Faith Based film bandwagon?

Hello all,
I'd like to know if anyone is jumping on the Christian film bandwagon? Not that it's a bad thing at all, but I'm just wondering if anyone is trying to get into the new found attention given to faith based films? I think Fireproof really put the spotlight on the faith based genre. So, is anyone trying to capitalize on this rekindled industry? There have always been Christian films, but I think we see a lot of attention on these small independent films, any theories as to why they are so successful? One theory I have is that they overhype the movies. Fireproof was a good movie, but my wife and I both didn't think it was as good as all the hype made it out to be. So, I really don't want this Thread to discuss the movie Fireproof, but more about the whole christian film making industry. I'm just curious as to the opinions of others.

Last edited:
Wow, that rant was like V for Vendetta, with a lot less V words. I agree with the general sentiment though - I'd rather not make movies in a genre that I don't find an interest in, but in turn I accept the fact that during the day for a living I work with 11 people in a call center that is crammed into a kitchen by the freight elevator while a film production company produces 4 feature films just beyond the paper thin walls in what used to be our office (and will be again when they're gone). It sucks sitting there inches away from the dream, but I'd rather be a janitor for a jail than make a movie I couldn't throw my whole heart into. I'd only make a film about religion if it were akin to Life of Brian, Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter or the Jedi.

Anyway, just wanted to say this discussion is interesting. I'm making a horror-comedy right now, and this whole discussion made me think "Genre filmmaking is all about hitting the marks to please the crowd"... how you go about hitting those marks is the creative stuff, but you MUST hit them!

Now what would really interest me would be a Christian-Horror-Comedy... I can picture it now... Jesus comes back (in 2012) and befriends this nun, but when they visit this church the dead rise up and Jesus and the nun have to fend off zombies with the help of the church-goers. Jesus would shoot lasers out of his eyes that would turn the zombies into puppy dogs and rainbows, and then he and the nun would have to travel to hell to convince the devil to stop making zombies, which they would do by challenging him to a watermelon-eating contest at Patrick Stewart's house. The film would end with the nun falling in love with Jesus and as she starts f***ing his brains out she chokes on a watermelon seed and wakes up in hell for breaking her vows. The last shot would be her getting torn apart by demons and zombies. I think it would send a good message to the children about not breaking promises.

But this is why I avoid that genre, LOL.

I agree with the general sentiment though - I'd rather not make movies in a genre that I don't find an interest in,
For those of us who make our living making movies we often
don't have the option to pick and choose. If I had any other
skills at all I could choose the movies I make. But I don't. I
consider myself a work for hire filmmaker. Both as a writer
and director. I take the jobs I'm offered.

No matter what genre I'm hired for I can write a script or
direct a movie. I'd rather be making a movie than being a
janitor in a jail - or anything else.

Thomas Clay's upcoming release "The Message"

Represents a bold foray into Christian themed Horror Filmmaking. It should be out within the next 6 to 12 months...and yes I'm biased...since I"m in it. But the segments I've seen are gripping. With Erica Leerhsen...from
the remake of "Texas Chainsaw" and "Wrong Turn II" and "Blair Witch 2" etc

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006718/

Of course, the high point in faith-based media is FOX. publicpolicypolling.com says a third of the "conservative" respondents in New Jersey feel that Obama is probably the anti-Christ. Maybe, uglysex, your shining moment in the cultural zeitgeist has arrived!

I've sometimes put thought into making faith-based movies, but it would be purely from a financial standpoint rather than any artistic one. It's a demographic that doesn't get many movies targeted specifically at them, but when they do, the film usually does incredibly, on a financial level. Films like Passion of the Christ or Fireproof are absolutely terrible, but they are very profitable. (Due to that niche audience that isn't much interested in seeing secular works of art)

I would not make a faith-based movie no matter how untapped the market is because it goes against what I believe is best for society. I think religion is unhealthy so I don't want to promote it. Basically the same reason I wouldn't make a Nazi propaganda film no matter how much I were getting paid.

I will, however, be making plenty of science films in my career :)

I would not make a faith-based movie no matter how untapped the market is because it goes against what I believe is best for society.

What, btw, do you believe is best for society?

Also, which recent films have you seen which best illustrate and promote this belief?

Which recent films have you chosen to not see, due to opposing or repressing your belief of what is best for society?

Just curious. :)

What, btw, do you believe is best for society?
I believe in the pursuit of knowledge, and it is of my opinion that religion stunts the growth of knowledge because it presents us with an "answer" and robs us of a need to ask more questions.

I don't mind films that have religious themes, or films that are based on stories from the bible as long as they serve strictly as art or entertainment. There are many mainstream films that fit that category. I was under the impression that the OP was talking about making drama-based religious films that serve as educational materials, but I may be mistaken.

A side note: in Tim Burton's Ed Wood Ed Wood tries the other way around: getting funds from Christians for his blockbuster to ensure enough profit for 12 movies about the disciples.

Moral of this topic and that scene:
if you target the right audience there is money.

It is an interesting topic.
I think everyone should make his own choices on his own grounds.
If it feels right: go for it.
It's really that simple :)

A nice question is: can you break out of that niche once you made a successfull faith based movie without having to find a completely new audience?
Would Steven Seagal loose his audience when he stars in a romantic comedy?

As a filmmaker in this genre, I personally hate the term faith based. I stick with calling what I do Christian films, specifically controversial Christian films. My views are different than most Christians, and my movies reflect that. I'm in this market because as a Christian, I don't think I could do a horror film anymore (which I used to do) and feel okay about it. But everyone is different.

Just a reminder: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=4567

We are a group of filmmakers. Politics only serve to divide us. We do not allow political discussions unless they are related to film. If they turn into political bickering, they will be closed.

As a moderator, religious discussions fall under this rule for me. If we're discussing the topic as it applies to film making… yes. As soon as it becomes a religious debate, no. That's not what we're here for. We all have to respect each others' view points in this.

How interesting that this thread got, ahem, resurrected.

:lol:

I just read that article in the paper the other day, thought it was quite interesting, and didn't want to start a new thread, if there had already been a good discussion/thread going...in the ballpark. I knew the subject had come up here and there.

Right (, moonshieldmedia et al). I think we should be able to discuss the genre, its production issues, and its market(s) (and religion, since it's the topic of the genre) without anyone needing to express whatever negative value judgments they hold for this or that religion. Just a hopeful idea. =)

Haha, Dready, your puns are awesome!

I don't give a damn about the impact any film I make has on this world. I feel like if you're looking to movies for guidance, you're looking in the wrong place. To me, movies should really only be looked to for entertainment.

But Christians need entertainment, too. And I can see how devout Christians might not be so entertained by, just for example, a movie like 300: Rise of an Empire (holy crap, it's really violent, and rapey).

Is it so wrong for a non-Christian filmmaker to want to provide those Christians with a film that they would find entertaining? I don't think so. I think that such a thing would just be legitimate business. I want to put butts in seats (or, more realistically, get VOD rentals). To that end, it is very likely that I'll eventually make a Christian film.

I actually have been considering adapting one of my babies into a Christian film. Based on critiques I've received, I don't think this particular story really works as a Christian film, so I'm gonna hold off for now. But my next film after that, you better believe that there's a strong possibility it'll be full-blown Christian.

There shouldn't be any pride or shame in that. All I want to do is deliver a product to an audience.

I feel like if you're looking to movies for guidance, you're looking in the wrong place.

Eh, can't agree with this. You can learn about a variety of things from movies. Some things you learn in movies they don't even teach in history class! Important figures such as the Bear Jew and Django wouldn't be known without educators such as Quentin Tarantino. I've improved my social life by mimicking characters from films by directors such as, say, Lars Von Trier or Michael Haneke.

@Dready :lol:

:lol:

Right (, moonshieldmedia et al). I think we should be able to discuss the genre, its production issues, and its market(s) (and religion, since it's the topic of the genre) without anyone needing to express whatever negative value judgments they hold for this or that religion.

The original question asked in this thread was "I'd like to know if anyone is jumping on the Christian film bandwagon?"

In my post I simply stated that I was not jumping on that bandwagon, and explained my reason. Not against forum rules.

I only elaborated on my personal beliefs because Zen Steve asked for more specifics. It is not my intention to be offensive on this forum, but I am also not afraid to be open and blunt about my opinions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a nonbeliever making films for believers.

I wouldn't. I don't think.

But I also wouldn't cast the first stone at those who would.

Further, as a nonbeliever, I would say that there's a ton of interesting material in more than one holy book for storytellers, material that I might not mind exploiting ("exploiting" meant in a non-disparaging way) in a non-faith based, non-, or, not particularly canonical way.

It's far from an original observation that the Bible, for instance, is packed full of sex, violence, scandalous behavior, and bizarre ideas --all good story material, right?

Of course, what I'm talking about is pretty much un producible for the mainstream. :(

As a Christian, many of my films have Christian-based themes and symbolism, but they aren't really 'Christian films' like Fireproof or anything. Think of Martin Scorsese's early work and it's Catholic themes. For me, its more of an expression of self. I like to tell stories about the human experience, and growing up in Church and living a faith-based lifestyle, those types of stories are the human experience to me. I just express myself and if some people are turned off by that or excited by that, so be it.

Back