Film Makers and Websites

Every person on the internet has 3 websites for each toothbrush they own, lol. If you're considering whether or not to build a website for your independent film, just go ahead and do it, its kind of a baseline these days. People will see your project as unprofessional if you don't have an address.

You best resume is your work and awards, and when you have that, you get it out there on social. Listing yourself in a directory really does nothing.

If someone is looking to hire a filmmaker based upon their "style" of film making, where would that person begin their search?
Like a business to business--client and contractor relationship. Does that exist for film makers? I am not certain I am asking the question correctly. What is the goal of most film makers? To gain exposure for the purpose of awards, or to make money doing what they love most?

Last edited:
I think it's best if we ask you so we can answer you. What is YOUR goal? What do you do (position) and what is your experience?

Filmmaking jobs generally come from personal connections, for better or worse. Those can be developed in film school or by working/volunteering on someone else's set.

The Directors Guild has a list of their members, but those are people who are already experienced filmmakers with solid credits. Likewise, so do SAG-AFTRA, the Writers Guild, etc.

Ok. I may be thinking about this altogether differently than those here do. This is one creative mind having a conversation with other creative minds. I am an independent music writer/artist/producer. I have always considered some of the most well done music videos as being works of art just as is some film. One of my near term goals is to either film my own music video (for paid streaming on my own website) or find someone (an individual) to work with who has experience with that type of video production or film making. How does music video art differ from a film maker's concept of film and film making? The point is that I would hire the individual to do the video/film work for me. Are we talking about two entirely different types of work here? Thanks.

Last edited:
I was in cover bands years ago. I made money performing for private functions. At this time in my life I am looking for a video/film person who can complement what I do in the home recording studio. The product would be a short artsy song film (with or without me in it) to put behind a paywall on my website. Is there no one on this website who would be qualified to produce this type of music video/film? Thanks.

Post your music in the Networking section here and see if someone wants to work with you. You can post a soundcloud link and it will embed the player.

Ok. I may be thinking about this altogether differently than those here do. This is one creative mind having a conversation with other creative minds. I am an independent music writer/artist/producer. I have always considered some of the most well done music videos as being works of art just as is some film. One of my near term goals is to either film my own music video (for paid streaming on my own website) or find someone (an individual) to work with who has experience with that type of video production or film making. How does music video art differ from a film maker's concept of film and film making? The point is that I would hire the individual to do the video/film work for me. Are we talking about two entirely different types of work here? Thanks.

Not different types of work – just different terms.

“Filmmaker” is fine. To be more precise you're looking for a either a director – if you
will be producing the music video – or a producer who will hire a director. Sometimes
the producer is also the director.
Is there no one on this website who would be qualified to produce this type of music video/film? Thanks.
There are several. I have directed a lot of music videos.

Not different types of work – just different terms.

“Filmmaker” is fine. To be more precise you're looking for a either a director – if you
will be producing the music video – or a producer who will hire a director. Sometimes
the producer is also the director.

There are several. I have directed a lot of music videos.
This is beginning to make some sense. So, if I decide to shoot several segments of video, because I already have an idea how they will work with a specific song, but I don't have enough interest in learning or time to learn how to use video editing software, am I the producer seeking a director, who then uses video editing software to create the final music video?

Last edited:
You are getting lost in the minutia. Terms, words, blah. Just get to work and label yourself when you do the credits.

Finding a film editor does sound less daunting. I'm just trying to learn a little lingo, so that when I am ready to post the job I sound like I know what I'm talking about. I might also attract a few more applicants to choose from. I wouldn't be prepared to start working on something like this until next summer at the earliest, so I will just keep asking questions.

Maybe I can help make this easier, let's just walk through the steps. I'm a director, and I have often produced work for hire in the past, so here is what I'd be telling you if you were attempting to hire me.

1. Send me some of the work you'd like extrapolated into visual form. I need first and foremost to understand what the source material is.
2. Explain your vision in terms of the visuals, or explain that you'd like a creative to pitch concepts.
3. Describe your budget.
4. Tell me what demographic you're trying to reach.
5. Elaborate on your timelines, deadlines, etc, if applicable.
6. Note if you have a preferred medium, and provide examples
7. Detail the scope of the project, is it an album, a single song, a commercial for your music to run in a 15, 30, or 60 second slot

Here's some helpful hints for working with visual directors on a budget. Many of us have spent years refining specific techniques, and working with specific pieces of software. You may have more luck finding a director with a style you like and then just letting them do their thing, rather than trying to force a particular workflow that may be out of a certain directors wheelhouse.

Back