series How much to do a martial arts web series?

I just watched "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" with Donnie Yen, and I'm on a martial arts kick (so to speak). So how much would it cost to do a ULB martial-arts web series?

I just watched "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" with Donnie Yen, and I'm on a martial arts kick (so to speak). So how much would it cost to do a ULB martial-arts web series?

:yes: There you go.
Ip Man 1 & 2 are both in my top 50 films.

I'm going to do a superhero action comedy.. for me I will do it for 0 if I have to. Maybe I'll try to raise some money for a couple stunt men, idk.

Nothing can top "Enter the Dragon". :)

But how about a series of 5-6 minute shorts about an aspiring mogul who plays, oh, say, a cop in Chinatown, and, to avoid complications, he takes the bad guys out with his fists and legs instead of his guns. There would be no CGI, just volunteers.

How long is a piece of string?

Have you written the scripts yet? That will dictate things you will need.

Martial arts films require a lot of choreography and rehearsal before you start shooting.

Martial arts films have a lot of safety requirements.

--- Unless you yourself are a martial arts expert you will need someone to prep and stage the fight scenes and to train your actors.

--- Rehearsals cannot be done in your living room; you'll someplace with plenty of room.

--- The rehearsal room and your set will need plenty of matts and other safety devices.

--- You should also have at least a paramedic available.

The martial arts prowess of your protagonist and his opponents will also have a major influence.

Will his opponents also have martial arts skills, or will they be using "conventional" weapons?

--- Will your protagonist have the Bruce Lee "one punch and he's out" skills, or will the his opponents have almost equal skills where the fights are protracted? That will influence your rehearsal and shooting time.

--- If his opponents use guns you will need permits and an armorer.

Oh, action films require more time in audio post.

And there are a thousand other things I haven't even thought about. C'mon Mogul, you should know better than to ask such an open ended question. And Ultra-Low-Budget? In Hollywood terms thats under $10million; at the indie level that's under $100. some kind of actual price range is required, don't you think? Write the scripts, do the prepro, do the shooting script and story boards (VERY important with action films), do your breakdowns, then ask how to trim the budget.

Good point, but I was hoping for a no-brainer web series.

And, yes, you're all right about a piece of string being any length. That said, I used to practice martial arts, and I do so on and off again. :)

Mogul, you've asked this question many times. You get the
same answer. There is no, set, overall cost to any project.
There is no “no-brainier” for a web series. You can do a
martial arts web series for a few thousand. You can do a
sci-fi web series for a few thousand. You can spend tens of
thousands on either.

Your crew is going to cost you something weather you do a
sci-fi web series, a martial arts web series, a horror web series
or a comedy web series. As the producer you will decide what
crew you need, for how many days and what you will pay them.

The cast is going to cost you something no matter what the
genre. As I'm sure you know it's likely that people skilled in martial
arts who can act may cost more. And good stunt players will cost
you. Some may work for free or foe low wages. No one here can
tell you how much they will charge.

The location costs will be different for different genres. You need
a space bridge built for your sci-fi series. You need specific locations
for your martial arts web series. Until you know what those locations
are how to you expect someone else to know what they will cost?

I sure would be nice if a web series had a “no-brainier” number,
wouldn't it? A sci-fi web series will cost you $2837.74 per episode,
a comedy web series will cost you $884.13 per episode, a martial
arts web series will cost you $1644.58 per episode

Say, how much to do a no-brainer Western?

Have you every thought of how much you want to spend
on your web series?

You want to be a mogul? Set your budget and make that
number happen.

How much do you want to spend on a martial arts web series?

Have you every thought of how much you want to spend
on your web series?

You want to be a mogul? Set your budget and make that
number happen.

How much do you want to spend on a martial arts web series?

With our all-new name your price tool, you can set the price and then we will find a martial arts web series that matches your budget

enhanced-buzz-30925-1357667439-0.jpg

Insufficient data.

Zero to 175 million dollars.

This.

List your list of resources you have available and how much of each resource you have available,, their costs, their availabilities. Also list exactly what you need, and when. Then list all the conflicts within that and what it'll cost to overcome those conflicts. List what it'll cost to supply the resources you don't have available. Add a contingency. For you, about 30% should be fine. Add it all together and there's your budget. Don't forget anything otherwise your budget will be out.

No script yet I guess? Have fun breaking it down without a script.

Welcome to the world of line producing.

Good luck.

This.

List your list of resources you have available and how much of each resource you have available,, their costs, their availabilities. Also list exactly what you need, and when. Then list all the conflicts within that and what it'll cost to overcome those conflicts. List what it'll cost to supply the resources you don't have available. Add a contingency. For you, about 30% should be fine. Add it all together and there's your budget. Don't forget anything otherwise your budget will be out.

No script yet I guess? Have fun breaking it down without a script.

Welcome to the world of line producing.

Good luck.

Well, I have a short outline, but, if I was to spend money, I'd probably put it towards a sci-fi web series.

It really depends on your budget for talent who can bring you distribution.

I saw a film produced by Don "The Dragon" Wilson at the Action Martial Arts weekend that he also starred in with Cynthia Rothrock that cost him one million dollars.

I also know films with those actors can be made for $400,000.

Part of that goes with negotiating with the talent.

It really depends on your budget for talent who can bring you distribution.

I saw a film produced by Don "The Dragon" Wilson at the Action Martial Arts weekend that he also starred in with Cynthia Rothrock that cost him one million dollars.

I also know films with those actors can be made for $400,000.

Part of that goes with negotiating with the talent.

Well, I was thinking of doing a web scene or a series of web scenes, and, if they cost a few hundred bucks or even a thousand, I'd seriously consider doing it. But, if I was to spend that money, I would probably put it towards my burgeoning SF series.

/face palm

Really, /face palm

I hope you aren't like this with your real life contacts. You'd burn through people so fast and you'd never have anyone worthwhile do you any favors.

Say, how much to do a no-brainer Western?

For an actual Western, $1,615.57 per episode, plus a small per diem for a horse-shit shoveller. A no-brainer Western, $1,243.64 per episode. For a Spaghetti Western, $347.68 per episode, plus the cost of the actual spaghetti (currently $3.78 per lb at Walmart). Good luck!

G

For an actual Western, $1,615.57 per episode, plus a small per diem for a horse-shit shoveller. A no-brainer Western, $1,243.64 per episode. For a Spaghetti Western, $347.68 per episode, plus the cost of the actual spaghetti (currently $3.78 per lb at Walmart). Good luck!

G

OK, thanks.

To me, the cost fo the food is a must. My current plan is to pay minimum wage, which would not include the time used for discussions and rehearsals, and, at the end of the day, a hearty meal.

So, for a, say, one-day shoot of 10 hours, I would have

1) $10 x 10 hours x no of people
2) Cost of renting camera equipment
3) Cost of renting props.
4) Meal at $15 per person.

I hope to get free locations, so, for a short episode, the cost would be under $1,000.00 - it could even be $500.00.

That would be VERY doable. :)

/face palm

Really, /face palm

I hope you aren't like this with your real life contacts. You'd burn through people so fast and you'd never have anyone worthwhile do you any favors.

My problem is that sci-fi can be very expensive ... but, if an MA short is cheap and doesn't cost anything, hey, why not?

OK, thanks.

To me, the cost fo the food is a must. My current plan is to pay minimum wage, which would not include the time used for discussions and rehearsals, and, at the end of the day, a hearty meal.

So, for a, say, one-day shoot of 10 hours, I would have

1) $10 x 10 hours x no of people
2) Cost of renting camera equipment
3) Cost of renting props.
4) Meal at $15 per person.

I hope to get free locations, so, for a short episode, the cost would be under $1,000.00 - it could even be $500.00.

That would be VERY doable. :)

So adding #1 and #4 you have $115 per person/per day. Forgive
my math skills but I think that means 4 people ($500) or 8 people
($1,000) in food/salary alone. You think you can do one episode of
a web series with four people total? Or eight people total? But of
course you have #'s 2 and 3 so that cuts down on your cast and
crew. And you don't even mention sound and lighting....

For a martial arts short film you would need at least one day to
choreograph and rehearse the fight scene. I know (from experience)
that the scene can be choreographed and rehearsed on the shoot
day, but that takes camera rolling time away from a 10hour shoot.
And you need very skilled performers to do that.

As I have offered before, if you ever get serious about doing this I'll
be glad to help with putting together a budget.

Back