• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Hollywood Formula" Worksheet

I don't know if this is borderline plagerism, or just a really big coincidence, but this is basically a less-detailed version of Jake Snyder's "Save the Cat" beat sheet.

This is pretty cool, but if you want the real deal, read "Save the Cat".

I have no idea what saving the cat is but this is just a worksheet I was handed out at a writting workshop. I saw the web address on the paper and decided to share it with you guys. I will look in to finding the save the cat one and check it out. Thanks C.F.

Last edited:
I have no idea what saving the cat is but this is just a worksheet I was handed out at a writting workshop. I saw the web address on the paper and decided to share it with you guys. I will look in to finding the save the cat one and check it out. Thanks C.F.

It's pretty sweet. Not just for the very effective "formula" laid out, but for a number of random and useful screenwriting "tricks", and some very good organizational tools.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=save+the+cat&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11106892379880215412&ei=P_lcTNqUJMOB8gbCpZG6DQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg#

I link their formatting page here now and then too.
Makes it way easier for someone to see examples of format.

Check out Filmy's 4 act structure and various info in the other screen writing section here
on Indietalk as well.

-Thanks-

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but I tried to go to this website and it took 10 MINUTES to stop it from opening tabs on my PC. I don't have the slightest idea what just got downloaded, but I'm not going back to find out what this is.

-- spinner :cool:

It did not happen to me. But I got a good firewall and anti popup. Sorry that happened no idea why. The first link was just a link to a pdf file. The second link is the link the website.

Last edited:
Oh, hi maralyn, nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum. "How to Train Your Dragon" was written using Blake Snyder's methods. A lot of people like that movie. It's not a mathmatical formula. You still have to make it somehow unique. I think "structure" is a better word to describe it.

What an entering statement Maralyn. I'm assuming this is the whole "Hollywood is the man" scenario.

Structure is a must, both in production/planning to distribute to anybody beyond your four walls. The "Tripe" that you're referring to, would be "The Story", and that falls down to only you.

There's no generic link between a template format and the method of storytelling.

Again, I think "formula" is a poor word to describe it. maralyn, do you believe in the three-act structure? Cuz if you do, then you're using, in these terms, a formula. It's just that Snyder's structure is considerably more specific than just three acts, and it can be a really effective way for someone to piece their story together.

Accusing us of being scared to use our own minds might not be your best introduction to these threads. You wanna back up and try that again? There are lots of very creative people here.

Back