favorite Favorite movie scene where bad guy realize someone is lying

Hey guys, post here your favorite scene where bad guys are being lied to

my favorites are scenes where the bad guy are in an room and talk to a character and suddenly they see something or notice something and realize they guy is lying
Mine is inglorious basters!

Ya! Usual Suspects :) Also, I haven't seen it, but I heard the scene in The Lovely Bones was chilling, when the dad pieces it together.

Hitchcock used this type of reveal in a lot of his films. Good stuff.

Where in the Usual Suspects does this happen? Unless you're talking about the policeman, in which case: how is he a bad guy?

I agree that this happens on a couple of occasions in Inglourious Basterds; the bar scene, as mentioned above, and the famous first scene.

Where in the Usual Suspects does this happen? Unless you're talking about the policeman, in which case: how is he a bad guy?

Where the detective (Chazz Palminteri) is listening to the bad guy -- Kevin Spacey, aka Keyser Söze ("the devil"), who spins the whole yarn out of items on the detective's wall. When Chazz lets him go, he returns to the room and starts noticing things on the wall and realizes the lie.

EDIT: Just reread the first line of the OP's post. I guess this is the reverse of what he's asking.

Last edited:
Speed (aka: The Bus That Could Not Slow Down) - when Dennis Hopper notices the little glitch in the looping video, that Keaneu Reeves had running, while circling at the airport.

No dialogue between characters, but it sure raised the stakes.

Yeah. :cool:

how is he a bad guy?

Well, more importantly he is Spacey's antaognist.

But Chaz was a dirty cop obsessed with catching Gabriel Byrne for crimes more imagined than real, and more than willing do break the rules doing so. Dirty Cop almost always equals bad guy in my book.

Ususal Suspects doesn't quite fit into the constraints, but it is a great example of the "unreliable narrator" being revealed to a character and the audience. But with the exception of the Byrne's lawyer/girlfriend there are no "good guys" in that movie.

Back