Double Feature

Last night (Sunday) I watched two films that make a good double feature; "Heaven Knows, Mister Allison" and "The African Queen". Both films are about two opposites brought together by the circumstances of war (HKMA - a marine and a nun on a Japanese held island during WWII. TAQ - a drunkard and a missionary in German held WWI Africa). I though that it might be fun to create other double feature pairings.

The rules are: the films should be thematically linked; no sequels/prequels, no remakes (i.e. "True Grit" and "True Grit" or "Here Comes Mister Jordan" and "Heaven Can Wait"), no director or actor tributes. You must describe the thematic pairing.

Here's another double feature - "Forrest Gump" and "Being There" - a simpleton meets the real world.

Have fun!

The African Queen rocks...leeches!! leeches!!:)

Gladiator/Sparticus (The old one)

Gladiator uprising??

Though I do love both those movies, the only thing I think links them is genre - Swords & Sandals; thematically, they're very different.

Want a good pairing with Spartacus? How about Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

Lower-class revolts to gain their freedom.

Mm, interesting thread!

L'ennui http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168740/combined
The piano teacher http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/combined

The theme: ( My explanation might be totally lame, but It goes something like this )
A middle aged man gets sexually obsessed with a younger girl. He threats her bad. She leaves him. He's so desperate, he hurts himself.
A middle aged woman gets sexually obsessed with a younger boy. She threats him bad. He leaves her. She's so desperate, she hurts herself. :)

I was playing this game (with myself) on Twitter.

Can't remember all the ones I came up with but the first was:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Project Nim

The other ones I came up with were Captain America+Platoon and Lavender Hill Mob+Ocean's 11.

How about "Primer" and "The Time Machine".

A double feature I have sat through that worked in exactly the way you set up:
"The Exorcist" and "The Thing"

Maybe "Stand and Deliver" and "Cheaters"

Of course you could just go for the obvious:
"Dick" and "Snatch"

"Harold & Kumar go to White Castle", "Up in Smoke"
For each respective generation, the quintessential Stoner flick, each with it's own Road Trip, of sorts.

"Citizen Kane", "Blow"
The very qualities that lead a man to the top of the world are the same that lead to his eventual isolation.

"Rear Window", "Disturbia"
Not technically, but basically a re-make, and a very worthy one.

"Blade Runner", "I, Robot"
Two very different interpretations of the same source material.
EDIT: brain was farting when I wrote this. These are not from the same source material, but that just makes their pairing more interesting, as they're thematically so similar.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Inception"
Very different, stylistically, but both explore what's going on, deep inside that confusing noggin of yours.

Last edited:
Dante's Peak and Volcano.

Armageddon and Deep Impact.

:lol:

Obvious much?

I have so many thoughts on this. That's just like, WOW, man. I mean, really? Come on.

Now, if you take all four of those movies, plus the one where they drill to the Earth's core to set off a bomb (what?!), and smush them all into one movie, you get the pure awesomeness that is "2012".

I have so many thoughts on this. That's just like, WOW, man. I mean, really? Come on.

Now, if you take all four of those movies, plus the one where they drill to the Earth's core to set off a bomb (what?!), and smush them all into one movie, you get the pure awesomeness that is "2012".

Dont forget Space Cowboys.:)

Back