• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Inexpensive with 1080 res and 24fps?

My colleague and I are starting out with shooting video for weddings. She's a tenured photographer but is new to the video field. We've been shooting sample footage for clients using Canon T2i's which are phenomenal, but they overheat after abou 10 minutes of prolonged shooting. We need something inexpensvie to use for the background for safety shots. Does anyone know what model of camcorder will record in 1080p at 24fps and won't break a beginner's bank? Thank you in advance.:yes:

One just like UC's will be on the used market very soon! lol (reference to the fact that Im selling my video setup which used that cam and a Letus extreme)

Seriously though, I hear that getting a battery grip will help with the overheating. There are lots of video camera that will do what you need. From a few hundred $$$ to $15K or more.

Another alternative might just be to buy another T2i body. When one overheats, grab the other. FWIW , Shane Hurlbut does this with 7D's or so his blog says..

Just a word of caution: I shoot weddings and many, if not most of them, will have a heart attack during the ceremony with two videographers and a photographer buzzing around the front of the church and being close enough for DSLR's with average lenses. It's extremely distracting.

Without getting into all the production details, there are preferred and accepted ways to shoot a ceremony. How were you planning on capturing sound? That's an expensive biggie.

We have a two-videographer setup paired with a two-photographer setup. Our audio is captured externally on a H4n sound recorder. (The ceremony itself determines whether a wireless lav mic is used or the H4n is just strategically placed to get the best overall.) We are very good at staying out of the way. The real issue is keeping a continuous input line of video since the T2i's can't shoot continuous safely for more than 10 minutes. We have quite a number of different lenses, so our proximity isn't an issue.

We have a two-videographer setup paired with a two-photographer setup. Our audio is captured externally on a H4n sound recorder. (The ceremony itself determines whether a wireless lav mic is used or the H4n is just strategically placed to get the best overall.) We are very good at staying out of the way. The real issue is keeping a continuous input line of video since the T2i's can't shoot continuous safely for more than 10 minutes. We have quite a number of different lenses, so our proximity isn't an issue.

Interesting. Maybe it's a regional thing...anyhow, a medium-wide shot from the back of the venue can serve as an establishing shot and cutaway shot whenever the DSLRS(s) need a breather. A consumer camcorder, like the Canon Vixia line or anything with native 24P, will do this for you, but the limitations will be the glass, poor low light performance and the lack of ability to customize settings to try to match shots in post. So, the long winded answer is ;) there is no inexpensive option that will come close to matching your T2i's. For the time being you'll just have to pick one until plan B is doable.

By the way, I'm a fellow T2i owner.

Canon's Vixia line is one that comes to mind. I personally use the HFS100, but not for weddings.
Yes i also do agree with Uranium City on this. You can try your luck with Canon VIXIA HF100 HD Camcorder First it will not be expensive on your pockets. You can also try Panasonic AG-HVX200 for HD video at 1080p and at a lower price too.

I was looking at the Vivitar Series 1 Deluxe Battery Grip for Canon EOS Rebel T2i. I'm curious; the description says "prolonged shooting time." Does this mean for the video aspect as well? The T2i can get rather warm with the internal battery running. Does the external rig solve this issue?

Here's the link I found. http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-Battery-Lithium-Replacement-DavisMAX/dp/B004L5TCVS

Power is power - if you can shoot more photos you can shoot more video. The battery grip may help cool it by moving the battery away from the processor and sensor, and having a larger surface area will certainly help, but being "rather warm" isn't necessarily a problem: if the body wasn't warm then the heat being generated inside would be doing some serious damage.

First I would ask, what model SDHC card are you using? I've done a lot of reading and from what I can tell, its not necessarily overheating but rather the SD card isn't able to keep up. Just because it may say class 10 does not mean its performing at that standard. As for the grip, I got mine in the mail for $30 including shipping from amazon for the T2i. It feels great and well made and I'm sure that would help with any possible overheating issues that could occur. I guess your only 2 minutes away from the max recording time anyhow for 1080p, so not bad I guess. Good luck!

Back