Fundraising for Your Film

Hi, I think it is very difficult, if you don't have a friends od family who wants to invest in your film :). I am from Eest Europe, and for me is hard to find funding for film.

It takes a huge effort to gain funding via any of the aforementioned Crowdfunding sites. Plenty of research, preparation and time are spent not only perfecting an interesting pitch, but pushing your material, and creating an honest connection between yourself and your audience.

There are plenty of threads on Crowdfunding here on Indietalk, so have a poke around, and see if it's for you.

Best of luck!

The only reason, in my opinion, to use IndieGoGo is if you're in a country (like the UK) that Kickstarter doesn't work with.

IndieGoGo totally deincentivises the entire process of crowdfunding because there's no deadline for you to meet. You get whatever you can raise so if some clown is aiming for $20,000 but only three people donate him $10 he still gets to keep that $30. As a result people who use IGG tend to be lazier about promoting their campaign because there's no urgency.

As a fairly frequent casual investor I very rarely donate to IGG (except to campaigns based in the UK) simply because I want them to work hard to raise there money, not simply be guaranteed my donation from the off. I donated to Kickstarter more frequently because I know that 50% of the time I won't end up paying a penny and this frees me up to do a lot more casual investing and I think this is probably true of a lot of people...

As a fairly frequent casual investor I very rarely donate to IGG (except to campaigns based in the UK) simply because I want them to work hard to raise there money, not simply be guaranteed my donation from the off. I donated to Kickstarter more frequently because I know that 50% of the time I won't end up paying a penny and this frees me up to do a lot more casual investing and I think this is probably true of a lot of people...

Such a generous, honest man, Mr.Clapper. :lol:

IndieGoGo totally deincentivises the entire process of crowdfunding because there's no deadline for you to meet. You get whatever you can raise so if some clown is aiming for $20,000 but only three people donate him $10 he still gets to keep that $30. As a result people who use IGG tend to be lazier about promoting their campaign because there's no urgency.
To me, this verges on fraud. So if a filmmaker is asking for $20,000
and raises only $6,000 the filmmaker keeps the money?

I donated to Kickstarter more frequently because I know that 50% of the time I won't end up paying a penny and this frees me up to do a lot more casual investing and I think this is probably true of a lot of people...
This is didn't know. I looked around the Kickstarter site (clearly not
hard enough) with this in mind. I might be tempted to donate knowing
that if the project isn't funded I don't have to pay out.

To me, this verges on fraud. So if a filmmaker is asking for $20,000
and raises only $6,000 the filmmaker keeps the money?

This is didn't know. I looked around the Kickstarter site (clearly not
hard enough) with this in mind. I might be tempted to donate knowing
that if the project isn't funded I don't have to pay out.

That's one of the stipulations that sees IGG out perform Kickstarter, not necessarily for quality, but most certainly quantity. Whether that's a good thing, I'm not sure. It generaly encourages more "backers", and more viewers, but there's inevitably more choice.

Nick has said that it encourages alot of the film-makers to be lazy. I see this with Kickstarter, too. It depends entirely on the person behind the project. But, alas, it's something of a comfort blanket to know that you keep whatever you raise, regardless, so who's to know?

Having listened to alot of the IGG podcasts, with a few of their representatives. The message keeps being repeated that "If they don't raise the funds, they can always campaign again." So I would believe that this is why that stipulation is inplace. You could essentially keep rebuffing your target after every campaign, given that people continue to fund. But there's the challenge.

I feel as though too many favour "Crowdfunding" beside that of applying to their Funding sector, Private investment, or raising the funds themselves, for all the wrong reasons.

It's the idea that the folks "giving" you the money, is easier. All of the above require somebody somewhere to give up their cash. Each option is a massive effort.

AGreeing with Nick and Paper. We chose Kickstarter over indieGoGo for those very reasons. When we looked at the options, I asked myself which one feels more secure for backer.

The obvious answer was Kickstarter. I think an IndieGoGo campaign wouldn't have been successful for us, but with Kickstarter we raised a few hundred over our goal, which was pretty high to begin with I think

Crowdfunding actually does work, you must do the legwork to make it happen, though.

Not too bad at all.

Any idea on how many people who don't know you or
anyone connected to your movie at all are donating?

IndieGoGo runs a "Traffic" leaderboard. I'm not sure whether it has been introduced yet. It shows the statistics of those routing for you (Via Twitter, FB etc). You can see who has drove the most hits/donations to your campaign. This allows you to see EXACTLY how your campaign is doing. How many eyes see your page, compared to how many donations. It lets you know if you're doing enough. A constant reality check.

Real neat stuff, and hopefully, it'll serve as the push that is needed to get most film-makers over the finish line.

yeah its called the Analytics summary
At this very moment this is the scene:
Page Views 13,954
Funders 98
Contributions $11,325
Favorites 114
Referrals* 4,965
* Referrals is the number of visits that result from someone sharing your campaign using widgets, facebook, twitter, myspace, emails, etc (from the SHARE THIS CAMPAIGN section)

Yes I know directly or thru a larger network 80% of the people who have contributed. But 50% of the 80% of them I have never met. :)

There was some great news today -the project was selected at a co-production lab at the Locarno international film festival.
Read more...
So we are one of 12 projects that will run for a $50,000 top prize and too smaller prizes in August. We are also invited in Locarno, Switzerland all expenses paid for the co-production lab.
We have had a lot of press since this morning -
Variety - which gave me and the project a top mention http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036299
Film Business Asia - which gave me full large photo http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/locarno...ndian-projects
Hollywood Reporter - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-indian-184490
and some others too

Things are looking very good.

Last edited:
yeah its called the Analytics summary
At this very moment this is the scene:
Page Views 13,954
Funders 98
Contributions $11,325
Favorites 114
Referrals* 4,965
* Referrals is the number of visits that result from someone sharing your campaign using widgets, facebook, twitter, myspace, emails, etc (from the SHARE THIS CAMPAIGN section)

Yes I know directly or thru a larger network 80% of the people who have contributed. But 50% of the 80% of them I have never met. :)

There was some great news today -the project was selected at a co-production lab at the Locarno international film festival.
Read more...
So we are one of 12 projects that will run for a $50,000 top prize and too smaller prizes in August. We are also invited in Locarno, Switzerland all expenses paid for the co-production lab.
We have had a lot of press since this morning -
Variety - which gave me and the project a top mention http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036299
Film Business Asia - which gave me full large photo http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/locarno...ndian-projects
Hollywood Reporter - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-indian-184490
and some others too

Things are looking very good.

That's it! Thanks for the clarification.

I've been checking out your campaign for the past few weeks. You're a fantastic example of putting 110% into your campaign. I sincerely hope you stick around to share your methods.

Back