• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Exact words from Sky Copeland Regarding Indie Filmmakers!!!

The voice of reason, FFP (Post #63).

I get that you were unhappy with receiving criticism for something you posted in Promotion. And I sympathize. But I'm also under the impression that Skycopleland is a pretty good guy. I guess his choice of words on your original promotional post came off as a little dismissive, which I agree is unfortunate. Best not to post critiques in promotional threads, I guess. But I'm also sure that his heart was in the right place; he meant to be helpful. And many other members here have been far less sensitive over the years than, perhaps, he was in that post. On top of that, I also do think that because he really is just a "kid" (not meant in a patronizing way, SCL) all the more reason to cut him slack. Your actions here have been way disproportionate to the "crime."

One thing's for sure, OP, in my estimation, it is you who have made a bad impression by your behavior in this thread.

OP, this kind of vitriol, in my opinion at least, ought to be settled in PMs and, failing that, ought to be taken to the mods, possibly asking them for action...like removing a post, if that's a case you want to make to them.

I'm hoping that this thread is deleted. I think it crosses the line. And good riddance, if it would be. Its very purpose is to single out a member, a valued member, as far as I'm concerned, for a trashing.

So, let me get this straight... In your opinion... This guy... https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1375547326/created

Who managed to raise $10 to make a Big Cookie, should be giving this guy advice?

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1001692983/created

Now I'm a Premiere Member. Any other Red Herrings you'd like to throw into the argument? How about an Ad Hominem attack or two?

I assure you, what was said by SkyCopeland went well beyond normal and reasonable, or we wouldn't be here. I changed my mind, and kindly informed the others that asked why I changed my mind. It's people like yourself, and SkyCopeland who are continuing the discussion. You want it to die out. Then stop adding to it.

Last edited:
I suspect he's lying in a dirt ditch, recovering from a beatdown after he tried to inform a film crew they're all doing it wrong, mumbling while the blood trickles from his gushing head wound, "I told them, they need less contrast...."

hahaha, thanks for the chuckle. laughed at that one for a while!:lol:

Who pissed in your cheerios dude? Get over yourself.

you're accusing someone of doing the exact thing you're doing...all over this thread. just stop. you're slaughtering your reputation among a group of motivated, talented, and most importantly, connected individuals.

Becoming emotional about this AT ALL was a misstep from the very first post. You are supposed to be a professional, and this is making you look like a child.

you're accusing someone of doing the exact thing you're doing...all over this thread. just stop. you're slaughtering your reputation among a group of motivated, talented, and most importantly, connected individuals.

Becoming emotional about this AT ALL was a misstep from the very first post. You are supposed to be a professional, and this is making you look like a child.

No, it's making you aggravated and your impression is faulty. I personally don't care what you think. I've explained myself and those who ARE professional, IMHO would understand my misgivings and the reason for them.

You can continue to try to silence me by accusing me of childish behavior all you would like, however, that doesn't make you right. I'm glad you feel so self righteous that you can freely judge others with such affluence and acumen. BRAVO

Last edited:

TBH, I wouldn't want to work with anyone who would judge me for putting this incredibly arrogant prick in his place. If you think that doesn't happen on a movie set all the time, you're sorely mistaken.

I assure you, my posts on this thread are accurate, and non-emotional.

You want to read emotion into them, feel free. Still makes you wrong.

TBH, I wouldn't want to work with anyone who would judge me for putting this incredibly arrogant prick in his place. If you think that doesn't happen on a movie set all the time, you're sorely mistaken.

I assure you, my posts on this thread are accurate, and non-emotional.

You want to read emotion into them, feel free. Still makes you wrong.

whmb.gif

...?

Cool. Maybe one day I can read it.
So far I haven't made any money from film making but if that day comes I'll get a premium membership

While I haven't funded a million dollar project or found a viral idea like making potato salad, or a BIG COOKIE, I have successfully funded two small Kickstarter campaigns, raising over $7,500 collectively for my films. https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1001692983/created

HOW TO FUND YOUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN!

1. DON'T SLEEP - The reality is... pure and simple, you need to be prepared to lose sleep, contact every person you've ever known, post on every blog related to your specific field you can, etc...

2. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!!! DIG DEEP. Take people to lunch, be prepared that some will say, "sorry, I can't help you right now." Be nice!!! Notice the word, "WORK" in "NETWORK?" Call other people interested in working on your project. Have them make calls, ask them nicely to send emails/facebook messages. You'd be surprised who will help you, if they believe in you.

3. HAVE A GREAT VIDEO - I know a guy that can help you with this... LOL Don't make a boring video that explains the details of what you're trying to do. Notice in my video, I left you wondering? Sales is about the take away, and creating intrigue and interest. You show too much of your hand, people will say, "meh, sounds good, and good luck." Creating the feeling of "wanting more," is an excellent sales strategy.

4. SELL YOURSELF, AND NOT YOUR PRODUCT - Great salesmen know, people are 10 times more likely to buy from someone they like, than someone they don't like. Make a video that makes people like you and your enthusiasm, and they'll buy from you. Most commercials nowadays aren't about the product. They're about selling the company and its sense of humor more than the product itself. You like the company, you will be ten times more likely to buy the product. When was the last time you saw an Insurance company give you the details of coverage in a TV commercial? However, I bet if I sang, "Like a good neighbor..." you could finish the line.

5. FACEBOOK ADS - My co-producer mentioned this to me and I found an Executive Producer out of it. More people use Facebook than even Google. People spend 10 times more time using Facebook than any other website. You can target Facebook ads based on people's interests. For instance, my ads only went out to people who were interested in filmmaking, producing, directing, etc...

6. FIND FUEL - For me, I use people's disbelief and "that'll never work" comments as FIRE!!! What's yours?

7. HAVE A PROGRESS THERMOMETER ON YOUR FB PAGE "Cover Photo" - Self explanatory really. Update it everyday and people will see everytime you do and will eventually invest themselves in your success. Especially if they like you. https://www.facebook.com/justinrusso12 (This will be gone in the next few weeks.)

Last edited:
Cool! I think you should still sleep but there are some great ideas in there. Thanks.

The fact that the mods or the owner haven't already removed this thread makes me think that they do not intend to do so.

So you win.

But I doubt that you really do win.

Yes, it looks to me that your success is enough to move some other members to overlook your ill behavior on this forum. Or, maybe they have other reasons. I can't say.

Yes, I understand that you won't care what I think about this, especially given that I am not and no doubt will never be a working professional in the film business.

But, I've seen enough. I would go out of my way to, I would make a point to never work with you, to never work for you, to never help promote you, and to never help to fund you.

I can't be the only one, can I?

If not, then it would be a mercy to you if management wiped this thread from existence.

But you know what? Maybe they're doing everyone a favor by not doing so: a public service. Or, as the case may be, a professional service. Maybe, whether its their intention, or not, maybe they're giving you all the rope you need...

Good luck.

Let's try this again (this time without me getting pulled in)

Firstly, packing a sad at Richie and the likes is not advised. Those guys are veterans of film making and of this forum. They are the guys you want on your side if nothing else because their advice when they choose to give it is often absolute gold. You can't put a value on the advice these guys bring. They also happen to be all round fair, reasonable and accurate...people like myself will often do our best to understand things and then reword it and pass that knowledge on ourselves to those asking, and in my case, I often find that it is these guys that come in and correct me on points that I make because frankly they just know a hell of a lot more than I do. I like many here appreciate that kind of honesty and dedication to ensuring that it is the correct information that gets into the hands of those needing it. Sure, it makes me look a little silly sometimes, but this place, these forums are bigger then any one persons ego, and the beauty of these forums is that people understand this, and in this way we all manage to get on pretty well despite all of our different personal intricacies. We even poke each other in the ribs sometimes, and have debates where we disagree. That also is expected and enjoyed by all parties...but....and there is a but....

where that ends and problems arise is when one person starts to attack another in a personal way. To point at SkyCopelands kickstarter campaign is personal. To suggest that he shouldn't give advice because he failed to raise funds is ridiculous. If I was going to do a kickstarter campaign, I would talk to the likes of Sky, and myself also who also had a failed campaign, because we know what didn't work which is just as valuable as knowing what does.

You got some advice. You didn't like it. You didn't want it either. You didn't even ask for it...so far anyone can understand...but to then make threads about it and continually bag on the guy for that is not the way to go on. The way to go on would have been to brush it off, ignore it, continue with your project, continue to get on well with the people here that you do enjoy talking with, and go on to do your best on your footage. This option is still open right now, but if you keep this up, you will find these forums a rather lonely place for you because like others that have come before and since gone, one day you will turn up here and be met by a wall of continuing silence. Is this forum the be all and end all of whether you make it, absolutely not, but it sure is good to have friends into the same stuff that you are, and that is what this forum is.

The fact that the mods or the owner haven't already removed this thread makes me think that they do not intend to do so.

So you win.

But I doubt that you really do win.

Yes, it looks to me that your success is enough to move some other members to overlook your ill behavior on this forum. Or, maybe they have other reasons. I can't say.

Yes, I understand that you won't care what I think about this, especially given that I am not and no doubt will never be a working professional in the film business.

But, I've seen enough. I would go out of my way to, I would make a point to never work with you, to never work for you, to never help promote you, and to never help to fund you.

I can't be the only one, can I?

If not, then it would be a mercy to you if management wiped this thread from existence.

But you know what? Maybe they're doing everyone a favor by not doing so: a public service. Or, as the case may be, a professional service. Maybe, whether its their intention, or not, maybe they're giving you all the rope you need...

Good luck.

Thanks. Although it feels very backhanded, I'll still accept it.

Let's try this again (this time without me getting pulled in)

Firstly, packing a sad at Richie and the likes is not advised. Those guys are veterans of film making and of this forum. They are the guys you want on your side if nothing else because their advice when they choose to give it is often absolute gold. You can't put a value on the advice these guys bring. They also happen to be all round fair, reasonable and accurate...people like myself will often do our best to understand things and then reword it and pass that knowledge on ourselves to those asking, and in my case, I often find that it is these guys that come in and correct me on points that I make because frankly they just know a hell of a lot more than I do. I like many here appreciate that kind of honesty and dedication to ensuring that it is the correct information that gets into the hands of those needing it. Sure, it makes me look a little silly sometimes, but this place, these forums are bigger then any one persons ego, and the beauty of these forums is that people understand this, and in this way we all manage to get on pretty well despite all of our different personal intricacies. We even poke each other in the ribs sometimes, and have debates where we disagree. That also is expected and enjoyed by all parties...but....and there is a but....

where that ends and problems arise is when one person starts to attack another in a personal way. To point at SkyCopelands kickstarter campaign is personal. To suggest that he shouldn't give advice because he failed to raise funds is ridiculous. If I was going to do a kickstarter campaign, I would talk to the likes of Sky, and myself also who also had a failed campaign, because we know what didn't work which is just as valuable as knowing what does.

You got some advice. You didn't like it. You didn't want it either. You didn't even ask for it...so far anyone can understand...but to then make threads about it and continually bag on the guy for that is not the way to go on. The way to go on would have been to brush it off, ignore it, continue with your project, continue to get on well with the people here that you do enjoy talking with, and go on to do your best on your footage. This option is still open right now, but if you keep this up, you will find these forums a rather lonely place for you because like others that have come before and since gone, one day you will turn up here and be met by a wall of continuing silence. Is this forum the be all and end all of whether you make it, absolutely not, but it sure is good to have friends into the same stuff that you are, and that is what this forum is.

Okay, thx for your input. I've explained myself all I care to. You don't see it my way... GREAT!

Last edited:
Back