Contest Idea

How would you guys like to display the final results? I can collect all the files and make comparison image to post if you think that would work well. Any ideas?

How about we just post our pictures here so anyone can see them? Here are mine:

Picture1

Picture2

I wanted to make the first one look old and the second look like it was winter. I did them in Photoshop.

Katie

Nice. The "old" one was done well. It looks like you used the blur tool in the areas that didn't have any subject matter. is that right? or did you just use sepia and film grain and other filters?

Luke

ktdamien said:
How about we just post our pictures here so anyone can see them? Here are mine:

Picture1

Picture2

I wanted to make the first one look old and the second look like it was winter. I did them in Photoshop.

Katie

Very interesting. Not the way I'm going very interesting. I like the "Old" one.

Ok since I am going to be busy for the next day or so I thought I would post what I have finished so far. I may or may not have time to go redo or tweak either of these so I figured I may as well post 'em. I'm still not entirely happy with the results but they are slowly getting there:

Image #1

I wanted to go for a basic warm film type look with this one. Nothing too special really. I felt it would be interesting to enhance the surrounding environment and sort of blend the marines into it with color.

graded.jpg

Image #2

I wasn't entirely sure what to do with this one. I tried several different things but nothing seemed to fit my taste. I decided I would try to go for a cooler look (as in color temp) than the first image. Still needs plenty of work but it's a start. To a degree I followed the look of a bleach bypass but I certainly did not try to mimick the look to perfection. Too cliche now.

graded1.jpg

Thoughts and citiques are most welcome :)

EDIT: Images should work now

Comments, good, bad? :)

These are really rather lame attempts but I did what I could with the time I had. If I had it to do over again I would have retained more of the original colors.

OK here are my entries... I took my time on the first one... the second.. started getting tired...

img-1099454409.jpg

Image1

img-1099454515.jpg

Image2

Let me know what you think...

Who's judging these N E way?

Is it going to be a poll? :yes:

The simulated depth of field is cool in that first one.

I think a poll will do quite well. Mostly I think this will be a good way to get feedback on our images and pass around techniques.

More thoughts to come

Shaw, I can't see your images.

Cootdog, I love your second image. It looks like cross processed slide film, very cool.

I did use a blur filter for my first one just around the edges then I desaturated it completely and used the color balace to bring up the tone that I wanted. For the First one I also used a distort filter called diffuse glow. I love this filter, it blows out your whites adds grain and makes your pictures look dreamy.

Oops, Shaw your pics just popped up, I don't know why I couldn't see them before. I like your changes they are very subtle. I like your second one best.

It's hard to judge because everyones computer monitor could be set different but this was quick and fun. I enjoyed it mucho.

First Image

c1.jpg

Second image

c2.jpg

Toxzy

Yes it is hard to judge these things via a monitor but I think it's the best that can be done at the moment. If anyone has a TV they can hook up to their computer that would provide a better example.

You have some nice saturated colors there and you managed to keep the skintones nice and clean. Good stuff.

Note to all indietalk members: I'm sure everyone here would love to hear comments about they work! Any and all comments by anyone are welcome!

good job everybody, but i have to say i like Christopher's a lot...In his, the photos became more bold and defined, it was a cool effect. :cool: ...it was indeed.

I am noticing (and this includes my upcoming entries) that there are a lot of shifts to green and blue. Only Coot has shifted to reddish color in his version of Pic 1 (there's also KT's version of Pic 1, but her's was more a washout of color). Like I said, the pics I'll be posting follow this trend, I'm just wondering why people might think this is ...

Poke

I gotta say... I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

In fact, it's a wee bit frustrating.

So here's some silliness, instead.
smiley_creepy.gif

_______

colorgrade_01.jpg

lol thats great Zen :D

I know how frustrating fiddling with color can be. Maybe I should write a tutorial on the subject. Would anyone be interested? We used to have an articles section at one point! In fact if anyone has problem grabs they could send me (overexposed, underexposed, dull footage, undersaturated, oversaturated etc etc) I could use them to make a tutorial...

Poke: I think the reason we are seeing a lot of green is the subject matter. It's pretty normal to want to increase the green in these sort of images I think. Not sure about the yellow... my pic #1 had an increase in yellow and a slight red shift. Not a lot going on with the red though. I think red will be a very nice adjustment for these images. It could look really, really good.

I like Christopher's entries... I knew everyone would go green because it's easiest thing to do... I wanted to test my skills and the app and fiddle around... Thing is... you can color correct 'til the cows come home and still not be satisfied... I would have loved to spend more time on the 2nd image but have to get ready to fly out to CA tomorrow.

I like the saturation and contrast in christopher's adjustments thjough... seems nice, crisp and clean, and green.

I think that we're used to seeing hot green jungles when that sort of camo gear is worn by military. Then add the green and black face paint , reminds me of hot green jungles again, so warmer colors like red and yellow might come into play.

Uhhhh I hope this made some sort of sense. :weird:

colorgradenv.jpg

(Just messin' around with PS for fun, do not include)

Back