Christmas Flicks

Well, the tree went up on Tuesday so the Christmas-movie marathon has begun. This is the only time of year I let myself watch these movies and it's often hard to decide which ones to watch when and how long to save 'A Christmas Story' for before it's too late.

So here's the list of movies we usually watch, please feel free to share your own list or your thoughts on this films :D

A Charlie Brown Christmas (this one always goes on for the tree decorating)
The Santa Clause (the only good Tim Allen movie, except maybe Galaxy Quest...)
A Christmas Story (obviously!)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Love Actually (Christmas aside, still one of my favorites)
Elf (I still can't believe I really like a Will Ferrel movie this much)
The Polar Express (only watch this one if we've run out of the rest but there is still time before Christmas)
Home Alone
Home Alone II
A Christmas Carol (the Captain Picard version, which is the best 'straight' version out there)
A Muppet Christmas Carol (my favorite version)
Bad Santa (another 'if there's time' watch)
A Colbert Christmas (a modern classic, really great)
White Christmas (already watched this one twice this year, but not with full attention as it's just been on in the pool room)
Saturday Night Live: Best of Christmas
Mixed Nuts (really really hilarious, check it out if you haven't seen it)

That's it, as far as I can find. I picked up a copy of Scrooged this year, so I'll be watching that for the first time soon :D

So, gentlemen... Lend me your lists!

Also, not really a movie, but it's another Christmas tradition to listen to or read this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=161Fyi6fid0
Santaland Diaries
short story by David Sedaris
read by David Sedaris
:lol::lol:

Highly highly recommended if you've never read/heard it :D

"Iwantanofficialredryder200carbideactionrangemodelairrifle!":D

Christmas Story-I know the film by rote and verse! (And one of my childhood friends, had a friend as an extra in the classroom scenes) Simply just love the film. And from a talent standpoint, the characters gelled and were genuine-nothing ever felt forced, you swear this was just an average family at Christmas.

"Ovaltine? A Crummy Commercial? Son of a.....":lol:

My top ten favorite Christmas movies/specials/programs:

10. Mickey’s Christmas Carol (Mattinson, 1983)
09. Frosty The Snowman (Rankin/Bass, 1969)
08. A Christmas Story (Clark, 1983)
07. Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick, 1999)
06. Frosty Returns (Melendez, 1992)
05. Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas (Judge, 1995)
04. Amazing Stories episode “Santa ‘85” (Spielberg, 1985)
03. A Charlie Brown Christmas (Melendez, 1965)
02. Twilight Zone episode “Night of the Meek” (Serling, 1960, with Art Carney as ersatz Santa)
01. “How The Grinch Stole Christmas!” (Jones, 1966)

Blackadder Christmas Carol....

To be honest I don't have a lot of traditional Christmas movies. Myself and my Mother and sister usually go to the cinema on Christmas Eve but in recent years that's thrown up turds like The Holiday and Australia...

From your list I'd pick Love, Actually, just because I'm a sop for that sort of uniquely British rom-com.

I'm actually looking to compile a list of between 3 and 5 'Unusual Christmas Movies' for my website, but I just draw blank after blank...

Christmas Vacation is one of my favs.
Holiday Inn - “White Christmas” was written for this movie.
Christmas In Connecticut - even though I’m not much of a Barbara
Stanwyck fan, this is a must see for me at Christmas time.
Christmas in July - my usual tradition is to watch this in July,
but I usually pop it in at Christmas, too.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles - John Hughes, ‘nuf said.
Life of Brian!

We overlap on The Santa Clause, Love Actually, Bad Santa and Elf.

“Night of the Meek” is a must, too.

And no Christmas is complete without Bob Clarks film. There is a
theater here in LA that shows it on the big screen. It’s just like
going to see “Rocky Horror” - people saying lines, shouting at the
characters. It’s so much fun!

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about Eyes Wide Shut as a Christmas movie. Interesting. I have no idea how I left out The Grinch. My DVD must be missing. :/

Haven't seen either of those, Zen. Why the sad-face for Mr Lawrence?

Is Hugh Laurie in the Blackadder Christmas? If so I might check it out, but unfortunately I don't usually find much enjoyment from that type of British comedy. I much preferred the Antiques Roadshow and some show that was sort of set up like a soap opera is here, but it wasn't all over-the-top or anything.

I'm actually looking to compile a list of between 3 and 5 'Unusual Christmas Movies' for my website, but I just draw blank after blank...

watch Mixed Nuts.

hmm, I'm not a fan of National Lampoons typically. But great call on Plains Trains and Automobiles! I'll have to rent that :D

I've seen Holiday Inn a couple times. I just don't own a copy since watching that and White Christmas would be a little redundant, and I tend to prefer White Christmas, know what I mean?

edit: on a side note, I'm not just into Christmas movies this time of year. I usually pop on the Hebrew Hammer as well ;)

Most of my faves have already been mentioned (in no particular order):

Bad Santa
Mixed Nuts
Elf
Nightmare Before Christmas
Christmas Vacation

I can't believe nobody has said It's a Wonderful Life. WTF?!

My favorite version of A Christmas Carol is actually a musical version, made for TV in 1970, called Scrooge, starring Albert Finney. It's hard to find, otherwise, but I'm pretty sure netflix has it. I highly recommend it, and I'm not normally into musicals.

Isn't Planes, Trains and Automobiles a Thanksgiving movie? Regardless, it's hilarious and fun to watch this time of year.

My favorite version of A Christmas Carol is actually a musical version, made for TV in 1970, called Scrooge, starring Albert Finney. It's hard to find, otherwise, but I'm pretty sure netflix has it. I highly recommend it, and I'm not normally into musicals.

YES!
xmas-smiley-030.gif

Personal Faves

It's a Wonderful Life

Scrooge (1970), A Christmas Carol (1938, 1951)

Holiday Inn

Going My Way

Come to the Stable

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

The Bishops Wife

The Santa Clause

A Christmas Story

TV

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Honorable Mention

White Christmas

Home Alone

The Shop Around the Corner

The Polar Express

The Santa Clause 2

Alvin and the Chipmunks

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Here's what we actually own (need to get Elf!)

xmasmovies.jpg

Truman Capote's Christmas Story (?) is hard to find. I think?

A note on The Muppet's Xmas Carol. In the DVD version they cut out the song that Belle sings which is why we're holding on to the VHS copy. Need to dust off the old VHS deck.

Speaking of deck... deck the halls with... oh I'll stop ;)

Last edited:
Back