Film Makers and Websites

Maybe this isn't the right place to post this question. Are film people beginning to use virtual meeting platforms to work on some aspects of the film making process? I can imagine going this route to work on a music video.

Work flow. I am glad you said that. I wouldn't have thought of that. I am use to hiring graphic artists to do logo design, album covers, and so forth, based upon what I describe to them. That is probably quite a bit less complicated than trying to put pictures to music or the other way around. I can see how people become highly specialized in this field and have their preferred way of doing things. Thanks for that explanation.

I'll second what Scoopicman said.

I think Zoom (and others) are a great way to collaborate. It opens
up the possibilities of working with people all across the globe. As
a director/editor I can work with a producer from anywhere. It's great.

Nate. I wish I had read your response again--before I responded to your recent post. In high school, I could never keep track of characters in novels, so it isn't surprising that I am having difficulty understanding who is who here. Several years ago, I discovered the character maps on Cliffnotes.com. Better late than never. Thanks for the information you provided here.

Last edited:
One of my questions is yet to be answered. Let's say I see a video here, the directing style of which lends itself to the type of song/music video I would want to produce. So, I would have that director's one sample video--here. How would I find more work samples from that same director. If I said, "Where can I find more samples of your work?" It would make perfect sense if that person could say, "On my website, where I post the trailers for all of my films." However, I am getting the impression that this is uncommon. Most indie film makers don't have a website on which they display samples of all of their works?

If you see the video on here, you could DM the director on here and tell them that you're interested in seeing more samples of their work. They would then share those samples IF they're interested in the possibility of working with you.

You can also check IMDb to see a list of all their work, and then look for where the most recent titles might be streaming.

They might have a reel (an abbreviated assembly of their material), they might have a YT or Vimeo channel, they might have a website, they might send you 15 links! Just ask!

If you see the video on here, you could DM the director on here and tell them that you're interested in seeing more samples of their work. They would then share those samples IF they're interested in the possibility of working with you.

You can also check IMDb to see a list of all their work, and then look for where the most recent titles might be streaming.
If you don't know the person's name, how could you look them up?

They might have a reel (an abbreviated assembly of their material), they might have a YT or Vimeo channel, they might have a website, they might send you 15 links! Just ask!
Ok. I will watch for categories of video genres and see if I can begin to narrow things down here--figure out who has the skills and the style I would want to hire and then ask directly. I am more accustomed to job boards than to discussion boards. I am learning though.

Just a musician hoping to find a film maker to work with at some point. No rush. But how to you get to know what skills each person here has, so you can begin to narrow down who you might want to invite to a future job you will eventually post here and on job boards?

"you could DM the director on here"--I don't know what this means.
So, how I do I find your profile here? Still learning. Thanks.

I look at this thread and click on your name. This pop up box appears. I don't know what the "D" stand for, but Send DM means you want to send a private message to another member, using this pop up box.

241439811_4136481559733944_7243311885191505174_n.jpg

Next, I click on Z-Art-Tone in that same box, and the screen below appears. I can now look at your Status, Activity, Posts, and anything you wrote about yourself in the "About" section.

241362559_4444949712231043_6680948206387798034_n (1).jpg

Back