• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help Get Me Started

I want to write and film a simple short story. But i need help with the hardest part (well for me at least) and that is "An Idea". If you guys can help pitch in ideas for a movie. And answers are welcome. I can edit to fit my needs.
Thanks to everyone who helps.

Last edited:
I’m curious, what is holding you back in conjuring up ideas in yourself?
Or.. what about it is hard for you?

You know the old “Give a man a fish/Teach a man TO fish..” deal?

Maybe we can pitch in and help you to gain more access to your own ideas.

Could be worth a try I guess.

-Thanks-

A couple dudes are watching TV, eating pizza. One dude notices that there is only one slice left, while he gives a piece of crust to the dog. When the other dude reaches for the last slice, the first dude stops him, pointing out that he's already eaten half the pizza. The other dude points out the fact that he payed for the pizza. They agree to a game of rock-paper-scissors, to determine who gets to eat it. After a quick, tense game, best-of-three, the other dude emerges victor. However, as the other dude celebrates his victory, the first dude laughs and points at the floor, where the dog has begun eating the last slice that he appearantly swiped from off the table.

Looking for ideas is easy . You read a magazine and you get an idea. For me my script My Indian Sister was got from an idea I read in a magazine . About a fraternal twin one who is black like her father andthe other is white like her mother . The white sister racially abused her black sister . This made me think and I got my idea for my script .
padma

Thanks everyone. The reason i want to write and film a short story is because i enjoy it so much. Its my passion. As soon as I have my idea, i can write my script and film it. Im just not imaginative to come out with an idea. Thats why i ask for help.

Dig a little deeper man, there's inspiration all over the place. It's good to hear you're passionate, but there's nothing like discovering an idea, crafting, and nurturing it into something you're proud of. I'd hate to be the guy to take that from you. A few people will post ideas, yet I'd advise you to ride the writers-block, an idea will soon come if you write frequently and live open minded.

Well guys, today on the bus, i thought of a great idea. Told my friends about it and they thought it would be too. Was wondering if you guys would like me to post the summary of it. Tell me what you think. Thanks

1 to 2 sentences will be pretty hard. But ill try

A couple is split apart due to a new job in the family and she is forced to move to New York, and the only way to communicate is through letters. (This is before they had cell phones and computers.) As the letters progress, it leads to tension, and he is forced to make a serious decision. To stick with her or find a new girl.

That is really hard to write in 1 to 2 sentences. If you dont really get it, i can extend it.

Your skeletal brief reminds me of a movie that if i remember correctly didn't reach cinematic release. I happen to have seen this movie, the plot is centered, the narrative is displayed off-key, the letters being read aloud, with the person who is to receive the letter present per se, creating that bliss that comes with hand-written sentiments as the movie progresses.

I would suggest you check it out, it's pretty sweet, pick up the structure of how exactly they managed to tell the story on-screen.

Hope it helps man!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171492/

Actually, if anyone can help. Is there any way i can still do present time, but still them writing letters. I prefer to keep it in present times. But i bet it would be out of place if they used letters, and everyone else is texting, or calling, or emails. Is their a way i can use letters into this time frame?

Thanks. Havent scene that movie. Might have too. Do you think that i will be able to do a short out of it. It was originally my plan.

It may be tough to convey the yearning that comes with love-letters, they are seen as the predominant tool of the romantic, famous of course for overseas lovers at the numerous wars. Hand-written letters are entirely unique. You have to try fashion the connection, the importance of the letters, which may well be a task to portray within a short, but certainly not impossible. This is going to rely heavily on the characters, the dialogue, and again the technique of how you incorporate the letters into the narrative.

Examples

• VO from the recipient as he receives.
  • The letters being read as they are written.
  • Playing the scenes suggested in the letters. e.g situations or memories.

It is most definitely an intricate method of story-telling, taking literature in it's natural form to the screen and in turn making it entertaining will always be tricky.

Yeah. We'll im dealing with teenagers. Not as like adults, and they have flashbacks of writing notes. This is present time and the couple is split apart because her dad got a new job out of state. But i want to convey the "writing letters" because thats what my original idea was. I just do not know how to incorporate it into present times.

Actually, if anyone can help. Is there any way i can still do present time, but still them writing letters. I prefer to keep it in present times. But i bet it would be out of place if they used letters, and everyone else is texting, or calling, or emails. Is their a way i can use letters into this time frame?

Of course. The art of writing letters has not entirely vanished from existence. I myself still write letters, i believe in the personal sentiment they possess. That is not to say i do not text, or email, I am not a cave-man technophobe rebelling against modernization.

Do choose to use the present time, although niche, it would very much exaggerate the romanticism, as they choose to use such a primordial method of communication for it's personal value alone. The present day is impatient, ever growing impatient. If there are two beings savoring what minute untarnished craft remains, I'd say that's a beautiful thing.

It may receive a barren of questioning if inspected by the clean-cut inquisitive types, as to why they would continue to write letters in an era that has reinvented communication. Yet, it is that alone that will support it's unique content.

Go for it man.

Maybe you can devise something like Romeo and Juliet meets The Davinci Code.

Torn apart by parental forces, separated by thousands of miles, their love is stronger and more meaningful than any simple text message.

The girl in her room, books stacked everywhere pages through an almanac, drops it and rushes over to a constellation chart, figures something out, quickly does a math equation, unfolds a map, follows a route with her finger and arrives at a town name etc. decoding from the ordinary a message of extraordinary love.

(In the end when the guy decides for whatever reason to call it quits, this girl is there like a crazy person rerunning and double, triple, quadruple rechecking the code, looking for something she missed, heart broke by the poems and staues and titles, and places and art works of the world, and the consellations beyond it.)

Maybe she even takes her own life, then we see she had a simple text or something waiting that tried to warn her of a typo in the code that gave it a whole other meaning never intended.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Back