• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How I ruin another family picnic!

My first loosely choreographed sword fight sequence. hahah..

Me, my daughter and nephew, and a few foam covered sticks... enjoy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcNB3mzFrE

Last edited:
The trick about repping Nor-Cal is you do it on message boards and not with a sticker on your windshield that then gets repeatedly broken down in L.A. (not that that ever happened to me, but you get the point. People are wild down here about that sort of thing).

It was so bad that I was wearing a Boston Redsocks baseball cap at a cafe on Sunset strip and I got yelled at by a bum on the street for wearing something with a Boston logo on it.

Great editing on the video. The shots look really nice, too. What lenses were you using?

Definitely needs some dramatic music, though. Foley might be nice, too. But music is paramount.

Hey Dreddy.. I believe I shot it all with the 28mm on the end of the Letus. I may have used the 50mm for a bit..

either case, I stopped down the lens as far as I could, f4 or so, this helps with action takes as more of the field is IN focus.

Last edited:
Hey Dreddy.. I believe I shot it all with the 28mm on the end of the Letus. I may have used the 50mm for a bit..

either case, I stopped down the lens as far as I could, f4 or so, this helps with action takes as more of the field is IN focus.

So stopping down increases your DOF? Is this a universal principle? As in, would it apply to my 50mm?

I can't believe that was shot at f/4! There is so much light. When I was watching it I kept envying your setup and how much light those lenses drink up. But how's come my lenses are so dark at f/2? :(

I do wish I had known about the aperture thing on Saturday when I shot the wedding. It was a bright overcast day, I'm sure I could have stopped it down a little. I didn't use the adapter for the ceremony so that's all in focus (thank dog), but my 'glamor' shots are a bit soft at times (must get HD monitor). Another foot or two of DOF would have gone a loong way, I think. :/

yup, its a universal truth. Pinhole (itty bitty aperture) cameras have, in theory, PERFECT focus for the entire field of view (infinite depth of field). As the aperture increases, depth of field decreases.

Check your cameras settings. Shutter speed has a big impact on exposure.

You should be struggling with TOO MUCH light in bright sun with any 35mm adapter. The problem I have is that I can only stop down to f5.6 (less with some lenses) before I can see the grain in my 35mm adapters ground glass. If I could stop down more, the DOF would increases and less focus woes.. funny, we bought the adapters cause we wanted shallow dof, but now that we have them, we lament the DOF is too shallow.. haha.. but its still worth it in my opinion.

My theory is that the smaller the aperture, the more of the light is coming in at an angle thus hitting the SIDES of the micro bumps on the ground glass, throwing part of the bump into shadow and the grain shows up..

I bought and ND filter for the front of the lens. This lets me reduce light without stopping down the aperture and thus able to get bright sun under control. I did NOT use ND filters for this shot as I was in the shade.. still though, I had the exposure compensation on my camera as LOW as it would go.. and if you look, the main subjects are in shade the entire time. Check the blown out white on the fences in the background.

Last edited:
So stopping down increases your DOF? Is this a universal principle? As in, would it apply to my 50mm?

I can't believe that was shot at f/4! There is so much light. When I was watching it I kept envying your setup and how much light those lenses drink up. But how's come my lenses are so dark at f/2? :(

yup, what wheat said. small f stop= shallow dof. large f stop= deep dof

what lenses were u using and what kind of light was available?

and if i remember correctly, u have a 35mm adapter. might be the quality of the adapter.

Back