How Many Films Produced? (by year?)

A friend asked me last week, 'How many films are made every year?'

I asked him, 'What, by Hollywood (i.e Paramount, Universal etc), or independant? In the USA, or overseas too?'

He just shrugged and said, 'I guess just mainstream Hollywood'.

I have to confess, I couldn't answer him.

I'm someone who loves film (independant film is something I really dig actually, which is why I've joined this forum), but I've never been so stumped as to when my best friend asked me something I feel I 'should' know.

After many google seaches, I can't find a solid answer, and no reliable sources.

So I'm hoping you guys (after reading around, it looks like there's some experts on here) can tell me:

1) How many Hollywood films have been released, by year, since movies began? (1888 is fine as a starting year date, but feel free to start later if thats too akward to find any info on).

2) How many Independant (USA) films have been released by year?

3) I know I've focused on the USA, but any info on other countries, i.e. Bollywood or British film would be more than welcome.

Please state your source(s) where possible :)

Also:

A website I sometimes read (the daily mail) had an interesting article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nfessed-geek-Colin-Needham-house-Bristol.html

It states, "IMDb - which has information on over 3.2million actors and industry professionals and a database of more than 1.5million films – has the ability to launch and crush Hollywood careers."

Can someone clarify the 1.5 million film claim? And if so, can you state your source(s)?

Thanks for reading,

:)

Last edited:
Fixed that for ya.

Aside from providing snark, no, you haven't fixed anything.

So Zensteve doesn't know the answer, I hope that's not the case for everyone.

Looking forward to a real answer. Come on guys! There must be one knowledgable person here surely?

Last edited:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_movies_are_made_each_year

This is probably a question better answered by a Google search...

Thanks for the link, but my major gripe with it (I found the exact same link yesterday incidentally) was the reference source (http://mpaa.org/researchStatistics.asp) is defunct.

My other problem with the link is that only a few select years are accounted for.

I'm interested to know, by year, how many movies have been produced by the major Hollywood studies (though adding info on independant stuff/other countries is fine also).

I've searched around, I'm guessing you did to, and the answer you gave was the best either of us could find, yes?

Yet how did the dailymail website come up with the imdb 1.5 million film figure? And can that figure be broken down?

I'm surprised I seem to be the only one talking about this as this forum is supposed to contain fellow film enthusiasts.

Isn't anyone else curious?

Aside from providing snark, no, you haven't fixed anything.

So Zensteve doesn't know the answer, I hope that's not the case for everyone.

Looking forward to a real answer. Come on guys! There must be one knowledgable person here surely?

I'm surprised I seem to be the only one talking about this as this forum is supposed to contain fellow film enthusiasts.

The only advice i can give you is that such comments won't yield many replies pertaining to your question.

The only advice i can give you is that such comments won't yield many replies pertaining to your question.

The only advice I can give you is that you shouldn't comment without first reading a given thread in its entirety.

Unless you're best pals with Zensteve, and therefore biased to side with him on friendship alone, you'd have seen he implied I was lying about my motivation for asking this legitimate question.

And my other comment was merely an observation: I am genuinely shocked this hasn't generated more responses, given the fact its possibly one of the most important questions a film enthusiast could ask!

So aside from your irrelevant post, have you an answer to my question?

Never gave it much thought. I just think you are mistaken as to what a burning question it is to most people. I have some info at home on an organization that you can contact that might have that info. They are used by people putting together film business plans (so you can compare your proposed film to similar films), I'll try to find it.

I also imagine it varies wildly from year to year.

There is a world of difference between a "Film Enthusiast" and a "Filmmaker". I'm not enthusiastic about films, I am madly in love with making films. It really doesn't matter to me how many have been made. It is my passion to add to the millions of films that have been produced.

So, no offense, but the statistics you seek have no meaning to me as an artist, Filmmaker.

The only advice I can give you is that you shouldn't comment without first reading a given thread in its entirety.

Unless you're best pals with Zensteve, and therefore biased to side with him on friendship alone, you'd have seen he implied I was lying about my motivation for asking this legitimate question.

And my other comment was merely an observation: I am genuinely shocked this hasn't generated more responses, given the fact its possibly one of the most important questions a film enthusiast could ask!

So aside from your irrelevant post, have you an answer to my question?

Well no one can see what Zensteve was picking up on ecause you subsequently edited the post.

But is this one of the most important question s a film enthusiast can ask? If so, why? Seems largely irrelevant to me how many movies Hollywood provide. But I'd be inclined to agree with the link that provided, even if the source is no longer available.

But this isn't Yahoo answers. I'm not sure why you're so interested in this statistic, but people aren't going to do the research for you. If they know then they'll help you out (as I've tried to do).

Well no one can see what Zensteve was picking up on ecause you subsequently edited the post.

In regards to the exchange between myself and Zensteve, nothing was edited. What, prey tell, was edited?

I only edited some spelling errors in my OP. The content has always stayed the same.

In fact, here's a breakdown:

I said, "A friend asked me last week, 'How many films are made every year?"

Zensteve replied: "My teacher asked me last week" (misquoting me)
then said, "Fixed that for ya." (implied I was lying).

But is this one of the most important question s a film enthusiast can ask? If so, why? Seems largely irrelevant to me how many movies Hollywood provide.

If you are interested in the film industry, surely there'd be an interest in as to how many films are released each year by mainstream production companies, eh?

But I'd be inclined to agree with the link that provided, even if the source is no longer available.

I prefer hard facts as opposed to hearsay.

But this isn't Yahoo answers.

It's a discussion forum and one would assume is filled with people (film enthusiasts/makers etc) who would at least have some idea as to the answer to this question. If I joined a math forum I'd expect them to know an alegbra related query. Same goes here.

If they know then they'll help you out (as I've tried to do).

You haven't helped. What you did was side with one of your pals (even though he was blatantly flame baiting) because you wanted to impress him. That wasn't being helpful whatsoever.

Last edited:
Fixed that for ya.

Haha so true. :lol:Exectly what I thought when I read...so a friend of mine asked me.

Not to fear, Murdock is here with your answer.........23. There are 23 movies made every year. You can quote me on your work cited page.

It's a discussion forum and one would assume is filled with people (film enthusiasts/makers etc) who would at least have some idea as to the answer to this question. If I joined a math forum I'd expect them to know an alegbra related query. Same goes here.

Okay. You prefer HARD FACTS. So why are you asking a bunch of strangers on and a discussion forum for their OPINION? Why would we know the answer to your question? Start calling studios and ask them. Explain you have a school project(even if you don't) and ask away.

As to the second part of my quote: Maybe you should find yourself a STATISTICS forum since your question is about statistics not movies.

2004 Total Movies Released: 567 Total Combined Gross: $9,327,315,935
2005 Total Movies Released: 594 Total Combined Gross: $8,825,324,278
2006 Total Movies Released: 808 Total Combined Gross: $9,225,689,414
2007 Total Movies Released: 1022 Total Combined Gross: $9,665,661,126
2008 Total Movies Released: 1037 Total Combined Gross: $9,705,677,862
2009 Total Movies Released: 1177 Total Combined Gross: $7,596,626,766

I think this just begs the question why?

If it's just something that your friend mentioned then it's fair enough to be curious, but do you need every piece of information sourced?

I apologize if providing you with a link that seemed to answer your question wasn't being helpful.

2004 Total Movies Released: 567 Total Combined Gross: $9,327,315,935
2005 Total Movies Released: 594 Total Combined Gross: $8,825,324,278
2006 Total Movies Released: 808 Total Combined Gross: $9,225,689,414
2007 Total Movies Released: 1022 Total Combined Gross: $9,665,661,126
2008 Total Movies Released: 1037 Total Combined Gross: $9,705,677,862
2009 Total Movies Released: 1177 Total Combined Gross: $7,596,626,766

Thanks. But what source is that from?

You shouldn't be so surprised.

Most of us here are not statisticians. We are interested in making
movies - not so much in these kinds of statistics. I have asked a
lot of questions in my life but a year by year list of every
"Hollywood" film made, every independent film made and every
Bollywood or British film made has never been one of them. I don't
think this is really one of the most important questions a film
enthusiast could ask. Not even the top ten.

What would be in your top ten, may I ask?

I'm sure you will consider my post irrelevant, too. I don't have
an answer to your question.

Ok, that's fine. No one has provided one yet (with sources at least).

However, what I do find interesting is that this information
doesn't seem to be available. No one seems to be putting together
a list of how many Hollywood films have been released, by year,
since movies began or how many independent (USA) films have been
released by year. I wonder if this really is one of the most
important questions a film enthusiast could ask and the need isn't
being met.

You must admit, it is pretty shocking that there isn't (at least not that I know of) list that has an answer to this. Anywhere.

More shocking though is the dismissive response I've found here, on a forum that one would assume loves all there is about film.

I think this place should come with a disclaimer saying, 'While this forum attracts many people interested in making film, there will be resident a$$ hats who love to flame bait given the slightest opportunity'.

So far, Murdock gets my 'troll of the month' award. :lol:

Haha so true. :lol:Exectly what I thought when I read...so a friend of mine asked me.

Your brown nosing of Zensteve makes you look weak, just saying.

Not to fear, Murdock is here with your answer.........23. There are 23 movies made every year. You can quote me on your work cited page.

No, Murdock isn't here at all. Murdock is a fantastic A-Team character. You are insulting his legacy by stealing his identity. Pathetic.

Okay. You prefer HARD FACTS. So why are you asking a bunch of strangers on and a discussion forum for their OPINION? Why would we know the answer to your question? Start calling studios and ask them. Explain you have a school project(even if you don't) and ask away.

More stupid ramblings.. :rolleyes:

As to the second part of my quote: Maybe you should find yourself a STATISTICS forum since your question is about statistics not movies.

Spoken like a true NON fan of the film industry.

"If you are interested in the film industry, surely there'd be an interest in as to how many films are released each year by mainstream production companies, eh?"

No, not really that interesting. It's way too blunt an instrument to really tell you much. I mean if someone had a number (which would vary a lot depending on how you define things like "release", "mainstream Production company", etc...) I'd listen, and think, "hmmm, interesting", then probably never think about it again.

Back