I need a push to start my career. Help?

So, I'm 17, and for a few years now i've been pretty interested in directing. I had always been interested in acting, but I have become alot more interested in directing. Problem is i've been too much of a wuss to buy a camera and start doing things. I always have an excuse, like I cant afford a camera. I could save up from my job and buy one, but then i'd be broke. So, I guess i'm just asking for a push. I know that film is what I want to do, so it's not like i'm unsure, just scared. Have you guys been through this? How can I overcome it and just do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks:)

I haven't started out myself either, but I'm going to get around to it.

The best thing to do is if you even have a crappy camera or a friend has one, borrow it and go shoot stuff. After a while maybe try to plan what you're shooting and make a story out of it.

Last edited:
The besta advice I can give you right now is to go and make a movie.
You don't need a big fancy camera. I bet you have either a point and shoot wth video mode, a cellphone camera or even a friend that can lend you one.
Just write something an shoot a couple of scenes.
Cut them together in movie maker and watch you rfinal result.

It will suck. It will suck bad. Audio will be hissing, video will be chopy. Acting will be horrible and lighting is not even worth mentioning.

Now, if you see this and give up, go find something else to do.
If you see your movie and start thinking on what can you do better next time, I have good news for you.

Do this until you start seeing your movies as something worthy of showng around,.

Work on as many indie productions as you can...wearing any hat you feel you can muster. See who you meet and can collaborate with...if you find a DP with a camera, you may be able to hold off on buying one right away, and simply direct...

Naturally, you'll want to befriend a lighting designer and sound guy as well...you'll want a few good lights (with gels) and a decent boom.

You'll then also want to consider a writer...and an editor. Or you can do those yourself for your first few to shorts.

If after working a few sets or collaborative shorts you still are interested, I'd say save up for starter HD cam or DSLR. And don't forget a computer and an editing suite. Perhaps you can use your friends, or again get these things for yourself. You can save the money...it just may take a few summers. Unfortunately you can't be lazy. It takes hard work both in saving and building your empire, and producing a film.

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited:
Work on as many indie productions as you can...wearing any hat you feel you can muster. See who you meet and can collaborate with...if you find a DP with a camera, you may be able to hold off on buying one right away, and simply direct...

Naturally, you'll want to befriend a lighting designer and sound guy as well...you'll want a few good lights (with gels) and a decent boom.

You'll then also want to consider a writer...and an editor. Or you can do those yourself for your first few to shorts.

If after working a few sets or collaborative shorts you still are interested, I'd say save up for starter HD cam or DSLR.

Cheers and good luck.

This guy is asking to just start out, I doubt he's going to need to collaborate with dedicated lighting designers, audio guys, etc right now. Just make movies with a cheap ass camera until you get good with it. Take it one step at a time.

This guy is asking to just start out, I doubt he's going to need to collaborate with dedicated lighting designers, audio guys, etc right now.
Why not?

I can't think of a better way to learn than to volunteer on the
sets of other filmmakers. Setting up c-stands and flags for a
dedicated gaffer is a great to learn about lighting. Pulling cable
for an audio guy is a great way to learn about recording for
movies. Labeling tapes for a DP is a great way to understand
what the camera department does.

When I was 15 I worked on a college film doing a little bit of
everything. I met a girl who was the camera assistant on that
film and we got to talking about a film I wanted to make. She
ended up shooting it for me a year later.

shellbee, you don't need to own a camera to be a director. It can
help, but it's not necessary. Volunteer on other peoples movies as
M1chae1 suggests. Meet other people with the same interests as
you. You might meet someone who already owns a camera who is
willing to shoot your movie.

You say you're interested in acting. Act for free in other people's
movies. Talk to the people in the camera department. Who knows?
Maybe the assistant wants to be a DP and the boom op wants to
be the recordist.

I wrote this on your other thread, but dunno...

You don't need a big fancy camera. I bet you have either a point and shoot wth video mode, a cellphone camera or even a friend that can lend you one.

It will suck. It will suck bad. Audio will be hissing, video will be chopy. Acting will be horrible and lighting is not even worth mentioning.

If you see your movie and start thinking on what can you do better next time, I have good news for you.

Do this until you start seeing your movies as something worthy of showng around,.

Well, volunteering for sets and working for free is great advice.

However, I assumed that Michael was advising TC to go ask pro sound and audio guys to work on his movie with him, even though he is just a beginner and trying to learn the basics. Its perfectly alright to ask for some advice from pros and collaborate with friends or classmates who have a camera or other equipment, but going out to find professional designers and stuff seems a bit overkill at his level. I doubt there are many "pros" that would work without pay for a first time movie maker with no experience.

EDIT: Woops, after re-re-reading Michael's post he said " after working on a few sets." Nevermind.

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys!
Good advice.
I put a few ads on Craigslist looking for others in the same boat as me, and asking if I could help any one else on their projects, so hopefully something more will come from that.
Thanks again!

ERRGGHH! GREGHHH! (That's the sound of me pushing you)

Lots of good advice above. Volunteer to work on other people's movies. AND make your own short movies, with whomever you can get to volunteer their time (in the beginning, that usually means friends/family).

I see the University of North Florida is in your hometown. I see they have a communications dept., with a degree in Electronic Media. I gaurantee you will find plenty of students who need volunteers to work on their projects. This would be a great way to network.

It looks like the 48 Hour Film Project comes to Jacksonville every summer. I highly recommend it. If you aren't able to form your own team (but you should), there are networking resources for you to join someone else's team.

I'm in your position! I'm 15 and have been wanting to direct for the past 3 years but haven't done anything. All I have been doing is watching Indie Films and their special features imagining I was in their position making that film and also trying to learn off them. I have learned a lot about film but never can motivate myself to actually do anything to directing. I'm just really trying to push myself to get film ideas in my head and write short film scripts. I understand, it is so hard so I can't really give too much advice but I am really trying to work on script writing right now and once I finish some, I will just start planning how to make it and then with what ever camera I got, I will make the film. But you are not alone!

Just to clarify, I never mentioned 'pro' talent...I'm talking about indies. Meet other budding talent on indie sets willing to collaborate...build an empire together.

Most of the talent you find on indie sets will be in a fledgling status of sorts...learn together...collaborate together. But do not hold yourself to mediocrity...if you are able to land a PA or gaffer job on a larger indie (a team with experience, I don't mean 'pro'), then do it. Get your hands dirty. Get in deep. Learn as much as you can.

As 'go-getter' as it sounds to just get up and shoot your own movie, I do not suggest you do it with a cellphone camera. That, to me, is a waste of time. Use that time on other sets instead. Gather a team, and gather experience...and when you're ready, shoot a short on a real camera. Regardless what you see on Youtube...shooting on a cellphone will do you no good.

Last edited:
this good advice

but i would have to add; I would start with 12.0 MP Digital Video Camera Camcorder HD DV or any camcorder you have and Olympus VN-5000 Digital Voice Recorder with a Microphone and Headphones. I would start editing with Microsoft Movie Maker, Avid FreeDV or Wax. They are all free software for editing. Just google them. There are lots of how to videos out. You can fine them on http://www.wonderhowto.com/ or http://www.youtube.com.

My advice to you is to start saving. I know it seems impossible sometimes but you have to buckle down and go without things for a while to save money. For example, For the last 2 years my wife and I havent been out to the movies, have quite smoking and done everything in our power to pay off this 10,000 dollar credit card debt we have. Now the debt is almost gone and because of that im investing into a really a nice camera.

Don't let anyone talk you into putting it all on a credit card. Credit cards are the devil in my opinoin.

hey.. u dnt need to buy a cam for being a dir.. u can obviously hire them wen u require them for shoot.. for bein a dir u dont need to buy equipments.. read.. write.. think.. dream.. imagine and see good films,art,books,etc is all u need.. cheerz

Everyone here have some good advice. There is no one way or one path but there is one thing you must do - just do it. Find a way and do it.

I just produced my first short. The quality is poor (light, shots, etc) but I like the story and the acting and it came through despite the problems in production. I even put it on youtube and don't mind others seeing it though it may be torn apart, but I did it and I know now what not to do and what to do better. I knew nothing about filmaking and now I can't wait to do more. I do not own a camera, a mike, light, etc. I ask, borrow, and rented (at low cost). I just did it. I hope you do too.

I have many other projects I want to produce but I am aiming for much higher professional quality and seeking the help to get them done.

This is my first film - Retraction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVzlWXfzD4c

I hope it inspires you to try and not deter you, :P.

In my opinion it’s never a waste of time to shoot anything on any
camera. There is so much more to making a movie than the camera.
If all you have available is a cellphone you can still learn about
writing a script, working with actors, scheduling people, running
a set, getting the right coverage and editing.

Oldboy director Park Chan-wook recently shot a 30 minute movie
using the iPhone. Now I'm not suggesting that either of you (shellbee
or jkortje) will make a movie as ambitions as his, but you sure can
learn a lot using a cellphone camera. More than you can learn by NOT
making movies until you get a "real" camera.

I saw an excellent short film shot on the iPhone at a festival recently.
The director was 17.

Back