• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I just finished my first full-length feature screenplay.

Shooting is scheduled to begin in a month-and-a-half (though, I'm yet to cast one major role). Ultra-low-budget indie.

Anybody wanna read this script and offer brutally honest feedback?

If you don't want to be a screenwriter, why are you seeking feedback in the screenwriting section? Make your movie, and then get it torn apart. :)

No, I just mean to say that I don't have any aspirations to be a professional screenwriter, submitting screenplays to be sold. That doesn't mean I'll never write a screenplay, as in situations like this one. And, before I press "record" on the camera, I'd like the screenplay to be as good (er, least-crappy) as possible.

These are some really good notes you two have offered so far. I said I'd be gone for two weeks, but I couldn't resist the temptation to check in on immediate feedback. But, I do think it's a good idea for me to step away from this project, so that when I come back, I'll be reading my script with somewhat fresh eyes, and will probably be much more receptive to any notes anyone is offering. So, I plan to stay away for two weeks, but this time I mean it. :)

Thanks!

I like it so far.

1st 50- 60 pages have typical stuff that can be touched up.

*There are spots that can be tighter and/or funnier very easily.
*Spots where the exposition just has to be tamed.
*Some opportunity to break cliché (which can be fun).
*Some wooden stuff that just has to be reconsidered.
*A little character endearing.
*And some stuff you can just lose and no one would miss it.
*All the standard action line conforming stuff.

If 100% original, there are some gems in it too:

Road Warrior / Sister analogy – Love it.

Yoda kicking on nursing a 40 lol – Love it.

Wait, did you say “floppy”?
That ain’t exactly what I’m looking for in a titty
.” – Love it.

It’s not a wrist slitter so far, so I don’t anticipate being disappointed by the second half.

-Thanks-

Logline: Pork Rind, a low-life petty-thief, with his best-friend/partner-in-crime by his side, uses his newfound psychic power to become a better thief, until they stumble upon a runaway girl in need of their help.

That's an interesting logline and you have my attention. It's the kind of film I want to see.

The Acid Bath

1. Who wants what from whom? PASS.
2. What happens if they don't get it. FAIL. You didn't tell us what's at stake.
3. Why now? (NOT APPLICABLE IN A LOGLINE)
4. Why the hell should I care? FAIL. A couple of people pointed that out. Why should we get behind these guys?

Become a better thief? Not concrete enough. Why does he want to become a better thief? Giving him a concrete goal, a time limit and a REASON for doing it would improve things. In Clerks, you had all three elements underscoring the 'mindless' banter.

*A little character endearing.

Okay, I find myself on page 13, asking myself, "Why should I care about these punks?"

I haven't read the script yet, but two people have mentioned this so far. I think it's essential to have something that endears the characters to the audience. That's what the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs was all about, for example. If they are thieves, make us like them somehow. I reckon your dialogue might be good enough to bring the characters to life, but I'd still like to see a reason to like them.

I feel you can shoot the thing and will probably work out in the cutting room what works and what doesn't, but you will waste time, energy and money shooting some of the weaker scenes. Therefore, I think a table reading's essential. All the big comedies do it. Could save you days of shooting scenes that just don't work. See if the script, or at least the main scenes, work as a radio play first. When I make a feature, I'm going to make a radio play first, then a radio play with soundscape, then a photomatic, then the real thing.

I'll hang out here because I think your writing has potential. You seem good at taking crit, which is a positive sign.

Last edited:
Shooting is scheduled to begin in a month-and-a-half (though, I'm yet to cast one major role). Ultra-low-budget indie.

Anybody wanna read this script and offer brutally honest feedback?

In the title of your post you stated that you JUST FINISHED your script. If true and you are going to start shooting in a month and a half may I state that you might be setting yourself up for failure? Why not let others look at it and do rewrites first. Are you going to get all the preproduction (storyboards, mapping how sounds will lay on the tracks, give actors time to practice their lines, making sure you have scouted locations available, etc. etc. etc.) I understand you are an eager beaver but why make a feature if you are just hurrying the process. Just throwing this out there because preproduction is extremely important especially in a feature. But good luck with everything and I hope you have a successful shoot.

As for the screenplay, as long as it's in typical screenplay form and an easy read (not a damn novel), I'll give you feedback. Please note: I am known to set it down and stop reading it if you are handing me crap. But at least I will give you an honest opinion up to that point and will hopefully give you some quality notes. Send me a message on this board for my email address and I will need it in PDF form.

Good luck.

And congrats on your first written feature.

It's 146 pages.

Maybe you shouldn't give it to me. Sorry but I didn't get that far in your post and that is a bit too long for me. I'll see if I can get through the first 30 pages if I were to read anything else.

Last edited:
VP: I was going to mention the the page number and white page test, but I thought that everyone would think I was going a little overboard. It's good to know others know these things.

Overboard? Hell no, it is a standard and SHOULD be followed. If people don't know this then they need to start learning how to write a screenplay before shooting it.

Every book, teacher or even myself knows that after you finish a screenplay walk away from it for at least 2 weeks (even better a month)

I like 6 months so I'm really fresh.

I have to admit, after reading this thread I'm a bit nervous about reading anything from this script. I get bored real easy when shit isn't done right. I have a feeling I will be teaching you how to write a screenplay (up to the first 30 pages) rather then telling you anything about your story.

Let me ask just one question if you don't mind............What is your dilemma? Or if anyone who has read this monster can you explain it back to me?

I would like to read as I would like to know what is a ultra low budget script like .
padma

To be honest Padnar, it should be like an ultra high budget script. Or a medium low budget. Or mid to upper level high budget film. Or a no budget feature film.

Meaning, the screenwriting format should all look the same from script to script. That is why they set up certain rules in screenwriting and it makes it easy on the readers. It's about the story, not how creative of a writer you are. Now some can get away with changing things up, but they are few and far between.

EDIT: Now a shooting script will look different from the reading script though.

Last edited:
Reading it now and enjoying it...

Others have commented on the bigger issues so this is line by line. I like your characters so it's fun sharpening this up. This is just my opinion. I'm making notes as I go so sometimes I don't get where you're going til the next page. Not everything I say will be right but it's some fresh eyes. My comments sound terse but it's not meant like that.

PORK RIND
You're retarded.

- Needs a better comeback.

STOGIE
You suck.

- Ditto. I know these are just 'regular guys' but you can spice it up somehow.

Whatever man, there ain't nothin in here. Pop the trunk.
- I'd change it to: Ain't nothing here. HE POPS THE TRUNK (As a stage direction)

STOGIE
It's pretty weird, no doubt.

- Artificial sounding.

PORK RIND
Sounds intruiging.

- Artificial sounding. Show don't tell. "No shit I never heard of that." Vs. "I am intrigued."

Bingo.
- Could you think of a better line? Similar to "You're retarded" + "You suck"- these are all opportunities to drag the audience into your world.

STOGIE
Why do they call it a grilled-cheese
sandwich, when the proper cooking method is
to fry it?

- Sub-Smithisms, you can do better. If you want them talking normal shit while they rob, tell a gross/uplifting/enlightening story a chacter heard about 6 Mexicans and a Peanut Butter sandwich. "I heard about this guy who went to Tijuana once, ordered a..." If you can't think of a punchline to the story, cut off in the middle of it and leave us wanting more.

STOGIE
Yes, sir. She got some big-ol' floppy
boobies.

Maybe Pork-Rind can counter with comments about how he can't do X or Y manoeveur with floppy tits. Have them properly get down and dirty if you're going to do it.

PORK RIND
That's kinda shallow.

- Artificial sounding. I'd cut it. It sounds like you as the author apologising for the characters.

STOGIE
No, your sister's like your sister. Jhoanna's
like that girl you should be fuckin. And why
do so many people drop that cliche line?
PORK RIND
Just cuz something's cliche doesn't make it
not true.

- Boring. Armchair Philosophy. Unecessary.

STOGIE
flirtingly
I'm not making any promises.

-O.K. Could he call her something? Honey bunch? Sweet Cakes? Or some other cheesy line to make the audience cringe?

***PORK RIND
Hey, you gave me too much change. I think you
meant to give me a five.****

-- Well this is the bit that makes us like the guys. Good.

PORK RIND
I could use a little of that. Have a good
one.

- Boring. Cut it or end it in a less pedestrian way. To the Cashier: "So you still with that (crocodile) wrestler?"

STOGIE
So, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I gotta
call you out on this. I'm not buyin into this
'oh, me and Jhoanna are totally platonic'
bullshit.
PORK RIND
Dude, shut up.
STOGIE
No. You can feed that line to everyone else,
but it's my job to tell you you're full of
shit.
PORK RIND
You're full of shit.
STOGIE
Ok, try to look me straight in the eye and
tell me that you would never, under any
circumstances, never ever have sex with her.

- Cut this and get straight to the apocalyptic wasteland bit.

"So you wouldn't fuck this platonic Joahanna even is she was tied up with cables covered with ________ in an Apocalyptic wasteland? Get to the point, make it graphic, make it ****ed up and sexy. Spare us the rest of it. (((Reading more))) Yeah. Get lavish with the description of the sex if you want to make us feel the scene.

STOGIE
Haha. I got you on that one
- Should be obvious from the scene. Show don't tell. Or make the line better.

If you're going to go on the Yoda line, maybe he can reask the apocalyptic sex question and involve Yoda somehow.

Finish your beer sometime today, will you?
- Too tame. Make it better. "***** you are." Check out Encyclopedia Dramatica I'm sure they have some funny Yodaisms.

Pork Rind and Stogie walk down the sidewalk, finishing their bag of
Doritos.

- Who cares? Give them something more visually interesting to do. What about a YoYo with a razor blade glued to it, in a gloved hand? I know you're zero budget but you can spring for a Yo Yo, right? Hell,send you a Yo-Yo if you want.

PORK RIND
Yo, we gotta pay cable by Friday, or they'll
cut it off.

- OK maybe the scene can start with the Cable bitch screaming at him over the phone then he swears at her and slams it down. More tension.

STOGIE
Meh. There's never anything on, anyway. We
don't even need cable until football season.

- You've just killed the tension you were building. Better if they need it to watch the game or something. >>> OK one of them's a tightwad, so make the tension bigger, or more interesting.

STOGIE
Listen to Negative-Nancy over here.

-Nice.

PORK RIND
Are you crazy? In broad daylight?

- Too cliched. Give another reason why the situation is so dangerous. Rotweilers. Drug dealing cops. Make it bigger. Otherwise I don't care. More tension, however you choose to do it..

STOGIE
That's the best time to do it. We sneak
around at night, we look suspicious. Right
now, we're just regular guys walkin around.

-No shit! Artificial, unnecesary, the audience can put it together.

It just doesn't feel right.
-Wasted. Show don't tell.He could have a bodily itch or feeling that tells him when something's wrong.

PORK RIND
Looks like that's our point of entry.

- Should be obvious with the camera what they're intending to do.

OK that's all for now. I had fun reading this, think you have something solid, and look forward to reading more tomorrow.

Last edited:
With work you can make something of the 1st act (It has some nice elements to build on),
but beyond that there just isn’t a story in it (for me at least).

This isn’t the end of the world, it's just the beginning of the next draft.

-Thanks-

Ah, who am I fooling? I can't stay away from this! Not when people are talking about my work. I guess this is gonna be a long post -- for those that don't care to read the whole thing -- I'm gonna put people's names in bold, so that you can just read my response to your specific message.

First of all, I feel very appreciative of the time and thought that you are all adding, and I look forward to hearing more (I'm passing it around to some people here in Richmond as well).

VPTurner

-- Even though I don't plan to ever try and sell a script, I did enjoy hearing your critique of how to phrase sentences to make them more interesting.
-- This is a small thing, but I have to have him say "I'll have a Reeses Pieces" because I can't actually show that (copywrite infringement), otherwise, I totally agree with you, and I'm glad you brought it up, as I will look through the rest of my script for needless "on the nose" dialogue
-- You are absolutely right -- my characters all sound the same. That sucks. The irony is that I actually went into this project with the specific goal of trying to avoid that common pitfall. To this end, I'm calling on the help of my lead actors and actresses to rewrite the dialogue and make it their own.

ussinners

-- I appreciate how specific your notes are, and that you're speculating alternatives to the weaknesses you're pointing out. I predict I will especially appreciate your notes once I've finally stepped away from this and come back after a couple weeks away. This thread should die down soon enough, and then I can finally step away.
-- FYI - I like a lot of the ideas you've mentioned, but I just thought I'd point out that I particularly like the Laurel/Hardy idea
-- to answer your questions about money: They're thieves, but thieves with a heart. The girl at the register will get in trouble if her bank is short. The people who's cars they rob are out of sight and out of mind, and in the mind of Pork Rind and Stogie, probably rich and not in need of their twenty bucks. The cable bill would be paid by a paycheck (is quite normal for busboys to live check-to-check), but that's a moot point because I think I'm going to replace that line with something else; it actually has no relevence to the story.

Buddy

-- I'm sorry you ended up not liking it. I'm actually surprised that you thought the first act was the strongest. I actually thought it was the weakest. I'm glad you at least liked a few lines (yeah, they're original)
-- One of the things you mentioned was that it could use some "character endearing". You're not the only person who's said that. The name of the movie is "Antihero" after all, but I still want the audience to like our antihero. If you care to offer ideas on how I might make them more endearing, I'd definitely like to hear it.

PositiveFuture

-- I really like your "radio play" advice. I plan to heed that.
-- WOW!!! You're line-specific analysis is incredible. Even if you don't analyze any more than the ten or so pages that you've already critiqued, I can use this critique as a reference point for the rest of the script, as I'm sure much of the same problems exist elsewhere. I'll consider myself very lucky if you actually do this for the whole script (though, it is a lot of script).

wridingrlm

-- I hear what you're saying about the rushed schedule. I assure you, I'm well aware of the importance of preproduction. So, why such a hurry? I guess you'd have to understand my battle-plan. The way I see it, there are two ways to make this kind of movie. The first option is what most people in my shoes do -- they shoot it on weekends, and spare time, over the course of a year. Can you imagine the constant headache that must be? Constantly trying to coordinate schedules for a milieu of people who have jobs and lives? No way; I'm not doing that. The other option is to shoot it all at once, with a heavy, rapid shooting-schedule. Shoot the whole dang thing in one month. Well, how do you accomplish that? First of all, you need actors who can step away from the rest of their lives for a month. Professional people with careers and families simply cannot do that. So you need to be able to hire professional actors. Except I can't afford professional actors. What is the one (and I do mean one) group of people that I can afford to hire, and who are able to drop everything for one month? College theater students. If I don't shoot this thing by the end of this Summer, I have to wait a full year before they are out on Summer break again. That's not an option. We're shooting this Summer.
-- If you can resist the urge to teach me how to write a screenplay, I prefer to hear critiques on the actual story, though I certainly won't turn away any writing-lessons.
-- to answer your question about dilemma, it is in the story of Lainee -- will she find a suitable place to grow up, and can Pork Rind help her get there?
-- I think what Padnar was talking about was story, not formatting, but I could be wrong.

Padnar

-- Basically, you're just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very limited in what you can shoot. Each ultra-low budget screenplay kind of has to be self-tailored, insofar as knowing what resources are available to you. Where can you shoot? And, if you're hoping to get distribution, where can you legally get permission to shoot? What type of actors do you have at your disposal? What are their acting abilities? How many of your friends do you think you can coerce into being an extra? What equipment do you have at your disposal? What props do you have available? What are you capable of doing in post? So many questions, that when answered, will severely limit what you can write and successfully shoot. So, forget about that scene in the jail; forget about that scene in the busy nightclub; forget about that action sequence that took place outside on a rainy night; forget about having an ambulance pick up your injured hero; forget about the police hauling away the bad guy. All of that stuff costs money to shoot.
-- Mumblecore - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblecore - from what I hear, the flagship of mumblecore is "Puffy Chair", and in fact, I'm about to watch it myself, streaming on Netflix
EDIT - "Puffy Chair" - cool movie. Great example of what can be done with ZERO dollars. I won't lie, I prefer movies like "Avatar" and "Dark Knight", but if you want a prime example of working with what you've got, these guys did a terrific job. What I'm saying, if it's not obvious, is that you shouldn't look to me for an example to emulate, Padnar -- look at "Puffy Chair".

Last edited:
Yeah its tough to walk away. I've already started rewriting Enemy Combatant. But, I know many of the outright errors I made.

You had asked about the page and white test. It's said if you're looking for an agent or sending your script to a studio, the first thing they'll do is look at the last page to be sure its under 120. Then they'll fan through it to be sure they see a lot of white on the page. If it's paragraphs of action or dialogue you're out before you're at the plate.

I know you have no intention of going that route, but there is a reason, and the problems I see in your script (as many others do) is this exact reason. Whether you want to make your own movies or want to be a Hollywood blockbuster, everyone has to start with the same thing, a good screenplay.

Cracker ,

I DID like it, I like it alot, but once the story is ready to take off, it dies on the vine
and becomes non-story filler that spins its wheels to bide time until circumstance
and coincidence can be linked together.

For endearing

Take a look at Johanna (at the party) for example (before she takes Pork to task
for blowing her off.) we know he likes her, we know they have spoken about her,
we know about the text messages, BUT it’s the 1st time WE (The audience)
are meeting her.

Because she is pissed about the blow-off, without 1st endearing her,
you run the risk of her coming off like a bitchy controlling girl friend type (sorry ladies)
that we will be like “Grrr, F her!” whenever she comes on screen.

To circumvent that you could get her to ‘pet the dog’ real quick.

Example: At the party when Pork turns around and she is there (He has a reaction like
“Oh-damn” ) , before a word comes out of her mouth, she turns from Pork to Stogie
and hands him a comic book, he looks at it:

Oh hell no, Spiderman #69!?
How did you find it!?”

“I have my sources.”

“You frickin’ rule Johanna!”

-POOF- She is endeared, and NOW she can kick Pork in the nuts if she wants (for blowing her
off), and we still like her. Ideally the comic book would be something in keeping with the story.

Another instance of endearing, and a beautiful piece of character through action you hit
is ‘Lainee folds the clothes.’ - I would personally drop the Lady Diners and switch the order
up a little so that Lainee encounters the Punks AFTER she is cleaned up and folds the clothes,
this way you have endeared the character (We care about her as we have seen she is in a rough
way, but she does good) then the world (Punks) shove her down (We care about her because she
is endeared to us, so her being pushed down tugs at us because we are rooting for her-
Also you just set-up a chance to reveal further character through conflict (her reaction to Punks)
the same way as folding the clothes does ) then she gets back up and the world hits her soon
after with a cheap shot of “..Mcgarbage..” as she is just trying to survive.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that over all, we want to care about and root for and empathize with the main characters.

There ARE these “gems” in your stuff, others I haven't mentioned, but you need a concept
to put your characters in to show us a story (that is what is missing).
When you do those gems will shine.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Cracker ,

I DID like it, I like it alot, but once the story is ready to take off, it dies on the vine
and becomes non-story filler that spins its wheels to bide time until circumstance
and coincidence can be linked together.

For endearing

Take a look at Johanna (at the party) for example (before she takes Pork to task
for blowing her off.) we know he likes her, we know they have spoken about her,
we know about the text messages, BUT it’s the 1st time WE (The audience)
are meeting her.

Because she is pissed about the blow-off, without 1st endearing her,
you run the risk of her coming off like a bitchy controlling girl friend type (sorry ladies)
that we will be like “Grrr, F her!” whenever she comes on screen.

To circumvent that you could get her to ‘pet the dog’ real quick.

Example: At the party when Pork turns around and she is there (He has a reaction like
“Oh-damn” ) , before a word comes out of her mouth, she turns from Pork to Stogie
and hands him a comic book, he looks at it:

Oh hell no, Spiderman #69!?
How did you find it!?”

“I have my sources.”

“You frickin’ rule Johanna!”

-POOF- She is endeared, and NOW she can kick Pork in the nuts if she wants (for blowing her
off), and we still like her. Ideally the comic book would be something in keeping with the story.

Another instance of endearing, and a beautiful piece of character through action you hit
is ‘Lainee folds the clothes.’ - I would personally drop the Lady Diners and switch the order
up a little so that Lainee encounters the Punks AFTER she is cleaned up and folds the clothes,
this way you have endeared the character (We care about her as we have seen she is in a rough
way, but she does good) then the world (Punks) shove her down (We care about her because she
is endeared to us, so her being pushed down tugs at us because we are rooting for her-
Also you just set-up a chance to reveal further character through conflict (her reaction to Punks)
the same way as folding the clothes does ) then she gets back up and the world hits her soon
after with a cheap shot of “..Mcgarbage..” as she is just trying to survive.

There ARE these “gems” in your stuff, others I haven't mentioned, but you need a concept
to put your characters in to show us a story (that is what is missing).
When you do those gems will shine.

-Thanks-

Cool. Thanks a bunch for that. I see what you mean about endearing.

I enjoy reading your stuff CFunk so it's no hassle. I did a rewrite in my head of a couple of your scenes. I'm just firing off random shots so I hope it helps.

OK. They open up the trunk and find Reeses Pieces and Weights. A bit boring. How about the trunk is literally filled with Reeses Pieces and Skittles, loose, out of packets, up to the brim? Dotted with Shurikens or Samurai swords. So a bunch of sweets with some weapons sprinkled in.

Imagine you've got the ghost of Stanley Kubrick walking around with you. He accepts you've got zero budget but he twists your arm every scene, make it bigger, make it better. That's what I see in a lot of Indie films: Half-assed sets + props.

Even if you don't make it feature length I reckon with a bit of pre-prodcution you could make an epic short. Good luck with the 80 minutes, but if you find yourself in August torn between an explosive 30 minutes and a shaky 80 just go with the shorter version.

Last edited:
Cracker,

Here are a few things from my notes.

NOT- “Somebody has been collecting their newspapers…”

You could have Stogie stop and say something like “Dude, keep cool”
He looks around, then motions to a porch. Pork looks and WE SEE several
rolled up newspapers on the step. (So you engage the audience by letting
them put two and two together.)

THEN

A:

CUT TO: Stogie hoists Pork though a back window.

OR

B:

PORK
You thinking what I’m thinking?

STOGIE
Yep

PORK AND STOGIE
(unison)
The cable bill.

CUT TO: Stogie hoists Pork though a back window.

*The Home Owner
(What sucks, what REALLY sucks, and what would be fucked!?)
It sucks that the owner is home, it REALLY sucks that has a gun, but what would
be fucked is if you tilt up or pull the focus on him loading the gun and we see
(on the wall/shelf) shit like trophies and medals and pictures that shows the
Home Owner is like a marathon runner or Olympic sprinter or something, so the
audience is like “Oh shit!”)

Stealing the bikes.
(If you are going for the laughs/absurdity of them on the bikes, then just cut to them
blazing out of an alley on the bikes (Forego the stopping and talking about it.)
while fleeing from the Home Owner.

*Who The Home Owner can be:

A: Someone chasing them through out the film.

B: Related to the girl that got roofied (That they saved) from one of DJ’s crownies?

C: The unexpected 11th hour last minute person that fires a shot which accidentally
hits Pork, but a shot that Pork has “known” was coming for some time and quietly
orchestrated the happenings so he could take that bullet in order to make or prevent
something happening that ties everything together and makes the audience say
Oh damn I should have seen that coming!”

D: All of the above.

Figure this out logically from the end back to the beginning, figure out what he needs
to steal here, why he needs to abstain from getting with Johanna there, why if they
are thieves they would give the Cashier back the mistaken change and ultimately what
needs to layered in so that when he takes that bullet it all adds up
and makes him Karma’s Robin Hood like stoner Antihero.. then you have your story.

-Thanks-

Thanks Positive and Buddy.

Buddy, the thing about the break-in scene that you mention is that it's very reason for existence is to hint at Pork Rind's psychic power. Logic tells him that nobody is home, but his psychic power is there, telling him to stay out of that house; he just hasn't learned to trust himself in that respect. That's the reason for the "it doesn't feel right" line. I think you're right, though -- I could probably do away with spelling it out for the dummies in the audience. This clearly isn't a children's movie, after all.

Speaking of doing away with dialogue that dumbs it down for the audience, I've got some lengthy exposition that I actually put in there intentionally. In the scene in the restaurant, Pork Rind explains his power to Stogie -- what he can see and what he can't see. I put in that explanation for the stupid people in the audience (or, those who are stoned, which will probably be most of any audience for this movie). Lately, I'm thinking I can probably just cut that exposition out.

Buddy, or anyone who's read up to that far -- do you think this is one of those cases of necessary exposition, or do the scenes prior to and immediately after sufficiently explain his power? What I worry is that without this exposition, people might think he is psychic, in general, and can do lots of psychic things, when really, his psychic power is very specific and limited. Thoughts?

A scene shouldn’t exist for the sake of exposition, if you can work that info in somewhere else and cut that scene you should, but if a scene has to or you want it to exist that way, then ideally it should be in keeping with the natural flow and logic of the story, like the piss scene.

EXT. STREET – NIGHT

They walk along with 40’s almost empty.

PORK
Dude, fuck heads or tails and your card bullshit,
if we want to test this shit out, we have to go big.

Pork stops at a tree and pisses on it.
Stogie shakes his head.

STOGIE
Damn you’re uncouth!

PORK
(shrugs)
Who cares, I can tell no one is home here or there, or…

They look at each other thinking the same thing the audience is thinking.

PORK
..in those two across the street.

-ZIPPER-

CUT TO:

A door CRASHES open, Stogie falls in.

-----

I was surprised you didn’t use the peanut butter.

STOGIE
I wonder if they have peanut butter?

Pork closes his eyes

PORK
Third cabinet second shelf… crunchy.

When it comes to info that you feel you HAVE TO spell out, you can create curiosity about the info 1st, so the audience WANTS TO know what it is, then use conflict so the character HAS TO tell them.

If you feel like people might think he is a certain way (His powers), then maybe that is what people want him to be. I understand you want him to have limits and for it to be unique, but I might make the conditions that have to be present (for the power to work) be unique and define the limitations (Like obviously it only works when he steals, so he has to do bad in order to do good) while allowing the power itself to be more of what the average person might easily understand or hope or expect that he can do, but that is just me.

-Thanks-

You asked for it to get shredded, so brace yourself.

Just had a few moments to get back to reading (left off at page 13). Just hit page 21 (your pages aren't numbered, BTW - I am looking at Acrobat's page count), and I see a major, major discontinuity of character.

So it appears you are now establishing that Pork Rind is psychic. But if that's the case, how the hell did he not know the Homeowner was home?

Still plenty of wooden dialogue, talking the plot, and now character inconsistencies....

And you were planning to shoot this in a month and a half? :weird:

Stop. Take a step back. Take a deep breath. Sit down. Count to ten. You're not going to like this.

Are Earnest's cats, Earnest's cooking, the candy in the trunk, the beer, the drugs, the jalapeno pizza, all somehow relevant to the plot? What does any of this have to do with Lainee? You setup a scenario on page one, and now you're taking a significant detour with extraneous, inconsequential fluff all leading up to the revelation that one of your characters has a unique ability.

You took one page to setup a character dilemma, then roughly 20 pages later you offer the audience some glimmer of hope that these degenerates might actually have something unique to offer her. But you haven't even made a connection to her yet. By now, your audience will have completely forgotten about her.

Hate to say it, but right now I don't have high hopes for the remaining 110 pages.

EDIT: Side note on the 40 ouncers, if they had to go all the way to the store, scrape money together to pick up a couple of 40s, how does Pork Rind suddenly manifest a fresh 40 ouncer on page 19?

And on a similar note, I've studied the paranormal for a very long time because it's an area that interests me and one on which I intend to write about. Drugs and alcohol can have a significant impact on one's ESP sensitivities. The "plausibility" meter is dropping fast.

Last edited:
I'm going through this script and I just want to point some weirdness.

1. Earnest is the pot dealer and pretty much that's it. Who cares about cooking? (yeah it kind of pops up later) Who cares about kittens and cats? Seriously, he gets pot from the guy and it takes 3 pages of the script. Earnest doesn't show up again till page 128. He's useless.

2. Jhoanna who is talked about at great length doesn't come into the script till page 40.

3. Candice Stogie's fat chick who is mentioned regarding fried PB sandwiches isn't in the movie at all. He talks about liking her, and she does for him, and we don't see her.

Do you see the problems? This script is all over the place. If you take the meanings of each individual scene it works (kind of). But, just about every piece of dialogue is worthless. It contradicts itself and is self serving. It's all just exposition, and really poor exposition.

You asked for it to get shredded, so brace yourself.

Just had a few moments to get back to reading (left off at page 13). Just hit page 21 (your pages aren't numbered, BTW - I am looking at Acrobat's page count), and I see a major, major discontinuity of character.

So it appears you are now establishing that Pork Rind is psychic. But if that's the case, how the hell did he not know the Homeowner was home?

Still plenty of wooden dialogue, talking the plot, and now character inconsistencies....

And you were planning to shoot this in a month and a half? :weird:

Stop. Take a step back. Take a deep breath. Sit down. Count to ten. You're not going to like this.

Are Earnest's cats, Earnest's cooking, the candy in the trunk, the beer, the drugs, the jalapeno pizza, all somehow relevant to the plot? What does any of this have to do with Lainee? You setup a scenario on page one, and now you're taking a significant detour with extraneous, inconsequential fluff all leading up to the revelation that one of your characters has a unique ability.

You took one page to setup a character dilemma, then roughly 20 pages later you offer the audience some glimmer of hope that these degenerates might actually have something unique to offer her. But you haven't even made a connection to her yet. By now, your audience will have completely forgotten about her.

Hate to say it, but right now I don't have high hopes for the remaining 110 pages.

EDIT: Side note on the 40 ouncers, if they had to go all the way to the store, scrape money together to pick up a couple of 40s, how does Pork Rind suddenly manifest a fresh 40 ouncer on page 19?

And on a similar note, I've studied the paranormal for a very long time because it's an area that interests me and one on which I intend to write about. Drugs and alcohol can have a significant impact on one's ESP sensitivities. The "plausibility" meter is dropping fast.

That's the worst you got for me? Sheeeeiiiiiiit.

Thanks for the notes. Some responses --

Buddy has also mentioned talking the plot, yeah, I think you're on to something there.

The cooking and the candy are totally disposable; not relavent to the plot. Just talking.

The beer and drugs are central to the characters of Pork Rind and Stogie. The movie is called "Antihero". The whole point is that we watch a low-life alcoholic pothead petty-thief turn into a hero. The pizza delivery is necessary, because Pork Rind knew he was there before he had any indication that he was there. So then, Stogie puts the thought in his head that he might be psychic (I think I'm going to lose that whole bit about testing him, though).

Earnest and his cats are VERY relavent to the story. Honestly, I'm surprised that it isn't painfully obvious. I'm going to address that issue in the next post (ussinners had the same question).

I agree with you that I take too long to get the story going. I actually already had that concern before I sent the screenplay out.

As far as the magic forties are concerned -- they're bussers. It's quite normal for a busser to have money one day, but not the next. Then have money again, then not the next. They work shifts, take home cash, and spend it. In between the time we see Stogie steal beer $, he would've had time to work a shift, perhaps pick up tips waiting for him from a prior shift, perhaps pick up a paycheck. I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to place a paystub somewhere on the table, just so people don't have the same question as you.

Uhhh, I don't believe in ESP. It's supernatural. So I'm not really going for plausibility.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm discounting your notes. I'm appreciative of the fact that you're giving them, and I am taking everything you're offering in. Thanks. :)

EDIT: He DID know that Homeowner was home. He says "It just doesn't feel right". But he doesn't yet know that he's psychic; doesn't know he can trust his feelings on this. Then, he has that moment when he is really weirded out by the door in the hall. He knows something's up with that room, but again, he can't explain the feelings he's having.

Last edited:
Back