• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'm having trouble writing my script

ok, so I have the first two scenes planned out exactly, every shot thought out etc. I know exactly what my characters are going to be like personality wise. Except, here's the problem. I don't actually know what to do now. I can't think of an actual story, just certain scenes I have in my head. Any tips?

I know I'm being a bit vague, I'd just rather keep my idea secret haha.

A few simple ideas might be:

1. Try the “What if” game:

What if… I did something like the movie Speed, except in my story there is a bomb wired to someone’s alarm clock, I’ll call it Snooze.

What if… A kid sued his parents?

What if… Some parents sued their kids?

What if… Plankton exacted its long awaited cruel revenge on mankind?

2. You can look at newspapers or news articles online, and maybe build on something from reality.

3. You can explore fables and fairytales and stories and myths (etc) with classic themes, and see if any of the morals or themes catch your eye. From there maybe consider how through your script you might demonstrate one of these classic themes, but perhaps in a modern way, or with a new twist to it.

-Thanks-

To be clear; I'm not asking you to reveal your
idea - this is just my tip:

What is your idea? Is your idea characters and
shots? If that's all your idea is, then you don't
have a script to write - you have an opening scene.
If your idea is what happens to the characters then
you have a script. That's what your story is - what
happens to your characters.

If you can't think of a story to tell then you shouldn't
be writing. I don't mean ever. I don't mean you can't
be a writer. I mean you shouldn't be thinking of writing
a screenplay until you have a story you want to tell.

So for right now, how about just writing down the scenes
you have in your head. Write ever scene you have. Then
leave it for a while and come back to it in a month. See
if reading those scenes spark a story idea. If not then you
need to think up a STORY first and add characters and shots
later.

ok, so I have the first two scenes planned out exactly, every shot thought out etc. I know exactly what my characters are going to be like personality wise. Except, here's the problem. I don't actually know what to do now. I can't think of an actual story, just certain scenes I have in my head. Any tips?

I know I'm being a bit vague, I'd just rather keep my idea secret haha.

I wrote my first script this way - it took 5 years (no joke!)

Get a good screenwriting book (I like Syd Fields' stuff - Blake Synder depresses me) - the stuff you'll learn will help the process no end (my second script took 6 months - that's a 1000% improvement :))

The following is my opinion as always.

As many people in this forum know, I hate following specific screenplay format/structure as explained in books. I've read quite a few... Save the Cat, Sequencing Method, Syd Fields' stuff, etc. I don't like it and probably never will. Personally I don't like trying to stuff a circle into a square.

That being said, you should really look into a book by Stephen King called "On Writing"... That's all I'm going to say about that.

RIK gives some sharp advice. I say do what he said. It's a good start. Also, If you tell us a little about your story then maybe we can be of more help. But as of right now we don't have much to go off of. There is no harm in telling us the general idea of the story you have in mind. If you keep it basic there's not really much to steal.

Each to their own :)

I found the Syd Field books very helpful - my screenwriting improved dramatically (IMHO) as a consequence. I agree about Blake Synder though - his view of screenwriting is that you're wasting your time if it isn't commercial (for those who haven't read 'Save the Cat', apparently Legally Blonde is the greatest script ever...)

(for those who haven't read 'Save the Cat', apparently Legally Blonde is the greatest script ever...)

Haha! He does talk up a lot of lame and so-so scripts. The thing about Snyder is that his book is written for spec writers -- I don't think his motive is to teach anyone how to write the best script ever -- more so how to sell one.

What I liked most about "Save the Cat" is the general structure, and the way he describes how to use The Board really clicked with me.

LessThanThreeLeo, it sounds to me like you don't yet really have a story. A scene can be a nice place to start, but do you have a logline? I'd say a logline is just about the most critical place to start. You need to be able to tell us, in one sentence, what the entire movie is about.

take the scenes you have in your head and write them out, then work the plot forward and backwards from that point... the outline can then get fleshed out with action and dialog (one sentence about what happens in the scene or its purpose in the story would be enough to get the backbone of the story in place).

I agree with everyone about Snyder, his book had some great ideas but it was way too rigid.

But it would help to look at the board he uses, it's great for linking random ideas together and seeing where you have plot holes.

Im a total newb but heres my 2 cents. I would tell you to write a story. Forget the shots and

camera angles and worrying "how" youre going to do it, and just write a story. You said you already

know your characters so now put them in that first situation you already have in your head

and.....write. Doesnt have to be good. just get something on paper. Then you can say I do/dont

like that and do it over or keep it. Then you can worry about angles and thermoflanges, and flux

capacitors and all that other jazz. IMHO

"I can't think of an actual story..."

I will avoid ranting, raving and frothing, though I'm not sure why.

If you don't have something to say, why are you typing?

Better to specialize, learn a craft (well), and hook up with a talented writer.

"I can't think of an actual story..."

I will avoid ranting, raving and frothing, though I'm not sure why.

If you don't have something to say, why are you typing?

Better to specialize, learn a craft (well), and hook up with a talented writer.

You're basically telling him to give it up, and he's barely just starting. Were you so good at everything you tried, when you tried it for the very first time?

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

>3Leo, it's natural for a scene and/or a character pop into your head -- this can happen while taking the Browns to the Super Bowl. But if you want to write a screenplay, you really need a story, first. Play some of Buddies brainstorming games. Come up with a logline. Work from there. And get organized.

Before you figure out shots or lines of dialogue or anything, figure out your story.

1) Who is your lead character.
2) What do they want.
3) What prevents them from getting what they want?
4) What are the consequences for NOT getting what they want?

and/or:

1) Who is your lead character?
2) What is the worst thing that could ever happen to them?
3) Make that happen to them.

- Bill

just to add my advice as well - know your characters. Not just "she is 5 11, slim, hot, big boobs, dark hair " *drooling* .. but her personality, how did she develop that personality, who are her parents, how was she at school, was she a drama queen, or a book worm. Pretty much create a brand new person.

Come up with a story. Simple story. Don't go christopher nolan s**t on us. See how this character will react to the situations that you'll place them. How do they interact with one another..

writing a screenplay is not as easy as I thought would be first time I started learning. It takes LOTS of practice.

As far as creating the story: look around you. Write everything that is in your head on A4 type of paper. There is a reason why you want to make a movie, or write a screenplay. As you're writing crap down you can read it back, and maybe you can come up with something.

Let me try. Yogurt napkin knife fettuccini laptop chair plant curtain..

Ok, how about this short film: A cougar from the local zoo broke free, and harassing the neighborhood. One man, who never leaves his house, and only lives through internet (pretty much a nerd) doesn't know about incident. Cougar breaks into the man's house. He has to face the challenge to either break his old habits or become a neighborhood hero. FIN.

Simple and stupid, but you got the idea..

Now, i'm back to my yogurt and fetuccini.

Cheers for all the responses to far guys. I'll be a bit more specific to see if you can help me with specific ideas. Basically, I want to story to be about a boy who is a selective mute who meets a deaf girl. He's a pessimist and she's an optimist. Any ideas?

What're the pictures in your head for the couple of moments that you've had pop in and out of your mind's eye?

Is it dark or bright, clean or grungy, blue, red, yellow... start simple and work together the layers over time... it'll get you to the finish line the fastest.

Back