• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Buying Older Versions of Editing Programs

If one does not have say the $800-$1200 to buy an editing program (Like Final Cut, Premiere, Vegas, Avid, etc.), is it OK to buy an older version to save money?

Also, if iis OK....does it matter whether the older version is sold new or used?

I don't think that would be a good idea.

A specific example for why?

For HDV, the costs keep getting lower and the availablity more accessible. Let's just say you pick up a used Sony FX1 (shoot me if the camera model's wrong; this hapened). Now let's say you want to save a few bucks and buy a copy of Premiere CS1 running on Windows XP. That particular camera won't be recognised by the software, though other earlier generation HDV cameras might. You'll have a dozen tapes ready to start editing on, and it's just not possible to get them loaded onto your harddrive.

The issue was fixed in later versions of CS; but if you'd saved some bucks by buying that camera, and by buying that early software - you'd be screwed.

Btw, you're also listing off some pricey software, but almost all of those have basic versions available for about $100. (Adobe's "Elements" line for example - heck, they even bundle Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements for $150) Sure, not as fancy as the full versions, but still very capable.

I understand what you're saying regarding compatibility issues with cameras but I don't have new camera either. If I were to use the newer cameras, I would go to a studio where I work and edit the footage on their computers. If a camera was not the issue, would it be ok to get an older version then?

I know that they have those "Elements" versions but I don't know exactly what the elements include. If I get the elements versions and end up finding out that they are no better than Windows MovieMaker, then I'm still screwed. If I could find out what "Elements" offered, then that would be great to compare some options.

Here is what I want to be able to do: (I need Alpha key features and image scaling, motion features)

Have motion features where I can create moving clips around the screen.

Have scalable features that would allow me to display multiple clips at once, like if I wanted to do a split screen OR show a phone conversation with 4 different people on the same screen, per se.

I want to be able to display text over video or over animations, such as my digital juice backgrounds.

Multiple video tracks that work with text files as well

if Adobe Premiere elements can offer these basic things and a little more, that would be cool.

If you can buy a legit older version, you can save money by upgrading to the newest version vs. purchasing the newest version. Look for a deal.

Vegas Platinum Movie Studio 9 can do all you require, and can be had for under $100. Then you'll be bombarded with e-mails to upgrade to the full Sony Vegas pro, and that still is going to be less than $500.

Might not be a problem unless and until you use another editor's services, then have to later work with THEIR timeline. Older versions of FCP cannot open newer saved project versions. Once I had to spend another $800 to upgrade FCP after an online editor worked on my project. : (

I try and get the previous, yet currently supported, versions of software, my experience is that the cutting edge tends to be a bit bloody! Another benefit is that sometimes the previous generation of the software runs SMOKIN FAST on the new generation of hardware. You might not be getting ALL the power your new hardware can offer, but you might feel it more.

Also, tuning systems is a pain that I don't voluntarily take on, unless there is a compelling business need, I don't upgrade.

Vegas studio only has three audio and three video tracks. Pro has unlimited. Studio has a slider for coloring, Pro has fullout threeways. If you have an older camera, you can most certainly get away with just the older versions if you want to save some dough. Check ebay and such. I still use Sony Vegas 7 for editing feature films and haven't had issues.

if your that scared of using money, there are trails for all of these programs.

and if your reallyyy lucky.... and don't have much editing, you might be able to pull a trail edit out of your but.....

its been done.(although i wouldn't recommend it due to the rush, and its kind of like cheating the system.)

surf ebay for used Avid Xpress systems, Adcom Nightsuites, Media 100s, Cubes, ect.
Otherwise just spend the same money on a new Vegas or Premiere set up and be supported.
I see no reason to buy used. It's why so many people give their old systems to schools as a write off.

Back