How to hire a Literary Agent

I am a screenwriter and I have to accept that I need to reach industrial standards if I am to be taken serious. What is the best way to get a literary agent? Do I have to meet him/her in person? Can I work with him/her online? And prices.

I've never entered a writing contest but I've won a lot of other tournaments.
Some people had more natural talent than me but I was willing to work harder.

I created software to analyze my performance and practiced for hours on end.
After years of persistence I finally won the state championships. It wasn't easy or quick.

I didn't ask anyone else how to become the best. Instead I assessed MYSELF, practiced and then measured improvement by my own assessment.
I invented my own practice mechanisms, learned how to use power tools to build it.

Make your path. No one else is going to make it for you.

Last edited:
Passing the criteria,

Passing criteria never made anyone win. It only lets someone pass.
It is like graduating by passing criteria vs graduating summa cum laude.

You have to surpass the criteria and leave the jury in awe. That is the way to win.
It can mean only 20% difference in the script, but it will probably be 80% of the effort to get to that level.

Last edited:
It's not just "what you know" it's "who you know". And in LA it means go to every party, every conference, every seminar. It means TALK (and listen) to every agent there, and don't be afraid to pitch them on the fly. YOU have to sell yourself, because nobody else will. I used to go to one friend's house (wonderful man named Lew Hunter), he was the Chair of the UCLA Film School and he had parties every other month for students, former students, and associates (I knew him from a writer's workshop at KNBC studios). And there were always agents there to meet "the bright new writers"... if you were good enough to sell yourself. I was never "quite" bright and new enough, but I sure had fun along the way. Go to the Edgar Awards dinners, the Beverly Hilton, Starbucks on Sunset across from the Comedy Store (Obviously, being in Boston puts you at a disadvantage, but you get the idea). I found and signed one agent (I nicknamed her "Psycho-bitch) at a lunch at the Grove Ballroom at the old Ambassador Hotel. You CLAIM that you're already a screenwriter, get your ass OUT THERE where the agents are and MEET them! If you can pitch a good story, it's almost scary how receptive they are when they're away from the office.

But LA is where everything is.

Not true. Major production hubs in New York; Wilmington, NC; Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA. Lots of production all over New England. Boston shouldn’t be an issue.

And these days for people who aren’t on crew for production, digital commuting is common. You can write from anywhere. The thing you need to focus on is having a track record that is marketable.

But LA is where everything is.
So you're telling yourself that you can't get an agent in Boston?

I guess that's ONE method I suppose...

A different method would be to write five excellent, marketable
scripts and get an agent in Boston who has connections all over
the country.

You seem to be under the impression that an agent will help you
become a better writer - will help you write up to industry standards.
They don't do that.

You don't need to be in Los Angeles to get an agent and you can't
expect an agent to help you get to industry standards. You need
to be able to write marketable scripts that will attract top talent BEFORE
an agent will represent you. And you will have a better chance with
a smaller agency in Boston than in Los Angeles.

How many finished, feature length screenplays do you have?

Prove you are a good writer and you will find an agent. There's no reason for someone to take you on yet, even in LA.

'A lot' is not a number. :-p

Seriously: if an agent shows interest: don't say 'a lot', because 'a lot' means different things to everyone.
Some call 4 scripts a lot. Others 12.
Giving them a solid number shows you know what you have written, without you labeling it as 'a lot of work' or 'not much work'. Factual numbers without quantitive opinion :-p

Hmm. A literary agent won't help you write better. And won't be interested in you, if you think your scripts are bad.

You put the cart wayyyyyyy before the horse here.

Perhaps your scripts are good, but first, you need to believe in them yourself. If you don't you will never sell others on them.

Back