I need a push to start my career. Help?

So, I'm 17, and for a few years now i've been pretty interested in directing. I had always been interested in acting, but I have become alot more interested in directing. Problem is i've been too much of a wuss to buy a camera and start doing things. I always have an excuse, like I cant afford a camera. I could save up from my job and buy one, but then i'd be broke. So, I guess i'm just asking for a push. I know that film is what I want to do, so it's not like i'm unsure, just scared. Have you guys been through this? How can I overcome it and just do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks:)

In my opinion it’s never a waste of time to shoot anything on any
camera. [ ...] If all you have available is a cellphone you can still learn about
writing a script, working with actors, scheduling people, running
a set, getting the right coverage and editing.

I agree. Imagine you had a great script, actors, passion... but just a cheap camera. You'd learn a lot by just getting out there... and if the project was really good, you could reshoot later. Once you'd made the right cuts, found out what works, got a soundscape, script changes and music together, you could beg a prosumer cam for a couple of days, and reshoot the film on HD. You'd have to make fiddly alterations but a lot of the post work you'd done would be ready for the upgraded version.

Editing takes longer than shooting. We're in the age of no excuses.

Oldboy director Park Chan-wook recently shot a 30 minute movie
using the iPhone.

I read about this, I want to see it...

In my opinion it’s never a waste of time to shoot anything on any
camera. [ ...] If all you have available is a cellphone you can still learn about
writing a script, working with actors, scheduling people, running
a set, getting the right coverage and editing.

I agree. Imagine you had a great script, actors, passion... but just a cheap camera. You'd learn a lot by just getting out there... and if the project was really good, you could reshoot later. Once you'd made the right cuts, found out what works, got a soundscape, script changes and music together, you could beg a prosumer cam for a couple of days, and reshoot the film on HD. You'd have to make fiddly alterations but a lot of the post work you'd done would be ready for the upgraded version.

Editing takes longer than shooting. We're in the age of no excuses.

Oldboy director Park Chan-wook recently shot a 30 minute movie
using the iPhone.

I read about this, I want to see it...

Back