Casting ?'s

Hello,
I am planning on now starting to shoot my first feature, and am definitely excited.
For casting I went to my friends who I thought could act well, would have the time and who lived reasonably close to where the main shooting would take place.
However, I have three main characters, and I've only found two really dedicated friends to the project. I was thinking now I would put up an ad and/or call the local university (which has a drama department).

I was wondering if I should just post a general craigslist ad, or maybe contact the local university.

When I either post the ad or contace univ., should I show other works I've done in past? I've mad emany things, but I don't want to feel like I'm bragging to them, either. I just want some credibility cause I am only 16.

What things should I include in an ad/contacting?

I think the local college theater department would be a great chance for you to get starving actors who'll most likely work for food... and for them to get portfolio pieces in return... assuming you need college aged actors.

Local community theater troupes might be a good source as well and have a more diverse age range of responses for you. A posting there could get you exactly what you're looking for in addition to them being folks who regularly look for creative outlets which they don't expect to get paid for.

Online, I'd be more apt to use Mandy.com than Craigslist for casting, although posting to both will get you hundreds of responses even for a small role. :) If you take the time to sift through all of those, you can get some really great actors.

And being from Wisc, you're not painfully far away from the MPLS/St. Paul area, check out http://walden-entertainment.com/Home.html I've worked with them in the past and they have a phenomenal cadre of actors to choose from who will respond even if the project is unpaid (just food and possibly travel expenses if you're far from the border). I would almost start here simply due to the fact that I LOVE what he's doing with this company. Tell him Cole from YAFI sent you :) They also have mailing list for both acting and crew work that are free to sign up for!

Contact a few universities, drama-clubs, theater classes.

Post & add on Craigslist, Shooters, brief them on the project, your goals for the material. Information on the roles, whether they'll be paid or not. Where/when/how long the shoot will take place.

The above should cover you nicely, giving you some options.

What things should I include in an ad/contacting?

A brief description of the character and the age range.
The shoot dates.
The location.
The compensation. Even if only food, copy and credit.

No need to show other things you have done. Unless someone asks.
If you have someone older who can help, this would be a good time
to enlist them. Being 16 has its advantages, but it also has its
drawbacks. Too many 16 year olds have big dreams but do no follow
through. Making a feature at 16 is going to raise red flags. And your
past work isn't going to help that. But your current, professional
attitude will.

One issue I see is contracts. You will need them. You cannot sign
them. So if you have someone older then 18 to help that will go
a long way to show your responsibility and professionalism.

I think the local college theater department would be a great chance for you to get starving actors who'll most likely work for food... and for them to get portfolio pieces in return... assuming you need college aged actors.

If the college has a media department, they often use older* non-college actors as well. That's how I landed my very first role, actually. Dropping off a headshot & contact info at the college is a great way to get started.

*Not that I'm old, mind you.
smiley_colbert.gif

Uncle Bob always seems to be the party pooper...

Do you have a producer? Not the money types who put up some of the budget, brag about how they're involved with movies and then kibitz about things of which they know nothing, but a real hands-on line producer who can handle the "dirty work" of filmmaking for you - keeping you organized, on budget, on schedule, dealing with paperwork, dealing with day-to-day annoyances, etc. Feature film work is a tough gig under the best of circumstances, and indie filmmaking is, most of the time, far from the best of circumstances; you need some help. (Just so you know, the best line producers, like most of the best bosses in any field, go completely unnoticed; they do their job right and most problems & disasters don't happen!) This will also lend you some credibility so that you can get and keep a few talented folks both in front of and behind the camera.

Having a budget plan impresses people; being able to show how all of the money will be spent means you are serious about the project (as well as heading off a few arguments later). So will having preliminary scheduling and organization.

Then comes preproduction, and there can never be enough. Besides getting everyone on the same page you have to inform everyone of your vision, and inspire them with your leadership. Yes, it's your project; yes, you have total control; yes, your word is law; and, yes, you have the final say about everything, but don't shut yourself off from the advice and contributions of other talented people; they may immeasurably improve your project, and, whether you take their advice or not, as long as they feel that you truly listened to what the have to say they will feel more like a part of a team and not an unappreciated supernumerary (which means they'll stick with you). (It's called two way loyalty - you want your team to be loyal to you, but in return you must be loyal to them.)

And (this is no surprise coming from me) expend every effort to capture great sound. Oh, I know, you'll say you're going to do everything you can to capture solid production sound, but once you get onto the set you'll promptly forget. Then you'll get into audio post, find out you have almost insurmountable audio problems, realize that you should have paid much more attention to your production sound, and then start banging your head against the wall until you get sick of the squishy sound.

All of this stuff seems to be what most indie filmmakers don't want to hear, but the successful ones eventually catch on. Being in the entertainment industry is one of the few fields where the harder you work the more fun you have; and most of that hard work comes at the beginning. As a musician I spent thousands upon thousands of hours practicing; once I got on stage or in the studio all that was required was to enjoy the experience - I worked really hard, and then I enjoyed myself. When I do audio post I get all of the donkey work out of the way first; contracts, long conversations with the director and the composer (with the endless pages of notes), the compiling of Foley & sound FX cue sheets, prepping the project logs, preliminary budgeting and the like. Once I've completed the first pass on the production sound most of the rest is fun - doing the Foley work, recording & creating sound FX, collaborating with the composer and finally creating a complete sonic tapestry from thousands little bits and pieces. The hard work comes first.

"Life has been meant for you to enjoy, but you won't enjoy it unless you pay for it with some good, hard work; this is one price that will never be marked down." Harpo Marx

I'm afraid Alcove is not the only one who knows how to poop.

It is my opinion that you will be a better filmmaker, in the long run, if you spend a few years working on shorts. Just a few years. You'll still be really young, when you're ready to move on to a feature.

Either way, please post your work here!

Back