• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Exact words from Sky Copeland Regarding Indie Filmmakers!!!

Well, smart guy, if you know how IMDB credits are earned, you know that there is no reason to disparage the work I'm doing, and/or the credits I've earned.

The actors/crew in my last short are all, professional, "working," talent/crew and one of them is a recurring character in a very high profile TV show I'm only able to privately tell you about, due to her NDA.

I just find it hard to believe that your filmschool experience is being fully funded by the studio you work for. I'd like to know what studio would fund an teenager's filmschool, with no film/tv/radio experience/credit. Submitting a film to a festival will get you at least a couple of credits.

In our private messages I told you they are giving me a raise for coming here. I didn't say they are paying for it.

I already told you. Scholarships and grants. I have an AMAZING memory which has allowed me to be a top percent student along with being very good at learning how financial aid works and the holes to get through to pay nothing for my education.

In our private messages I told you they are giving me a raise for coming here. I didn't say they are paying for it.

I already told you. Scholarships and grants. I have an AMAZING memory which has allowed me to be a top percent student along with being very good at learning how financial aid works and the holes to get through to pay nothing for my education.

Well, then good luck. I know for a fact that my current path is correct. You incorrectly judged me, my work etchic, and the reach of my experience / knowledge. Which is why I was able to fund my campaign against your vast knowledge solely rooted in other's experiences. It blows your mind, so YOU HAVE TO belittle it. Otherwise you're wrong. And no way in your "filmschool" brain, can I possibly have funded, unless I was damn lucky. Oh, LUCK, that's the convenient answer. LOL

AND somehow, you're incredulous to understand why I got pissed. My god man.

Last edited:
Fuck sakes...SkyCopeland, I like the chats we have on here, you seem like a nice guy. Continuing to debate this is not doing you any favours though...remember that these threads are viewable by any public who care to look for them. I don't know what sort of advice you gave this lad but from what I have seen you are generally pretty laid back and helpful...step back and let this go. You gain nothing by rising to these nibbles.

Jrusso...you seem to be relentlessly trying to point score against Skycopeland. I don't know you but already I am starting to get a bad impression because of the snappy answers you have in this thread. I suspect that this is not the normal good hearted you that you would like to be on this, your first time meeting us, your first impression....perhaps instead of going at Skycopeland you might sit back and take a breathe. In your opinion the guy wronged you. I am sure many people in life have done so...the answer is not to turn it into a public grudge match but to accept it as no biggie and get on with life. Life is too short to hate on people based on advice they gave or views they expressed.

Nobody wins respect on here for managing to out argue another. We are all here for one reason, one purpose, and that is to make friends, seek advice, and get on with whatever our projects are from beginner to pro. I enjoy reading threads, and I enjoy a little drama, but enough is enough...let it go already.

Fuck sakes...SkyCopeland, I like the chats we have on here, you seem like a nice guy. Continuing to debate this is not doing you any favours though...remember that these threads are viewable by any public who care to look for them. I don't know what sort of advice you gave this lad but from what I have seen you are generally pretty laid back and helpful...step back and let this go. You gain nothing by rising to these nibbles.

Jrusso...you seem to be relentlessly trying to point score against Skycopeland. I don't know you but already I am starting to get a bad impression because of the snappy answers you have in this thread. I suspect that this is not the normal good hearted you that you would like to be on this, your first time meeting us, your first impression....perhaps instead of going at Skycopeland you might sit back and take a breathe. In your opinion the guy wronged you. I am sure many people in life have done so...the answer is not to turn it into a public grudge match but to accept it as no biggie and get on with life. Life is too short to hate on people based on advice they gave or views they expressed.

Nobody wins respect on here for managing to out argue another. We are all here for one reason, one purpose, and that is to make friends, seek advice, and get on with whatever our projects are from beginner to pro. I enjoy reading threads, and I enjoy a little drama, but enough is enough...let it go already.

I wish I could say you're right. However, you're wrong. I am not point scoring. This kid needs a good head smack. And he got it. I'm confident I'm right, and I'm not trying to PROVE anything. But thanks for your concern.

Well, then good luck. I know for a fact that my current path is correct. You incorrectly judged me, my work etchic, and the reach of my experience / knowledge. Which is why I was able to fund my campaign against your vast knowledge solely rooted in other's experiences. It blows your mind, so YOU HAVE TO belittle it. Otherwise you're wrong. And no way in your "filmschool" brain, can I possibly have funded, unless I was damn lucky. Oh, LUCK, that's the convenient answer. LOL

AND somehow, you're incredulous to understand why I got pissed. My god man.

Wait, so let me get this right.

You joined indietalk forums, and asked for advice on a kickstarter campaign.
SkyeCopeland replied with advice that you didn't like.
So I can assume you didn't follow his advice.

You then did well in the kickstarter campaign and reached your goal. (congrats by the way)
You then say here that it was not luck, it was effectively based on your reach, skill, and knowledge.

So...why did you come on here looking for advice to begin with?

Either you knew that you had reach, skill, and knowledge that would get you through, in which case you were wasting our time, effectively trolling our forum?

OR

You weren't so confident in your reach, skill, and knowledge when you came on here to ask for advice, in which case you kind of fluked it, and are now grand standing?

You then did well in the kickstarter campaign and reached your goal. (congrats by the way)
You then say here that it was not luck, it was effectively based on your reach, skill, and knowledge.

Either you knew that you had reach, skill, and knowledge that would get you through, in which case you were wasting our time, effectively trolling our forum?

OR

You weren't so confident in your reach, skill, and knowledge when you came on here to ask for advice, in which case you kind of fluked it, and are now grand standing?

Been a member since last year, just haven't had alot to say.

I NEVER asked for advice. I merely posted my Kickstarter campaign in the "Promotion" forum, asking for my fellow members to help spread the word and possibly pledge themselves. As I would do for them, and have done for other filmmakers.

SkyCopeland acted like a pompous jerk, stating that my campaign wouldn't fund, to which I reacted harshly by posting something that SkyCopeland said about Indie Filmmakers, and backtracked out of respect for the community. Since then, SkyCopeland has continued to pompously and piously dig a deeper hole for himself.

Any further issues with me?

Last edited:
Been a member since last year, just haven't had alot to say.

I NEVER asked for advice. I merely posted my Kickstarter campaign in the "Promotion" forum, asking for my fellow members to help spread the word and possibly pledge themselves. As I would do for them, and have done for other filmmakers.

SkyCopeland acted like a pompous jerk, stating that my campaign wouldn't fund, to which I reacted harshly by posting something that SkyCopeland said about Indie Filmmakers, and backtracked out of respect for the community. Since then, SkyCopeland has continued to pompously and piously dig a deeper hole for himself.

Any further issues with me?

No further issues to report :lol:

OR

Oh, one more thing. SkyCopeland's advice was not only NOT solicited, but it consisted of NO personal experience, was rude as hell, and only contained a link to a blog by someone else, regarding their OPINIONS.

Watched the first 1:18 of that vid...yea that actually looks good.
I can see why people would pledge to that.

Add me to your "please keep posted' list. Looks like a film I want
to follow the journey on and watch when it's produced.

Absolutely and thank you. I got way more support than I initially anticipated. I had hoped I would find EPs and in the end found 91 backers. Blew my mind actually.

You came in here telling people to stop arguing and got dragged into another argument :lol:

I swear, I only closed my eyes for a minute and the thread exploded.

As for you telling your Kickstarter story, I'd be very amused to hear it. By Kickstarter logic you should have failed and finding out what caused you to fund would be a great learning experience.

I'm more interested in what happens after the promo film is complete. The next part where this is used to leverage a feature film investment. I see the success of a $6k KS campaign, while it's an accomplishment, it's only part of the first steps. It's the rest of the journey that interests me mostly.

statisically speaking Kickstarter campaigns fail.

An interesting piece of information that I fell upon a while back is the success is often linked with the size of the campaign as well as the reach and ability of the campaign runner(s) to market the campaign. The problem that I have... there is so much information that contradicts people's suggestions. It's hard to decide what's a right course of action and what isn't.

mine was a win because I busted my ass, plain and simple.

I suspect there was more to it, but sometimes it's just really hard to put your finger on it (and sometimes secrets are meant to be secrets, right?)

Hell, it surprises me how some campaigns get funded and how others fail to find funding. I'm sure busting ass (kissing, kicking ass etc) is part of the equation.

For a short to be eligible for IMDb credit it requires it have been shown at a qualified festival, broadcasted, etc...

The requirements have been significantly relaxed. I'm not sure when the change happened.

The voice of reason, FFP (Post #63).

I get that you were unhappy with receiving criticism for something you posted in Promotion. And I sympathize. But I'm also under the impression that Skycopleland is a pretty good guy. I guess his choice of words on your original promotional post came off as a little dismissive, which I agree is unfortunate. Best not to post critiques in promotional threads, I guess. But I'm also sure that his heart was in the right place; he meant to be helpful. And many other members here have been far less sensitive over the years than, perhaps, he was in that post. On top of that, I also do think that because he really is just a "kid" (not meant in a patronizing way, SCL) all the more reason to cut him slack. Your actions here have been way disproportionate to the "crime."

One thing's for sure, OP, in my estimation, it is you who have made a bad impression by your behavior in this thread.

OP, this kind of vitriol, in my opinion at least, ought to be settled in PMs and, failing that, ought to be taken to the mods, possibly asking them for action...like removing a post, if that's a case you want to make to them.

I'm hoping that this thread is deleted. I think it crosses the line. And good riddance, if it would be. Its very purpose is to single out a member, a valued member, as far as I'm concerned, for a trashing.

I swear, I only closed my eyes for a minute and the thread exploded.

I'm more interested in what happens after the promo film is complete. The next part where this is used to leverage a feature film investment. I see the success of a $6k KS campaign, while it's an accomplishment, it's only part of the first steps. It's the rest of the journey that interests me mostly.

An interesting piece of information that I fell upon a while back is the success is often linked with the size of the campaign as well as the reach and ability of the campaign runner(s) to market the campaign. The problem that I have... there is so much information that contradicts people's suggestions. It's hard to decide what's a right course of action and what isn't.

I suspect there was more to it, but sometimes it's just really hard to put your finger on it (and sometimes secrets are meant to be secrets, right?)

Hell, it surprises me how some campaigns get funded and how others fail to find funding. I'm sure busting ass (kissing, kicking ass etc) is part of the equation.

The requirements have been significantly relaxed. I'm not sure when the change happened.

You and I were getting along. Not sure what you're misunderstanding here. I assure you, there was a good deal of hard work in my campaign, which accounted for the funding. The video was shot and produced very well and there was a community of filmmakers in the Tampa area that wanted to see the film come to life. That's it. No more secret beyond that.

I had 91 backers. I assure you, I don't know 30 people that want to give me money.

Last edited:
The voice of reason, FFP (Post #63).

I get that you were unhappy with receiving criticism for something you posted in Promotion. And I sympathize. But I'm also under the impression that Skycopleland is a pretty good guy. I guess his choice of words on your original promotional post came off as a little dismissive, which I agree is unfortunate. Best not to post critiques in promotional threads, I guess. But I'm also sure that his heart was in the right place; he meant to be helpful. And many other members here have been far less sensitive over the years than, perhaps, he was in that post. On top of that, I also do think that because he really is just a "kid" (not meant in a patronizing way, SCL) all the more reason to cut him slack. Your actions here have been way disproportionate to the "crime."

One thing's for sure, OP, in my estimation, it is you who have made a bad impression by your behavior in this thread.

OP, this kind of vitriol, in my opinion at least, ought to be settled in PMs and, failing that, ought to be taken to the mods, possibly asking them for action...like removing a post, if that's a case you want to make to them.

I'm hoping that this thread is deleted. I think it crosses the line. And good riddance, if it would be. Its very purpose is to single out a member, a valued member, as far as I'm concerned, for a trashing.

Who pissed in your cheerios dude? Get over yourself.

Back