First Documentary HEEEELP!

So I am going to begin my first documentary in a few weeks, right now I'm doing research on the topic, which is "Token" African American's in white fraternities and Sororities... It's my first time ever trying film making just wanted to know if anyone has an advise as to how I should get started, what questions to ask, or ANYTHING!

advise as to how I should get started, what questions to ask, or ANYTHING!

You will learn a tonne of stuff, by doing that Katrina interview with that relative of yours first. It will be low-pressure situation with someone you're comforatble with. That way you can make all the rookie mistakes that will happen during the first time, and be better prepared for future events.

Also, join your local ToastMasters club. You will learn and develop some great speaking skills, but more importantly... how to piece together conversations from fragments of conversation. This will be invaluable when generating new questions to keep the conversation going with your interviewees. You'll also learn how to break topics down into manageable blocks.

Start with the easy stuff (and be prepared) before starting something that will be pretty volatile. :)

I guess you could interview a few of these "token" members and get their perspective on what it's like to be a "token" member, or interview other members of the frat or sororities and get their perspective on these "token" members.

So I am going to begin my first documentary in a few weeks, right now I'm doing research on the topic, which is "Token" African American's in white fraternities and Sororities... It's my first time ever trying film making just wanted to know if anyone has an advise as to how I should get started, what questions to ask, or ANYTHING!

I agree with Zensteve. A couple practice interviews will go a long way. You should also be playing with your camera as much as possible right now. Do you know the basics of photography?

Why is it you want to make this particular documentary?

Well I go to a predominantly white school, African Americans only hold 5% of the population, of those few African Americans the majority of them prefer to join a white organization over an African American one. Not to say that that is a problem as long as they are doing it for the right reasons, but there are people that say they are just "tokens", it isn't to say that I believe that, it's kind of a chance for those "tokens" to either prove the stereotype right or wrong, by explaining their decision....aaaand I'm really fascinated by the Greek life

lol, I had you confused with another forum member who's been posting about starting their first doc.

Explains why my earlier reply would make no sense to you. Oops. Heh. :blush:

Well I go to a predominantly white school, African Americans only hold 5% of the population, of those few African Americans the majority of them prefer to join a white organization over an African American one. Not to say that that is a problem as long as they are doing it for the right reasons, but there are people that say they are just "tokens", it isn't to say that I believe that, it's kind of a chance for those "tokens" to either prove the stereotype right or wrong, by explaining their decision....aaaand I'm really fascinated by the Greek life

It sounds as though you're inspired by the motive, a step ahead of most. How long have you worked with your equipment, or will you have company on this voyage?

Be careful with terms such as "the right reasons". Judgement terms such as "right" or "wrong" have no place in documentaries.

What is the purpose of your doc? Is it to see how a African American feels to be a "token" in a fraternity or sorority? If thats all, in my opinion it could be a little shallow; unless you know of some extraordinary incident. I would definitely research the word "token", because you might not want to sit down with someone and ask them, "how does it feels to be a "token". That could be offensive.

Questions:
What makes a fraternity or sorority "white"? Is it based on the fact that they are a majority? Do these organizations consider themselves "white organizations". What about other races that partake in these organizations, are they choosing to be part of a "white" organization or do they just see more network opportunity in these clubs?

No need to answer, just a couple questions to help you find direction in your doc.

What is the purpose of your doc? Is it to see how a African American feels to be a "token" in a fraternity or sorority? If thats all, in my opinion it could be a little shallow; unless you know of some extraordinary incident. I would definitely research the word "token", because you might not want to sit down with someone and ask them, "how does it feels to be a "token". That could be offensive.

Questions:
What makes a fraternity or sorority "white"? Is it based on the fact that they are a majority? Do these organizations consider themselves "white organizations". What about other races that partake in these organizations, are they choosing to be part of a "white" organization or do they just see more network opportunity in these clubs?

No need to answer, just a couple questions to help you find direction in your doc.

It's not to see how it feels to be a token but to see if that is all they are, if that is really all it is. There is a lot of history behind Greek organizations that allot of people don't research on before they even decide to join one. I don't really know if I consider them "tokens" or not, but that is the point of the documentary I want to understand more why they decided to join those organizations over an African American one. Not to say they have to join an African American founded organization I just want to understand what is it that draws them to the white fraternities and sororities. And I call them "white" organizations because when they were first founded African Americans were not allowed to joint hem that is why we branched off and made our own, many people in African American organizations call them "tokens" because they feel like white organizations only take one or two African Americans to prove that they are not just a "white" Organization, and the reason they don't want to seem like just a "white" organization is because they don't want to seem racist, but I really don't have a side in this argument I really am doing the documentary as a way of finding more understanding about the topic, that is why I said it is their chance to either prove the stereotype right or wrong..

Questions:

But thanks for asking those questions it really made me think about why I am doing this and how I want to pose my questions to the people I interview

Back