Does and Don't of Short Films?

Hello, I'm working on my first short film. I have made a lot of videos before this, on YouTube particularly, but this one I'm going to be entering in a local contest. Since this is my first "official" short film, I want to do as best as possible. So what are some things to avoid with short films based off of your prior experience? Personally, I was thinking about doing a drama, because I'm imagining that that would be easier to capture the audience that way, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

1) Don't show credits in the starting. That's just wasting your time.

2) Write what you know (emotionally)

3) Get a great crew

4) Don't use your friends as actors

Don't write lots of super complex characters that will take 30 minutes to develop. Stick with mostly simple characters and maybe one with a certain trait that can be developed quickly.

Do make it as short as possible, don't include anything unnecessary like 14 cutaways in a row.

Keep it moving.

Don't list the same person doing every job in the credits. Even if it's a 3 person crew, the most job descriptions you get per person are 2-3. It looks lame to see the same name 17 times in a row.

Do have fun. Congrats on moving forward!

On the subject of whether you should do a drama or not -- in my opinion, it's best to keep the subject-matter light and fun. For first-time filmmakers, usually, you don't have a whole lot of resources. There are a few exceptions to this rule -- some people have large talented crews on their first short, but that's pretty rare. So, if you're like most first-time filmmakers, your 1st short is going to have the aesthetic of a movie that's being made by a first-time filmmaker. The audience will pick up on this. In their head, they won't treat it the same way they'll treat a slick Hollywood production. In other words, they won't really take it too seriously.

It's also true that you probably won't have the most talented cast in the world. Again, there are exceptions to this rule, but most first-time filmmakers just have to work with what they've got, and that usually means an inexperienced cast. Drama can be very difficult for a non-skilled actor to pull off successfully.

So, for those reasons, I think it's usually best to keep the tone light/fun/playfull/goofy.

This is all just academic talk, though. What's most important is that you tell a story that you yourself would want to watch. Do whatever story you're feeling.

Spend some time on the screenplay. Screenwriters really don't get enough credit -- this is arguably the most important step of the entire process.

Plan extensively. Make a very detailed shooting schedule.

Get lots of coverage.

Don't know what "coverage" is? If not, it's time for you to start brushing-up on the basics of filmmaking. It's all out there for free, and google is your friend. Do you know the 180-rule? How about the 30-degree-rule? Do you know what it means to "cut on action"? What is continuity? In addition to all these, you should also spend some time researching the basics of photography (actually, that's where you should start).

Know what you can do and what you can't do. Write a screenplay that you can do.

Keep it short. Five minutes or less.

Rule #1: Have Fun!

It is advisable to have a script consultant look over your script for suggestions before you finalize it.

Don't forget to shot list and storyboard your scripr before you shoot.

Rehearse your cast.

Revisit your shot list as your actors rehearse.

Spend about 2 weeks of pre-production MINIMUM for every day you will be shooting (3 or 4 weeks would be even better), that's making a shot list, making a shooting schedule, wardrobe, props, location scouting, planning every detail down to the time you will be taking a crap on day 2 of shooting.

As Alcove said, don't skimp on sound.

Comedy is "easier" in the sense people are more forgiving. If it's funny people will overlook a lot of production issues. In a drame they tend to notice them a lot more.

Comedy is "easier" in the sense people are more forgiving. If it's funny people will overlook a lot of production issues. In a drame they tend to notice them a lot more.
I agree, but on the other hand comedy is also very difficult. Everyone has another sense of humour, so not every one will laugh about the movie.
But of course drama is very hard, especially for the actors and the director. Maybe some kind of thriller/suspense or gangster movie (Reservoir Dogs) would work, if the story doesn't get too long...

I agree, but on the other hand comedy is also very difficult. Everyone has another sense of humour, so not every one will laugh about the movie.
But of course drama is very hard, especially for the actors and the director. Maybe some kind of thriller/suspense or gangster movie (Reservoir Dogs) would work, if the story doesn't get too long...

Classic short formula is setup/punchline.

Now the "punchline" can be a dramatic twist, or an unexpected ending, or many other things, not necessarily the punchline to a joke, but you don't have time for much character development or backstory, so they tend to follow that formula.

I had written down almost exactly what Gonzo posted. A good short
film is like a good joke - even a drama or thriller or horror. You
need a good punch line or “button”.

Excellent advice from everyone:
No opening credits - title only.
No long closing credits with the same five names over and over.
Pay attention to audio.
Find actual actors if you can.
Don’t do everything yourself. Find someone who is good with audio,
find someone who is good with lighting, find a camera operator.

movieboy, since this is for a local contest, did you attend the
contest last year? Have you gone to short film festivals or
contests before? Other than watching on YouTube, do you see short
films very often?

For me, one of the big “DO’S” is to go to festivals and watch
short films. See what festivals and contests program. You hope
people will show up to watch YOUR movie - show up and watch the
movies of other filmmakers.

Id add a bit..

Even somebody who is NOT EXPERIENCED at audio but is interested and willing to hold the boom is better then doing it ALL YOUR SELF.

Direct OR run the camera, not both. If you want to be behind the camera, then get an Assistant Director for the shoot, he doesn't have to be a director during the EDITING phase, which is really where you make the final film...

Use friends as helpers, but not as actors. There is always something that needs doing on any shoot, big or small, having several pairs of willing hand can make the difference in so many ways.

Slow down. Check lists every shot

Practice.

Nothing to add, since I haven't made a film myself yet. But I just wanted to say, I'm really glad that people have written things such as:

...A good short film is like a good joke...

I never thought of it like this, as having a punchline, but it bodes well that the three shorts I've written play out exactly like this. They're all thriller/horror type stories, but each one builds up a little story, then twists it right at the end, just like the punchline of a joke. Definitely makes me think that my shorts might be worth making!

Nothing to add, since I haven't made a film myself yet. But I just wanted to say, I'm really glad that people have written things such as:

I never thought of it like this, as having a punchline, but it bodes well that the three shorts I've written play out exactly like this. They're all thriller/horror type stories, but each one builds up a little story, then twists it right at the end, just like the punchline of a joke. Definitely makes me think that my shorts might be worth making!

It's hard to do much else in a short. You don't have time for a bunch of character development (by definition your characters are somewhat two dimensional), you don't have time for a complicated plot. What you do have time for is to set up a situation, draw the audience into it, then drop the bomb on them. Just makes ure it's not a "groan inducing" bomb, because that happens as often as an applause or laughter inducing one.

Yep, exactly. It just seemed natural to write the shorts in such a way. And as far as "groan inducing", I think what I've written would be acceptable, at least I don't think you'd see the twists coming a mile off!

What I've learned (The hard way) is about making the time fit the story, and not vise versa.

I tried in my first short to create 10 plus minute short, and found lots of feedback about trimming it. So instead of trying to make a "10 minute short" I just worked the pacing and timing of the film, and got down to five minutes. The thing with shorts I found is that people are preparing for it to BE short, and I think adjust accordingly-the storytelling should do the same :)

Hey I'm sorry for an awfully late reply. All of your suggestions and advice is marvelous. I will certainly continue reading up on the basic techniques of filmmaking, and exploring what works for me.

On the subject of whether you should do a drama or not -- in my opinion, it's best to keep the subject-matter light and fun. For first-time filmmakers, usually, you don't have a whole lot of resources. There are a few exceptions to this rule -- some people have large talented crews on their first short, but that's pretty rare. So, if you're like most first-time filmmakers, your 1st short is going to have the aesthetic of a movie that's being made by a first-time filmmaker. The audience will pick up on this. In their head, they won't treat it the same way they'll treat a slick Hollywood production. In other words, they won't really take it too seriously.

It's also true that you probably won't have the most talented cast in the world. Again, there are exceptions to this rule, but most first-time filmmakers just have to work with what they've got, and that usually means an inexperienced cast. Drama can be very difficult for a non-skilled actor to pull off successfully.

So, for those reasons, I think it's usually best to keep the tone light/fun/playfull/goofy.

This is all just academic talk, though. What's most important is that you tell a story that you yourself would want to watch. Do whatever story you're feeling.

Spend some time on the screenplay. Screenwriters really don't get enough credit -- this is arguably the most important step of the entire process.

Plan extensively. Make a very detailed shooting schedule.

Get lots of coverage.

Don't know what "coverage" is? If not, it's time for you to start brushing-up on the basics of filmmaking. It's all out there for free, and google is your friend. Do you know the 180-rule? How about the 30-degree-rule? Do you know what it means to "cut on action"? What is continuity? In addition to all these, you should also spend some time researching the basics of photography (actually, that's where you should start).

Know what you can do and what you can't do. Write a screenplay that you can do.

Keep it short. Five minutes or less.

Rule #1: Have Fun!

Thank you your suggestion helped out a lot. I ended up doing a comedy, which served me better because our audience (at the festival) got to have a little chuckle here and there.

Back