• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Free (and crappy) VFX.

I have been doing some VFX training, in 2D and 3D, and I need as much practice as I can have.
So, if you have some old project that you left behind, or some footage that you would like me to add VFX to, I'll be glad to do it.
I like destruction projects the most (such as collapsing bridges), or adding elements to the footage.

I repeat: This will not be comercial grade VFX (at lease I don't want to promise that) but it's better than discarding an old project altogether.
Don't shoot stuff depending on me, since I might not do it, but rather upload useless footage that you would like me to try something on.

although I dont have any footage for you at the moment, i think its really cool what you are doing to get experience. (im on that boat too, graduating senior going to college.) BTW what college are you in?

I taught myself :lol: I downloaded tutorials and such. What program do you use?

Hi, Jake

The rendering changes you made to Cracker Funk's credit logo are great.

Another homage to Star Wars route would be a play on the length of a huge logo font spaceship moving into the camera's FOV by having either:

A - the letter face side of the stacked "CRACKER FUNK" font ship scroll past the left side into the FOV, when completely inside the FOV they make a soft starboard (right) turn to the current final display position. Because they remain stacked the font ship moves slower implying weight.

B - to play on length and to move the font ship faster implying power do the same with the "K" from FUNK lead in first, CRACKER behind it, as the word FUNK hits the starboard turn point it lowers by 53% into position while CRACKER moves up 53% into the turn (creates a thin 6%+/- gap) over the word FUNK.

Hmm... Maybe the word CRACKER should be in place first. In which case have CRACKER come in first from the right side, beginning with the letter C, followed by FUNK lowering under it.

In all your spare student time, of course. ;)

Great ideas! Still, I think cracker wants to keep the original concept.
:lol: I'm going for a major in engineering, so it's kind of hard to find time for moviemaking :(

after effects normally. Some one gave me motion and ive been playing around with that for now. What i like about AE though are all the cool tutorials online. what about you?

Okay, so I wasn't sure if I should PM you with the tweeks, or put it on here, but since you're posting it here, and since a few people seem to have taken a little interest, might as well let it be seen by all, no?

The planet you created is awesome. I also really like the spaceship texture you've added to the text. That looks really good.

The one tweek I would ask for is in the timing, and the timing is crucial. If you look at the :07 mark of your video, that really looks like a spaceship overhead. That needs to come much sooner.

In fact, as far as timing is concerned, I think that's one thing that I definitely like about my original version. The spaceship-like-text enters as soon as the drum-roll finishes, and it lingers, moving slowly overhead, until the text begins to reveal itself around the :09 mark. And then, at the end, the text should either zoom away really quickly, or zoom forward really quickly, as the final bit of music plays.

Lastly, the stars and space you have behind the planet look really great. But the inner-nerd in me can't stop from thinking that nebulas like that can only be seen with the Hubble telescope. If a camera is within some sort of solar system, you can really only see stars behind planets. Please don't hate me, I'm a nerd. So, anyway, I'm thinking we combine your awesome planet with the starfield that I sent you. Sound cool?

It's really awesome that you're doing this. Cheers!

I'm a huge nerd too, but the nebulas looked cool in other pics, so hey, why not? I'll be checking that layer off.
About timeing, I can correct it, but it will take time. I have to sync it and re-render it, which wouldtake about 5 hours, or more, depending on how much of the text shows when.
Yeah the text should movie quicker. Actually, that was one of the things I was thinking on corrcting if you where going to use it, since correcting it right away, and then wasting 5 more hours, would...well, f- me up.

I'm a huge nerd too, but the nebulas looked cool in other pics, so hey, why not? I'll be checking that layer off.
About timeing, I can correct it, but it will take time. I have to sync it and re-render it, which wouldtake about 5 hours, or more, depending on how much of the text shows when.
Yeah the text should movie quicker. Actually, that was one of the things I was thinking on corrcting if you where going to use it, since correcting it right away, and then wasting 5 more hours, would...well, f- me up.

Then, there is this possibility -- it would take some time for rendering, so you'd have to let it work while you sleep. But if you put the text in front of a green-screen, and have the whole thing move at 50% speed, that would allow me to manipulate the speed to my heart's content.

It's rendered with an alpha channel, so it's alredy there.
I'm alredy rendering a LowDef (?) version to check out the new timeing, I might upload the clip, and if it has your approval, I render today.

Not my logo, but if it were I'd have some of the stars twinkling in the background and a very slow rotation on the planet, something to give it some subtle motion before the text comes in.

A sun behind the planet that's flaring over before the text blocks it would be killer too.

Again, not my logo, so do what you guys want haha.

Not my logo, but if it were I'd have some of the stars twinkling in the background and a very slow rotation on the planet, something to give it some subtle motion before the text comes in.

A sun behind the planet that's flaring over before the text blocks it would be killer too.

Again, not my logo, so do what you guys want haha.

The only reason stars twinkle is because the Earth's atmosphere.
So they shouldn't twinkle if you want it to be realistic.

NERDYNESS, NO HATIN'

Cracker, I just threw this together. It's a pre-render, so no background, and now lighting. Just a timeing test.
Is it ok now? Should I go ahead and render the whole thing out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQS4t-nOHk

Very nice. I hope you don't mind me being nit-picky, but as far as timing is concerned, I have just one more request. The spaceship-like text comes in overhead at the perfect time. The Logo comes into view at the right time. However, in-between those two events, can we slow one part of it down, and speed the other up?

It'd be really cool if the illusion of spaceship lasts just a few seconds longer. In this version, the spaceship illusion ends at the :05 mark, as we begin to see the front side of the text. Can we delay that moment? It'd be great if we didn't start seeing the front side of the text until :09. Of course, that would mean that the speed of the movement would have to speed up after :09, so that the text will be in full view by :13.

You're really doing a terrific job. I really appreciate this.

I'll try. Manual animation is not my cookie, but I'll try to modify the curves.
I'm leaving in two hours, if you are around in the next hour or so, please wait for my video, so that I can have your approval and leave it rendering while I'm out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCczqx0Ylk

What about now?

TheMurph: I'll try to get to it, but, as I said, college is my priority now. I'm really sorry if I can't. Let me finish what I started and after that I'll see. Again, I'm sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaCczqx0Ylk

What about now?

TheMurph: I'll try to get to it, but, as I said, college is my priority now. I'm really sorry if I can't. Let me finish what I started and after that I'll see. Again, I'm sorry.
Hey, no worries. As a full time worker, and a full time uni student, I understand limited time. Seriously, no problem. :)

Back