Delete account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. You're stuck here.

What is this nonsense you're talking?! I will not allow it. Why would you want to do such a silly thing?

That's lame. Wouldn't it be better for the website if people could delete their accounts?

This site is the main accomplice to my procrastination.

Not buying it. I am the king of procrastination. Procrastination is internally-controlled. External influences have absolutely no bearing. You will always find a reason to do something else, until the moment hits you, when you realize that you have to do it NOW.

One problem with deleting users is dealing with their old posts.

If you delete a user who has posts in the database, you will either need to reserve his name forever (so why did you delete him?) or change the name on all his posts.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Wouldn't it just make sense to delete all their posts? I don't know how websites work, so maybe you can't just hit a button and it's all gone. Either way, lame.

I wouldn't want you to delete your account or leave us.

Wouldn't that just stop you from posting? You could still read threads whenever you wanted to.

But here's a sort of a workaround (unless IT has a password recovery system, i don't remember).
Have someone else change your password and tell them not to tell you what it is. Not exactly fool proof but...

Get someone to change your password, block it in your browser with parental controls… or just have the self-control not to visit? If posts are just deleted at the whim of their author then there are lots of useful conversations rendered useless to everyone else, which doesn't really seem fair.

You can probably ask indietalk to ban you, or just say something outrageously racist and then you'll get banned.

A simpler solution is to ration your visiting more stringently.

Stop this crazy talk right now, ICH! You're not going anywhere! :)

If there is some personal reason why you need to have your account deleted, I wonder if administration can't just change your username or ghost it, while leaving your responses intact. You could then, perhaps re-register....unless I'm assuming way too much and you really feel you need to be gone from this forum (which would be our loss).:(

People procrastinate for many widely varying reasons, but at the core of most of them are negative feelings of self worth or fear of failure, and often the two are wrapped together. Canceling IndieTalk won't solve the problem, you will soon find a substitute for IndieTalk to assist you with your procrastination.

I know how you feel, but just a little self discipline on your part can have a positive effect on your life. Set up a schedule for your life. Spend half an hour and write it down:

8:00am wake up
8:15am have breakfast
8:45am shower
9:00am to 4:00pm internet

- and then two weeks later insert one "career" related item"

8:00am wake up
8:15am have breakfast
8:45am shower
9:00am to 9:30am WRITE (or whatever it is that you should be doing)
9:30am to 4:00pm internet

Even if you do nothing but stare at the paper or computer screen you've occupied the time, although I'm sure that you could find something more productive to do, like copying the 'phone directory. Don't worry about the quality of your work, you have to get the trash out of your system anyway. Hey, Edison failed over 2,000 times before he got the light bulb right, and he turned out okay.

Once you have incorporated that into your life you can expand it - 9:00am to 10:00am - and later on add another discipline like read a script, or whatever you need to do to improve your career.

One thing that has helped me for quite a few years now is exercise; the old cliche "healthy body, healthy mind" is a cliche for a reason, it does make you feel better and is a part of my daily routine.

Give it a shot, you may be surprised.

Last edited:
If you want a rigorous and disciplined writing schedule then take a look at Jeffrey Archer's. Wait, let me see if I can find it.

Here it is (from his website): Q. What is your writing day like?
A. I am very disciplined and usually go abroad to write to eliminate any distractions. I work in two hour blocks - and I have a huge hourglass, which was a present from Mary, on my desk to ensure that I work for the full 120 minutes of each session. I write from 6.00am to 8.00am, then break for two hours for breakfast and to read the morning newspapers, or catch up on the cricket scores around the world; then from 10.00am until 12.00pm, when I break to go to the gym or for a long walk before a light lunch. Back to work at 2.00pm until 4.00pm, after which I might relax by watching an episode of my favourite TV show, The West Wing, and then my final session is from 6.00pm till 8.00pm. For the next book, during my breaks I am planning to watch the whole of the BBC's series Bleak House (Dickens). I find that my morning sessions are usually the most productive.

You may not be able to go abroad but being disciplined is fairly easy wherever you are...

Alternatively you may have already decided not to come back to IT, in which case we're all just wasting our fingerprints... :P

sometimes you just need to get away from things for a while. especially if you are working online there are lots of distractions. so for my next short i closed myself off from from the distractions like friends on youtube and such. but i dont see how deleting your account helps anything.

thanks for that post nickclapper, i'm writing/adapting my next short myself, that will help me plan my day more efficiently.

calling someone lame because they are having 'issues' is lame. not everyone is mollycoddled like some folks here, makes me wanna puke.

calling someone lame because they are having 'issues' is lame. not everyone is mollycoddled like some folks here, makes me wanna puke.

Who's doing the judging now?

Stick around and I think you'll notice (as surprising as it may be) that folks are rarely mean-spirited on here. Get to know me and you'll learn that I only tease people I like. So no, I was not actually calling anyone lame, but rather expressing the fact that I'm not happy about ICH's interest in deleting her account.

Have a nice day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back