• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

"Everything" - the different short film...

Hi Everyone!

My very first short film project left me with some thoughtful moments in the middle of the Alps
Beautiful images that are nicely edited together! The music overpowers your soft voice though. My recommendation is to "duck" the music levels, when dialogue occurs. If you ever think that the music level might be a little close to that of the dialogue, trim the music gain even more; it shouldn't be close, in my opinion.

Beautiful!
This is well made. I have no idea why more indie filmmakers don't use drones. Some great shots here. Congratulations.
Nate: As a fellow Californian - and especially here in Los Angeles - it's very restricted legally. As soon as you make a penny on your footage, you are categorized as "pro", and required to get all kinds of insurance, permissions and pay fees. Recreationally is different, but you can't even use "recreationally shot" (aka permission and fee-free) footage in a future profitable/promotional video.

"School Lands" are the only places in Cali you can just launch your drone, film, and make money off of it without explicit permission, etc.: https://www.slc.ca.gov/land-types/school-lands/

(...probably your own property as well...I would assume...not sure...)

You still need an FCC cert.

I've also heard that, nationally speaking, the FCC is cracking down on videos found online. Although that issue can be avoided by simply getting the certification (info here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/become_a_drone_pilot )

This was all learned from speaking to Film LA and California Film Commission last fall for a project.

Last edited:
Beautiful images that are nicely edited together! The music overpowers your soft voice though. My recommendation is to "duck" the music levels, when dialogue occurs. If you ever think that the music level might be a little close to that of the dialogue, trim the music gain even more; it shouldn't be close, in my opinion.
That’s a good point. I was thinking about this already while editing, but wasn’t sure how to fix it - thank you for the tip!

Hi Everyone!

My very first short film project left me with some thoughtful moments in the middle of the Alps.. Let me know what you think!

See you,
FerdinandS

What an amazing short film my friend! You gave some great insight and really stunned me with the visuals you pulled off. It must have been amazing to create this short and see it completed. The Timelapse, gopro footage and drone shots really worked well together. Keep it up so we can see more from you. 👌
My only feedback I can think to give would be to slightly lower the music when the narration is over it. It wasn’t bad i could still hear it but towards the end it got a tad noticeable. These small things we gloss over can change a viewers perception of the project entirely and in worse cases cause them to click off even though it’s a great film. Not because they don’t like the project but because these small details creep into the viewers subconscious and cause a spark of “unprofessional stigma” within. That then turns into “I like this but there’s something slightly better out there.”
So always keep mind of these things and think what might have been overlooked. That’s all I can think of though I loved it!

Last edited:
What an amazing short film my friend! You gave some great insight and really stunned me with the visuals you pulled off. It must have been amazing to create this short and see it completed. The Timelapse, gopro footage and drone shots really worked well together. Keep it up so we can see more from you. 👌
My only feedback I can think to give would be to slightly lower the music when the narration is over it. It wasn’t bad i could still hear it but towards the end it got a tad noticeable. These small things we gloss over can change a viewers perception of the project entirely and in worse cases cause them to click off even though it’s a great film. Not because they don’t like the project but because these small details creep into the viewers subconscious and cause a spark of “unprofessional stigma” within. That then turns into “I like this but there’s something slightly better out there.”
So always keep mind of these things and think what might have been overlooked. That’s all I can think of though I loved it!
I appreciate your feedback - thank you! I’ll try to dial in the audio a bit better in my upcoming project! :)

Back