• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Exact words from Sky Copeland Regarding Indie Filmmakers!!!

Yeah 6k for a short he must know people personally that were funding it for him.

You know what's funny? The filmmakers I know would never complain HOW I got the money. In fact my two biggest contributors were from out of state and came completely unreferred. They saw my project on KS and pledged a total of $1,200 collectively. Since then, they have joined me on FB, but before that I didn't even know who they were.

You're not the angel you're presenting yourself as here.

Yes, I was absolutely wrong for how adamant and angry I got. Now, you take responsibility for your own actions, and we'll be square.

I have already taken responsibility for what I've said about indie filmmakers multiple times in this thread. Don't continue to be angry at me because you misunderstand my intentions. A lot of first time posters don't even get replied to on certain things, Kickstarter promoting being almost certain to be ignored here from first time posters. I tried to help you make a better campaign by pointing out the flaws in the campaign page.

It's like you think I wanted your project to fail because I randomly dislike you? No. I wanted your project to overfund, with multiple stretch goals (btw... I'm not sure if other film kickstarters randomly have done this... but you're supposed to give people a reward for stretch goals... not simply say you would like 8k now...).

@Sweetie,

I don't mind at all, and I would like to share with everyone, as long as we can ALL remain humble and not put people on the defensive. This means you @SkyCopeland.

Why do you keep doing this? You understand your response to my advise in the very beginning is extremely defensive? This thread was you being extremely defensive (and trying to slander me out of context). And here I'm sitting simply talking with no intentions other than replying to what people say in a thread ABOUT ME.

As for you telling your Kickstarter story, I'd be very amused to hear it. By Kickstarter logic you should have failed and finding out what caused you to fund would be a great learning experience.

Why do you keep doing this? You understand your response to my advise in the very beginning is extremely defensive? This thread was you being extremely defensive (and trying to slander me out of context). And here I'm sitting simply talking with no intentions other than replying to what people say in a thread ABOUT ME.

As for you telling your Kickstarter story, I'd be very amused to hear it. By Kickstarter logic you should have failed and finding out what caused you to fund would be a great learning experience.

Take it easy man. I just asked you to take responsibility for your actions. If you feel you've done so, and you plan on continuing to do so going forward, then that's great. Continuing to push it is only going to dig a deeper hole for yourself.

If you can't hear how sarcastic and rude you're being, even in your last post, then unfortunately, you and I will never see eye to eye. And the comment I just quoted above, is a prime example, which only serves to further reinforce the stereotypical behavior you display.

Slow your roll buddy, I'm not attacking you.
Most of us indie film makers are very interested in the 'how' behind successful kick starters.

Okay, my secret was, I busted my ass for the first 2 weeks. Called friends, family, neighbors, schoolmates, etc...

Then, the excitement / interest generated from the first 1.5k lead to people coming from all over to pledge.

I've barely slept. I now have 6k I didn't have. So, I'd say that was successful.

Regardless of what anyone else here has to say, statisically speaking Kickstarter campaigns fail. So, mine was a win because I busted my ass, plain and simple.

Slow your roll buddy, I'm not attacking you.
Most of us indie film makers are very interested in the 'how' behind successful kick starters.

Well SkyCopeland seems to know it all. You really don't need to ask us success stories. You just need him. Oh, sorry, he admitted, he hasn't funded a film on KS yet, SO I guess you're stuck with us Success stories who apparently don't know what we're doing.

LOL

Last edited:
Okay, my secret was, I busted my ass for the first 2 weeks. Called friends, family, neighbors, schoolmates, etc...

Then, the excitement / interest generated from the first 1.5k lead to people coming from all over to pledge.

I've barely slept. I now have 6k I didn't have. So, I'd say that was successful.

Regardless of what anyone else here has to say, statisically speaking Kickstarter campaigns fail. So, mine was a win because I busted my ass, plain and simple.

Cool, thanks for the story. If you meet your goal and can make your film then it's successful.

Well SkyCopeland seems to know it all. You really don't need to ask us success stories. You just need him. Oh, sorry, he admitted, he hasn't funded a film on KS yet.

LOL

For fun fact. I don't need to Kickstart any short films... I did three this month. Doing two more in April as well as two commercials.

I attend one of the highest earning for profit film schools in the world... I have multi-million dollar soundstages and equipment cages at my disposal. Arri Alexa, and endless lights that would cost 6k each at least... The only thing I pay for is costumes and some props... Which I pay out of pocket because it would be needless to ask Kickstarter for 500$ or less.

The benefits of going to Full Sail far outweigh it's bad reputation.

For fun fact. I don't need to Kickstart any short films... I did three this month. Doing two more in April as well as two commercials.

I attend one of the highest earning for profit film schools in the world... I have multi-million dollar soundstages and equipment cages at my disposal. Arri Alexa, and endless lights that would cost 6k each at least... The only thing I pay for is costumes and some props... Which I pay out of pocket because it would be needless to ask Kickstarter for 500$ or less.

Awesome news. Hope it works for you. Please post a link to your work when completed. I've looked you up on IMDB. Nothing yet.

Yes, AND my point is, that you don't know what it takes to fund a film on KS since you haven't done it. So stop acting so high and mighty about how mine should have failed based on your knowledge gained by reading other people's blogs.

I myself have successfully funded 2 shorts, and my production staff have funded their's successfully as well. So, our collective experience/knowledge is MUCH greater than your blog research

I'm glad you're keeping at this, so you can continue to "out" your elitist attitude. Thanks man.

Last edited:
Awesome news. Hope it works for you. Please post a link to your work when completed. I've looked you up on IMDB. Nothing yet.

I don't just put up anything on IMDb. Also, as per my school's requirements, they will have us work on a big budget film that will give us our IMDb credit. I'd rather let them go through that mess than me, as I've done no research on how to open an IMDb page.

If you want to see my work, and stick around the site..., keep tabs on my Film School Breakdown Blog, I'll post em there when I get to this month.

I don't just put up anything on IMDb. Also, as per my school's requirements, they will have us work on a big budget film that will give us our IMDb credit. I'd rather let them go through that mess than me, as I've done no research on how to open an IMDb page.

Well, that's another reason for my animosity towards you. You don't even know how IMDB credits are earned, yet you're here in the INDIETALK forum, blasting a filmmaker with multiple credits, and insinuating with your last comment that we ourselves just put, "anything" out on IMDB. Yet that's not the case.

Each and every one of us is busting our asses and working hard to put up our best work, which respresents the best of our efforts. Your last, fucked up comment, is indicative of the arrogance which is instilled in you at that filmschool you go to.

"PREMIERE MEMBER" pfffft!!!

Last edited:
I have an IMDB page from the documentary I was in.
But you have to subscribe to IMDB Pro if you want to claim your profile.

Well, that's another reason for my animosity towards you. You don't even know how IMDB credits are earned, yet you're here in the INDIETALK forum, blasting a filmmaker with multiple credits, and insinuating with your last comment that we ourselves just put, "anything" out on IMDB. Yet that's not the case.

Each and every one of us is busting our asses and working hard to put up our best work, which respresents the best of our efforts. Your last, fucked up comment, is indicative of the arrogance which is instilled in you at that filmschool you go to.

"PREMIERE MEMBER" pfffft!!!

Why do you assume so much? I didn't say that I don't know how to get credits. I don't know how to make a page. For a short to be eligible for IMDb credit it requires it have been shown at a qualified festival, broadcasted, etc... as can be quickly seen by Google Search. However, if you don't make a page and request ur credits, you never get them. As with my editing instructor has no IMDb but has worked on many features

Also Premiere Member simply states that I donated to the site.

Last edited:
Each and every one of us is busting our asses and working hard to put up our best work, which respresents the best of our efforts. .

Some of us are, anyway.

This message board actually gets a lot of new posters like this

"Hey I made this film with no script just a couple friends of mine last weekend! Check it out"

And then it opens with a minute and a half of credits for a 6 minute improv film

Some of us are, anyway.

This message board actually gets a lot of new posters like this

"Hey I made this film with no script just a couple friends of mine last weekend! Check it out"

And then it opens with a minute and a half of credits for a 6 minute improv film

LOL, that's funny. Yeah, I see those guys on Kickstarter also. They want $35,000 to fund a film, and if you watch their campaign video, their footage is bouncy, poorly lit, sound is "on camera," etc...

Totally get it.

Why do you assume so much? I didn't say that I don't know how to get credits. I don't know how to make a page. For a short to be eligible for IMDb credit it requires it have been shown at a qualified festival, broadcasted, etc... as can be quickly seen by Google Search. However, if you don't make a page and request ur credits, you never get them. As with my editing instructor has no IMDb but has worked on many features

Also Premiere Member simply states that I donated to the site.

Well, smart guy, if you know how IMDB credits are earned, you know that there is no reason to disparage the work I'm doing, and/or the credits I've earned.

The actors/crew in my last short are all, professional, "working," talent/crew and one of them is a recurring character in a very high profile TV show I'm only able to privately tell you about, due to her NDA.

I just find it hard to believe that your filmschool experience is being fully funded by the studio you work for. I'd like to know what studio would fund an teenager's filmschool, with no film/tv/radio experience/credit. Submitting a film to a festival will get you at least a couple of credits.

Back