How might one track down the owner of a website?

This web address should be mine, and it's really pissing me off:

http://www.antihero.com/

They're not even doing anything with it! It's been like that, for months. Obviously, I'm prepared to use an alternate address, but I want this one, and will pay money for it. There's no contact information, and I've tried random email addresses, like "webmaster@antihero.com", to no avail. I checked whois.net, and that got me nowhere. Any ideas?

Thanks

I think there is a public database where you get the name and address of the person or company the domain is registered to.

Ive never looked for it so see what you can find on google or hopefully someone else here knows more specifics and will respond.

It's called a "Who Is" lookup, most registrars can find the info. Search the URL on a registrars site (try whois.net maybe?) and it should give the option for the who is info. It will have an email address, address, and sometimes phone number of the domain owner.

Well, the alternative would most likely be antihero-movie.com, but I just really like the ease and catchiness of antihero.com, and I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred dollars on it (and seriously, these guys aren't doing anything with it).

Google led me to whois. That at least got me the name of the server that hosts the website (but otherwise, these guys are staying private -- no contact info, whatsoever). Perhaps that'll get me somewhere, but I'm hoping some ubernerd will know a more effective method.

Thanks!

Screen%20shot%202010-11-25%20at%2006.50.57.png

Yeah, good luck CF!

But he's kept it current since 1999. I'd say your chances were slim he'd relinquish it for something you could reasonably afford.

I did a search and found out you can purchase the domain "antiheroes.com" for $28,200.00. It's for sale (sounds like a steal). You could probably haggle that down to a flat $28 thousand.

-C

I have the same problem with www.clapperbored.com and I can't seem to get through to them.

I would recommend a WhoIs lookup (as Chilipie has already done) but other than that there's not a lot you can do. I looked up the source code but they don't have details on that.

I have to say that convincing people to sell domains is tricky, but it can be done if they are willing/want some cash.

I went to godaddy and they have something saying that it is backordered.
antihero.com

Backorder

That conflicts with the other information, but if it is true it mentions they go to an auction so you might want to check it. Also, I liked an alternative they suggested bestantihero.com.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm considering clown-fart-penis.com, looks like it's available. No, really, with the low-brow nature of the humor in this movie, a silly website like that might actually make sense!

Back