How to Convert Hi8

Hello. I've recently acquired a Sony CCD-TR517 that films on HI8 or Digital8 tapes. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to convert the video from the tapes onto a computer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Perhaps a family or friend has a Digital 8 camera. The best thing about these cameras, is how backwards compatible they are. Something like a DCR-TRV530 can output Digital 8, High 8 tapes or even 20 year old Regular 8 tapes through the firewire connection.

I've used the Instant DVD converter from ADS Technologies. It was cheap and works well. I've converted VHS, VHS-C, and Hi=8 using this, I like it because you can control the transfer bit rate- even though it really doesn't make a difference with analog media from what I can tell. I think I paid like $100 from Tiger Direct .com

Do you own a regular mini-dv camera, as well?

You can connect the yellow/red/white jacks on the Hi-8 to a mini-dv camera, with a specific cable. (I forget what it's called).

Play the Hi-8 while recording on the mini-dv camera. (Same way you'd record from your VCR or television)

_______

Or (as someone mentioned), get your mitts on a Digital-8 camera. Digital-8 will play Hi-8 tapes just fine, and it connects via FireWire direct to your computer.

Do you own a regular mini-dv camera, as well?

You can connect the yellow/red/white jacks on the Hi-8 to a mini-dv camera, with a specific cable. (I forget what it's called).

Play the Hi-8 while recording on the mini-dv camera. (Same way you'd record from your VCR or television)

_______

Or (as someone mentioned), get your mitts on a Digital-8 camera. Digital-8 will play Hi-8 tapes just fine, and it connects via FireWire direct to your computer.

I think it's a called a composite cable but I could be wrong.

I-link is the solution

If the camera includes DV out connector (I-link, Firewire, IEEE-1394, the most Digital8 cameras included it) you can use this connector to transfer the Video8, Hi8 and Digital8 tapes to pc. If not includes this connector you need a A/D Hardware converter like as Pinnacle Systems (cheap and consumer), BlackMagic Design (expensive and professional)...
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkstudio/

Back