• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I write horror without disgust

So, I finished my characters and their obstacles (character arc). Now my question is: How do I write horror with less blood and disgust. I mean, I wanna watch a horror movie. I don’t wanna stay barfing in the corner. That’s very seldom in the horror genre. How do I do that?

Are you sure you are not mixing up the sub genre gore with the main genre horror?
Horror does not need to be bloody with flying intestines.

On the other hand: if you manage to write a script that makes you barf, you may have a killer script :P

Horror is really drama, but drama about life gone horribly wrong. I think people don't give horror enough credit for having to be (on some level) believable.

I would say focus on that; making stories about horrible situations and equally heinous consequences, and make them as believable as you can. you may not even need gore.

Last edited:
"So, I finished my characters and their obstacles (character arc). Now my question is: How do I write horror with less blood and disgust."

I can't get close to what exactly you mean. What you've finished and what not? What you want to write, what you can write, what you can't write?

You've finished your characters' arcs without writing a story? That's impossible. You've written a story but it is full of blood and now you want to know how to re-write it without so much blood? You haven't written anything yet but you've just written one - two paragraphs about some characters AKA you haven't written anything yet?... I think I'm close.

A lot of popular horror might have blood and gore but the genre does not require it. Horror is about inducing anxiety and fear in the audience as they watch the film and, ideally, after they finish it. Focus on what fears the audience has that you're playing on. The scariest parts of any horror movie are about exposing people to those fears. Fear of the dark. Fear of strangers. Fear of loss. Fear of disease. Fear of harm coming to children. Focus on that. if exploring that doesn't require you to have blood and gore, don't have blood and gore.

Now my question is: How do I write horror with less blood and disgust.
The way you writer horror with less blood an disgust is to not
write any scenes with blood and disgust. If someone is killed do
not write the details of how the death occurs.

Horror comes from fear - not blood and disgust. It's SO easy
to not write blood and disgust in a script I suspect you are not
asking the question you really want to ask.

You don't have a story do you? You have the characters but
you don't have a story. Am I right?

Do you need some examples of great horror films that do not
use blood and disgust?

I agree with most of the comments. You can definitely do horror without the gore...or EXCESSIVE gore. Take the horror and tether it with as much SUSPENSE and DREAD that your scenes/story will allow. Look at parts of the story and scenes and think what would make this really spooky..creepy...atmosphere perhaps in addition to the suspense within the character's actions. Tease the audience here and there with the horror...but no false scares!

I realize that this began a year ago, but I must have missed it. Some of the highest grossing (no pun intended) indie horror films have very little blood. HALLOWEEN has very little. That held the indie record until BLAIR WITCH, surpassed it. Then came PARANORMAL ACTIVITY. Very little, if any blood in any of these indies.

People forget that horror encompasses a lot of subjects. Movies like THE OTHERS are just spooky, but have a nice twist. I grew up on the Universal classics, FRANKENSTEIN, THE WOLFMAN, THE INVISIBLE MAN, etc. Classic horror is more about suggestion. A creature attacks a person, but you might just see a shadow of it raising its arms and attacking. So much can be suggested through sound and shadows.

So, I finished my characters and their obstacles (character arc). Now my question is: How do I write horror with less blood and disgust. I mean, I wanna watch a horror movie. I don’t wanna stay barfing in the corner. That’s very seldom in the horror genre. How do I do that?
Try increasing the anticipation of each horrific moment at the point of impact such as a knifing scene cutaway to active blood splatter this will cause raise the value and demand for the utmost quality of Foley. Hopefully this helps. It will cause more creative work and imagination but it will hopefully accomplish your goal.

this is one of those threads that should probably be locked lol
she never even came back to reply even when she was still creating new threads on here

Last edited:
I disagree about locking this one for the reason I gave on the other thread about locking :)

If it's still generating interest and responses, the OP is pretty much beside the point.

H44s threads were always generating interest and responses...
Oh now I have an idea. How about this.

Color code old threads!
Sometimes people see a bumped thread, they want to help a person, and they spend time writing out this long thoughtful response only to later find out that the OP hasnt been to the site for over a year. All because someone else bumped a thread.

But if these old threads had a slightly different look or color to them nobody would make that mistake.

H44s threads were always generating interest and responses...
Oh now I have an idea. How about this.

Color code old threads!
Sometimes people see a bumped thread, they want to help a person, and they spend time writing out this long thoughtful response only to later find out that the OP hasnt been to the site for over a year. All because someone else bumped a thread.

But if these old threads had a slightly different look or color to them nobody would make that mistake.

This again goes against the " help out other members even if the original poster is long gone" policy. People may not be that eager to post their suggestion when they realize the guy is long gone.

This again goes against the " help out other members even if the original poster is long gone" policy. People may not be that eager to post their suggestion when they realize the guy is long gone.

Well from my experience and time here on indietalk one thing I am sure about .. the purpose of this site is not to waste peoples time.

Back