• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Exact words from Sky Copeland Regarding Indie Filmmakers!!!

To those that are wondering what this is about =

He deleted his initial like two line post he made when coming to the site (as many do), but I thought instead of explaining it as I have done for others, I just link him to where it was discussed for another first post promotion member of our site.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=57309

He took this personally, I didn't notice he replied, otherwise I would have cleared this earlier. I think he believes I actually cared what his project was actually about and looked at his trailer for it. However I was simply saying from a Kickstarter standpoint, it's a shit campaign. Barely anything on the page. It's a shock that it funded, but the occasional odd-case happens. Not unusual for that to happen on Kickstarter, but more unusual for the film slice.

Anyways, he sent me a rather rude and insulting private message here around 2pm yesterday that was meant to reduce my self-esteem I guess? However, I replied correcting his assumptions. And yes, I did give an in-sight on how film students look at indie filmmakers. Was it a rude in-sight? Yes. Film students are generally snobby fanatics. So yes, generally film students have problems with indie filmmakers (regardless of them being just that.) I never said that was MY stance on it. I'm a proud indie filmmaker.

So essentially, this is a "Told you so" and an "in your face" about a short that found $6k on Kickstarter. Grats to him for hitting his goal. I hope he produces a great short.

He should be happy he made his goal. Obviously he took your comments to heart.

So essentially, this is a "Told you so" and an "in your face" about a short that found $6k on Kickstarter. Grats to him for hitting his goal. I hope he produces a great short.

He should be happy he made his goal. Obviously he took your comments to heart.

A very unprofessional one at that. You should have seen the extremely rude private message I received from him. I tried to provide advise to him on how to improve his Kickstarter. He may have reached a few stretch goals if the Kickstarter campaign was better.

@Sweetie, our film is a short, which we have funded for the eventual goal of funding a feature film. I thought that was fairly clear in the video which was posted. I'm guessing you cannot see it since it has funded.

We have direct access to a named actor in LA. Can't say who yet. Not until we get a commitment. So we are shooting the short film, for seeking investors from the festivals, (like Billy Bob Thornton did with "Some Call it a Slingblade"), as well as for presenting to named actors for commitments for a feature film. Once we have said commitments from our named actors, we will of course begin seeking Angel Investors.

A story as old as time, I know. Main thing is, we got our desired funding. Combined with our existing capital, we bought about 1 solid day of shooting at a western set with horses, wagons, props and wardrobe, as well as 2 full days of shooting at a local production studio with full lighting grid and gear.

Last edited:
A very unprofessional one at that. You should have seen the extremely rude private message I received from him. I tried to provide advise to him on how to improve his Kickstarter. He may have reached a few stretch goals if the Kickstarter campaign was better.

You're not the angel you're presenting yourself as here.

Yes, I was absolutely wrong for how adamant and angry I got. Now, you take responsibility for your own actions, and we'll be square.

I don't get any of this.. Anyone care to explain the drama?

I let my exhaustion from my funding campaign, get the better of my common sense and I attempted to disparage someone who needs it. Typically I let that stuff go, but BELIEVE ME. This one had it coming, and I was too exhausted to stop myself.

Let's leave it at that and move on.

I thought that was fairly clear in the video which was posted. I'm guessing you cannot see it since it has funded.

I have to admit, I only took a quick glance, but from what I saw, there wasn't a video. At least not anymore. If I saw a video, I would have taken at least a peek. There may be a place that I could have found it, but it wasn't apparent to me.

Combined with our existing capital, we bought about 1 solid day of shooting at a western set with horses, wagons, props and wardrobe, as well as 2 full days of shooting at a local production studio with full lighting grid and gear.

It somewhat sounds exciting. I'd be even more excited if it was my production ;)

Let's leave it at that and move on.

Wise words, but drama is also so enticing ;)

Found the video. I just had to make a click to the main area. Guess that's a lesson learned. Google doesn't always deliver you to the page you really want.

I didn't find the pitch page bad. Of course there are areas of improvement, but I'm far from an expert in the area. You hit your goal, that's the main thing.

I'd be interested in following you to find out how you go through the whole process. With either success or failure and perhaps learn what you learn from the experience. Are you open to that?

I'd also love to see samples of work created by the production team, if they're publicly available, so I can have a bit of a context.

Either way, good luck with your journey.

do you think he is actually doing filmmaking?

I suspect he's lying in a dirt ditch, recovering from a beatdown after he tried to inform a film crew they're all doing it wrong, mumbling while the blood trickles from his gushing head wound, "I told them, they need less contrast...."

Dammit...I stop taking notice of this forum for two days and I miss some fun...Editor, no show...H44 also MIA...guess I'll search through some forums and see what else I can dig up to prod.

@Sweetie,

I don't mind at all, and I would like to share with everyone, as long as we can ALL remain humble and not put people on the defensive. This means you @SkyCopeland.

@Sweetie, I have a short film which I am currently going through re-edits, and scoring on, so unfortunately it's not available. It will be done shortly. Also, I have the Kickstarter video itself to my credit. I Directed, Produced, as well as completing all post production, including digital effects and sound. I didn't have the budget for any other post production services.

Jeff Zampino, my co-producer has "The Skyship Chronicles" to his credit, which is an official selection currently, at the GIFF. I'm pretty positive it's gonna win big, considering the production value and filmmaking talent involved.

I also have a number of short films which I've worked as a Sound Mixer on, and also have mixed and mastered. Not sure if I can find them online anymore. I'll have to see if they're available.

Last edited:
Yeah 6k for a short he must know people personally that were funding it for him.

I'm failing to see your point. There is an extremely small portion of films that fund on Kickstarter from the "Kickstarter" crowd. There are way too many projects for people to just come to Kickstarter to fund people. It's a very small number of people who randomly pledge to projects that they have not come to Kickstarter specifically for.

With that in mind, my project was funded both by people I knew personally, and people that were referred to my project by those same people. Over 60% of my project was funded by people I didn't know.

My project has 91 backers. I don't know more than 30 people with money enough to just give me $6,000.

Either way, what does it matter? I funded right? I'm going to shoot my film. You keep complaining about stuff here on IndieTalk.

Back