Hollywood system of corruption!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it was somebody on Facebook with a Spielberg avatar. Perhaps its the real deal... its easy to have some words with a famous person.... I had some words with famous people that I like. I doubt that the know who I am... Friends on Facebook and friends in the real world... its not the same.

I don't need to improve hollywood, they don't pay an independent person like me. I rather decide to boycott them, though, I am nobody important to do that.

Wait, are you boycotting Hollywood or, trying to break in?

Not really, I want to know if it is something good in ideas of hollywood so it will be having value to continue screen writing...

By the way, since all Hollywood is crap, and you asked about your chances with that script, you open up a whole new perspective of replies. :lol:

Wait, are you boycotting Hollywood or, trying to break in?

By the way, since all Hollywood is crap, and you asked about your chances with that script, you open up a whole new perspective of replies. :lol:

It is when one is frustrated. I see no way to hollywood, so, no trying really....

Thanks!

The real issue, I believe, is that our friend "nobody" has discovered that being a creative is HARD.

Hundreds of thousands of scripts are reviewed each year in Hollywood. Perhaps 1,000 or so are good enough to be bumped "upstairs" to be considered for production. Only 100+ of those are actually produced. The PRODUCERS - the people who put up the MONEY to actually make the films - are BUSINESS people, and their goal is to make PROFITS for themselves and their INVESTORS, so that there are FUNDS to INVEST in future projects. So the PRODUCERS will only INVEST in projects that have the potential to make PROFITS.

The purpose a film is to entertain an audience. It is the rare project where the script, producer, director, cast & crew and production values all align to make a film that is both entertaining and "meaningful."

95% of the people in the world want nothing more than to work their jobs, raise their families and just be left alone. Even living a "normal" everyday life can be difficult, and with our world in constant chaos these days it's even harder. So what's wrong with entertaining people, helping them forget their troubles for a couple of hours?

95% of the people in the world want nothing more than to work their jobs, raise their families and just be left alone. Even living a "normal" everyday life can be difficult, and with our world in constant chaos these days it's even harder. So what's wrong with entertaining people, helping them forget their troubles for a couple of hours?

This could have been the synopsis of hail Caesar.

Oh Indietalk... say it... You know you want to... Say the words, "Release the Sweetie" and it shall be done ;)

Better not. Jack said it best. Some can't handle it.

Oh Indietalk... say it... You know you want to... Say the words, "Release the Sweetie" and it shall be done ;)

No........ ah, just no. Heaven help us all....... ;)

Btw, I read this thread and then turned on the TV and ALIENS was on. So amazingly creative, from the weapons, to the characters, to the sets, and to the story. Where else could I see a movie like that, if there was no Hollywood?

I've always thought it was ironic how many indie people bash Hollywood, yet their work could not approach the weakest studio productions.

Last edited:
Most indie films suck too. It's called "taste"

It's also a matter of production value and not having a large pool of scripts and talent. Including works by myself, it is extremely difficult to make something watchable for a 90 minute length of time. Most people can muster a cute short, but sustaining viewers for the long run is holy grail for indies.

I can effortlessly watch 95% of Hollywood films. If you were to try and punish me by watching the content library of a Red Box movie dispenser, I would enjoy almost every bit of it. :lol:

Btw, my most recent viewing was Dennis Villeneuve's ENEMY, starring Jake Gyllenhaal. I enjoyed it for how thought provoking it was, though I imagine a lot of people would have a hard time with the slow pace and abstract style.

I should point out that when it comes to indies, I do truly admire anyone who fights the odds and makes the effort. There is just the reality of producing something "no budget." "Watchable" indie flicks, for me, included Carpenter's ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, Raimi's EVIL DEAD, or Peter Jackson's BAD TASTE. Low budget, but scads of creative cinematics. BLAIR WITCH had a strong initial impact, but I wouldn't call that rewatchable.

Even under BLAIR WITCH's budget, there are hundreds of no budget indies, like people from these boards. My collection looks like this:

Remember SLICES, FETUS, HORRORS OF WAR, KISSES & CAROMS, ON THE FRINGE, US SINNERS, etc?

indiecollection3.jpg

indiecollection5.jpg

I'm kind of curious, as to who here has made a feature in the last couple of years. The market is down and that would be a good topic for another thread.

Last edited:
It's also a matter of production value and not having a large pool of scripts and talent. Including works by myself, it is extremely difficult to make something watchable for a 90 minute length of time. Most people can muster a cute short, but sustaining viewers for the long run is holy grail for indies.
True. Having less money means you have less chance of getting good professional level scripts & actors, so you really have to be smart & know how to work with what you have. But if you can make it work, you learn how to be more creative.
After Arrival I wanted to see more of Denis' work so I saw Sicario, then Enemy. Sicario was good, but Enemy was too slow. It definitely made me think about it for days & I researched some possible meanings for it, but ultimately it wasn't satisfying because so much is purposely ambiguous & I didn't really care about anyone in it.

From November 2015
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=405455#post405455
“I am not allowed to say about it.”
I'm calling B.S. on his claim. Somehow he got his writing to Spielberg who
told him he was "very smart even compared to Hollywood writers out there"
but he is not allowed to talk about it.
Thanks for the info. Well Spielberg's pretty talented so I guess it's possible he's also a linguistics genius & was able to recognize that.

True. Having less money means you have less chance of getting good professional level scripts & actors, so you really have to be smart & know how to work with what you have. But if you can make it work, you learn how to be more creative.
After Arrival I wanted to see more of Denis' work so I saw Sicario, then Enemy. Sicario was good, but Enemy was too slow. It definitely made me think about it for days & I researched some possible meanings for it, but ultimately it wasn't satisfying because so much is purposely ambiguous & I didn't really care about anyone in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AWkqRwd1I

I think Chris Stuckmann gives a good explanation of enemy. I like a good surreal movie... For me its a 7.5 out of 10. I can understand your lack of connection for the main protagonist and the wife. I found the subject fascinating so it kept me going.

sfoster, ya Donnie Darko lost me too. But I really liked Adaptation, maybe because I know about the writing process.
Feutus, I like surreal movies too but ya I need a connection with a character to help me through the slowness.
I liked Mulholland Drive, maybe because the beautiful women helped keep my interest. What did you guys think of that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back