acting Blade Runner - Rutger Hauer's final scene.

Everyone,

I was digging around, and I came across a reference to the final scene when the Replicant, played by Rutger Hauer, gave his death speech, of how his memories would disappear like tears in the rain. Apparently, that scene has become iconic, which is news to me. Can anyone say anything about that? Thanks for your input.

It's a moving scene in a visually-beautiful movie, but I'm not sure I would consider it iconic.

It's okay; to each his own.

I'd say it's iconic because it so movingly expresses humanity's own angst over mortality. Roy is a replicant with a circumscribed four-year lifespan. Many contemporary humans can expect a lifespan of some seventy-five years, give-or-take. Yet despite the difference of years, their plight is the same. The difference is academic. Roy speaks for us all.

The redemption aspect may also heighten the moment. Roy Batty is a most brutal killer. Yet in his final moments, the monster has mercy and transforms, perhaps unexpectedly, into a sympathetic poet.

It seems to me one of the most interesting things about it is how it demonstrates the potential power of collaboration in filmmaking. Hauer might have kept his head down and stuck to the inferior lines of the screenplay. Or Scott might have told him, no thanks, stick to the script. But the collaboration of at least three separate minds produced a moment of movie magic.

Richy,

I like that scene too, which, as you rightly said, has struck a chord in me as well. But "iconic" would mean a scene that has become an endemic part of our culture, such as "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn", or "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore", or "Beam me up, Scotty".

Of course, Kirk never exactly said that phrase, but it's become iconic.

I looked up the words icon and iconic and there is no requirement i can find stating something has to permeate pop culture to be an icon.

Like.. something can be iconic of your cult of 12 people. you can have an icon with just the dozen of you.

I disagree in the sense that "iconic" doesn't reference pop culture but does reference being widely known.

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: "widely recognized and acknowledged, especially for distinctive excellence."

I used dictionary.com 😄

I dont want to get into a debate about semantics but I'll say that I think this blade runner scene is widely recognized and acknowledged.
Yes that is with the caveat "in cinema lover circles" but hey were talking about cinema in the first place

It is iconic to an audience. So it is iconic, YES! Same as how a religious icon may be iconic to a small audience. That of the religion.

f6f44c230b57f9b2574cb4165787d779.png

Back