Camera Questions:

Hi People! My name is Jamie and I've joined these boards to hopefully better my knowledge of shooting short films and discover the tools I will need to do this. Lately I've been looking at cameras and trying to decide what would be best for me but I've been having a tough time. I've been looking at the Canon GL2 which I've heard very highly of and found that I can get one used for relativity cheap, does anybody have any experience with this camera? What's a solid camera to start creating professional looking short films? (I'm trying to stay under $1300)

It's nice to meet you and any input is greatly appreciated! :)

No matter what brand of camera you decide on I would recommend one that has all manuel options. Zoom, Focus, Iris, white balance. I believe that the GL-2 does have all those options so I would think your good to go.

This way you get not only the look you want and can control, but also get that valuable camera experience for use later in life.

I think I'll be going with the GL2. It looks like I can get the most bang for my buck with it, I just wish it shot HD and had a larger screen. @directorik It does have a mic input.

To get HD at that Price Point you'd have to go consumer cam, and IMO (which is only worth so much). I'll take a prosumer with real mic jacks, and manual controls over a consumer with HD any day of the week.

Don't forget to get some decent audio gear to go along with the camera. Without good sound all you have is a bunch of pretty pictures, and if no one can hear and understand the dialog no one will care how nice it looks.
:welcome:

The Canon cameras are amazing! The other models I kinda remember seeing on their site, but the one I use at church is the Canon XH-A1.
Has some descent features that I like, manual focus, zoom, white balance, and some others.

I would recommend a Canon also.. Maybe the VF200.. With your budget you could get the camera, a 35mm adapter, lens, rail system, boom mic, etc....
Similar to this:
rig2.jpg

The VF200 is flash card based, so theres no moving parts. And its HD.

You can see some stuff shot with a canon consumer grade cam and an adapter here: http://fiftypeopleonequestion.com/

I would recommend a Canon also.. Maybe the VF200.. With your budget you could get the camera, a 35mm adapter, lens, rail system, boom mic, etc....
Similar to this:
rig2.jpg

The VF200 is flash card based, so theres no moving parts. And its HD.

You can see some stuff shot with a canon consumer grade cam and an adapter here: http://fiftypeopleonequestion.com/

That's a perdy rig. The videos are nice...good image. Too much play with focus...but still nice.

You can use it on your digital camera as long as the thread sizes are matched.
Its just an adapter with a flip prism though, theres no lens included with it.
And its crazy expensive.

You can use it on your digital camera as long as the thread sizes are matched.
Its just an adapter with a flip prism though, theres no lens included with it.
And its crazy expensive.

"good" ones are expensive because they are a very precise hunk of optics that perfectly focuses the image from the 35mm lens onto the lens built into the camera.

I had no idea the Letus was that expensive. The one I have experience with, the Redrock Micro is about half that price.

Last edited:
Back