Is the new Sony Handycam a good buy

According to Tim Moynihan from PC World, the NEX-VG10 will cost around $2000 when released sometime in September.

Im sold.

(whops, I didnt see the price right on the web site.. !)

Last edited:
This is why I rent; not buy. :)

30 days ago it was T2i or 7D or GTFO.

What will the next 3 months bring?
smiley_mystery.gif

It's 60i. No 24fps.

I suppose you could get ur 24fps in post but its a bit mind boggling that they did not include the option to film in it, considering it seems to be aimed at indie filmakers using Canon 5D's, T2i's and 7D's.

It's 60i. No 24fps.

I suppose you could get ur 24fps in post but its a bit mind boggling that they did not include the option to film in it, considering it seems to be aimed at indie filmakers using Canon 5D's, T2i's and 7D's.

They don't seem to have learned any lessons from Canon. If I had a choice between this and a DSLR at the moment, I'd still go with the latter.

I dont think it WONT do 24p. Perhaps in the same way my canon hfs100 shoots 24p.

The file still comes out in a 60i wrapper, but the footage is 24p. Also, this is a software problem, they have several months to respond to customer demands for 24p, if its not there now, it probably will be by release date...

here's to hope, but in any event, more entries in the market just gives us more options..

Thanks

It's a freaking cmos sensor. Not offering true 24p in this day and age on any new camera is just inexcusable. No reason in a digital world that we should be dealing with 60i pull-down nonsense. Just give me true 24p already.

you can use the sony alpha lenses but u need an adapter.

and imho, after watching footage on their official website, i still like the canon dslr's better. we do not know yet whether the camera will have aliasing issues but even if it doesnt, a clearer image does not mean a better image in terms of film.

has anyone else checked out the footage on their website? i dont know which lenses they were using but i did not like the feel of it... or the bokeh. infact the bokeh looked kind of like a smeared background.

Just wait for the Canon and Panasonic interchangeables to come out. Sony has been making nothing but turds in the camcorder market lately. The photos look great, but eh.

the lenses turn clockwise to zoom in on the sony and the canon ones turn anti-clockwise. this would annoy me greatly.

I dont think many people will buy this until the other companies have released their version, this looks like the perfect solution for any indie filmmaker because all the extra things you might put on a dslr rig are already there like the display and, (do you think that microphone could take the place of a boom mic, d'ya reckon it would be just as good?)

looks nice as well ;)

EDIT: u can buy a 'gun mic' $229.99 and it connects by minijack :-S and thats a listed 'accessory' it would be cheaper and better to buy a different one wouldnt it?

EDIT II: 24Mbps - does that mean 1 second of footage is 24 MB? so a minute would be like 1 and a half gig? that cant be right...? also you couldnt really attatch an external because it only has a 3.5mm and people here have said that will caus buzzing or interference or something?

Last edited:
Back