I just wrote out a scene about a ships stored in space.

I have been writing this in my mind for awhile, so, with some time in the new year, I did write it, and, as always, I feel good.

The vessels floated in deep space, far from any star system. Each was shaped like an elongated bullet, with a sharp point at the end. Their metallic hulls glinted from the dim light of the surrounding stars, each several light years away. These ships were in the hundreds, and they formed a cube, with each one in a matrix point perfectly aligned with its neighbor. At the edges of the cube, a light force field shimmered gently, protecting the interior occupants from cosmic radiation.

Inside each vehicle were consoles, made not by human hands but which could easily be manipulated by thumbs and fingers. The interiors were all cold, same as the temperature of space, and also as dark as space. The engines, deep inside, hummed gently, to ensure the vessel remained in its assigned spot.

I have a different version, about derelict ships that are in an orbital shipyard, and they're corroding because of eons of cosmic radiation. The thing is that, if I was to stick to one universe, I could be restricted, but, since I am just writing out random thoughts, I can go through the permutations and combinations. I have been writing out bits and pieces of several storylines, a few which are mutually exclusive, and, if all goes well, some of them may become good stories.

Thanks for taking the time to read my writings, and you have given me the best holiday present possible.

The essence of writing is re-writing.

The vessels floated in deep space, far from any star system. Each was shaped like an elongated bullet, with a sharp point at the end. Their metallic hulls glinted from the dim light of the surrounding stars, each several light years away. These ships were in the hundreds, and they formed a cube, with each one at in a matrix point perfectly aligned with its neighbor. At the edges of the cube, a light force field shimmered gently, protecting the interior occupants from cosmic radiation.

Inside each vehicle were consoles, made not by human hands but which could easily be operated manipulated by thumbs and fingers. The interiors were all cold and dark, like space. same as the temperature of space, and also as dark as space. The engines, deep inside, hummed gently, to ensure the vessel remained in its assigned spot.

Alcove Audio

Business Member
indieBIZ
I have a different version, about derelict ships that are in an orbital shipyard, and they're corroding because of eons of cosmic radiation. The thing is that, if I was to stick to one universe, I could be restricted, but, since I am just writing out random thoughts, I can go through the permutations and combinations. I have been writing out bits and pieces of several storylines, a few which are mutually exclusive, and, if all goes well, some of them may become good stories.

Why not use both? A "piece of the puzzle" for your story could be moving ships from orbital storage sites to deep space storage sites to prevent deterioration. Then your characters could talk about the ships, what happens to them, why they are doing what they are doing, etc.

My current WIP, "Outpost 217," is also set when humanity has gone interstellar (settling the Perseus arm and the Orion Spur, but no living aliens in my story). Even with Faster-Than-Light/Warp drives it can still take days or weeks to go from one system to another, so there is A LOT of "dead time" for those in transit or awaiting transportation. Here's where my characters have quite a few discussions. I'm currently outlining one section where everything goes to blazes, and the tension caused by the long transit times and worry of the unknown come to the fore.

They were all part of a potential web series, which I was going to produce, as a precursor to being a mogul. The problem, however, is that, as the bits and pieces grow, they begin to contradict each other. My web series dealt with humans being the first in the universe to rise to intelligence. But, if so, then they would not come across either derelict ship yards or ships placed in perfect formations, because the web series takes place in the 22nd Century, right after FTL was discovered.

So I'm going to tear the concepts apart and write them as separate stories, which would allow me to go through the permutations and combinations without fear of contradicting canon.

BTW, my mentor saw some of my writing and suggested I skip doing short films and web series, and just go with a story that can be made into a film. This was several years ago, and, as I said, I will be talking to him soon about a business plan.