI Joe with Cobra Commander

This is roughly what I think we are in for

but seriously, it's probably worth a watch on the basis of visual spectacle. Not every movie has to have the deep psychological undertones of Vanilla Sky.

Back