Best way to schedule 48 hour film competition?

Hey

Me and a few of my friends want to do a few 48 hour film competitions, just between ourselves, this year and I was wondering what is the best way to break down the two days. More specificlly how much time should I allow for each process of filmmaking?

If anyone is unfamiliar with a 48 hour film competition then here's rules from a company that run this competition all around the world: http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmmakers/rules-filmmaking.php

Thanks

George

I have done two. Here is how I would do it:

-Get cast and crew all at your house before you get back with all the info.
-Come up with a concept by the time you get back to your house.
-Start writing it as soon as you walk in the door. And finish before bed.
-Start as early as possible the next day. Maybe even shoot through the night.
-Everytime you change location or you have a break. Take the tape out and have some one else capture it.
-Have that person start editing what ever has been captured.
-Finish editing when the last tape get dumped on the computer.
-During the entire editing process, have your music guy right next to the editor to figure out what music he is going to use at certain points.
-Let the music guy to his thing.
-Add in special sound effects if needed.
-Lock the edit.
-Go back to bed at this point if you want OR...
-Roll down the edit on different formats and then check them all.

Good luck

Being organized with what you can control is key for these, because there is so much you can't control on the 48 hour. Also, you can be open to suggestions and ideas but they need to be cut off at some point. Remember do pre-planning before your event the best you can. Have gear secured and practice with it, get locations locked down and know them well, and try to get a variety of actors/actresses so you have options.

I would throw in a few additional points that weren't covered..

#1 Plan every shot and stick to the plan.

There's always some cool idea that comes up while on set, and that's great if:
a) you have time to do it without compromising the other planned shots, and
b) it will help tell the story.

Condition a is pretty self explanatory.. you're already on a tight schedule, if you don't have time to get everything shot that's planned for and you start shooting other things that aren't part of that plan your shoot becomes longer.

Condition b is just logic.. If you're not shooting something that helps tell the story, why are you shooting it? Because it's "cool"? There's no time to do stuff just because it seems cool, if it doesn't move the story forward, don't do it.

#2 Shoot for the edit

This goes hand in hand with point #1. When planning the shots, plan how they will cut together, then shoot it that way. This makes the edit a lot less work, and that's important since you're not going to have a lot of time to play around in the editing session.

Additionally it will leave you with more time to focus on the often overlooked elements that will make the whole thing look better.

If you plan every shot, shoot every shot in the plan, and the plan was designed around how things will cut together, the edit is just a matter of putting the puzzle pieces back together, virtually no thought or significant effort involved. That means the edit will go quickly and you'll have plenty of time for color grading, and a killer audio mix.

#3 Keep the story small.
You're working on a very short schedule, you don't have time to run all over town to several locations.

Furthermore, you're shooting a SHORT. It's not a feature film, it's not a feature length story crammed into 5 minutes, it's a short. A situation, an anecdote, a vignette, a story fragment... Get to the point, avoid the extra fluff. You don't have time to show someone get up, walk across the room, flick a light switch, grab the newspaper, etc etc etc...

Get into the story as late as possible, and get back out as soon as possible.

A short for this kind of competition isn't going to really fit the 3-act formula, it's more like a one act, and if it's a one act it should be like act 3 of a feature... a whole bunch has already happened prior to the camera being trained on the actor in the first scene of your short, and the entire time you're moving ahead at full speed toward the ending.

Can you do a bigger story within the short timeframe you've got to work with and the length requirements? Sure... but the films that do well don't try to tell too much of a story, they center around a situation or an incident, get into the story as late as possible, and get out as quick as possible.

#4 Keep the cast small
Much like keeping the story small, you'll have an easier time if you keep the cast small.

Getting all the people where they need to be at the right time will be easier since you'll have less people to worry about.

Getting all the proper coverage of the characters will take less time, so you'll have less shots on your shot list.

You'll have a stronger story, centered on one or two characters, not a big group who we don't have time to introduce, get to know, and decide to love or hate.

Of course, feel free to ignore my suggestions, but I've been involved in 5 or 6 of these competitions, and have also judged them, so my insight is from a slightly different perspective than your average competitor.. ;)

Here's what my producer and I do, which has resulted in successful films two years in a row:

1. Do as much pre-pro as allowed. Secure interesting locations ahead of time. So many 48 hour films take place in either a: someone's house, or b: the local restaurant. In the past we've had a cemetery, a high school auditorium, and a disused piano warehouse. You can work an interesting location into just about any 48 hour assignment.

2. Have auditions. We use original sides and a monologue covering a breadth of styles and hold auditions a month before the contest. We get 4 to 8 talented actors on board of differing ethnicities and ages. Again, so many 48 hour films feature casts of the director's friends, all of the same age. Amateur acting is readily apparent when it comes time to screen the finished results, and you can't waste time with giggling actors who don't know their lines.

3. I don't suffer the groupthink/writer's room very well so I'm the sole writer. I think this leads to better stories and less wasted time. I sit at my desk and wait for my producer to call with the assignment (genre, prop and line of dialog) and then I begin writing as soon as he calls. 1st draft is knocked out in a couple of hours, then is given to my wife and the producer and we edit. 2nd and 3rd drafts follow and by midnight or 1:00am the script is ready to shoot.

4. I sleep. Producer (also DP) works up a shot list and other incidentals.

5. Cast and crew call is usually 8:00am on the first full day. Particulars are worked out, lines learned, costumes selected, rehearsals had, etc. Cameras roll by noon. Shooting wraps by 7:00pm.

6. Automatic capture begins before anyone tucks into the pizza.

7. Edit begins once the everything is captured and continues until a rough cut of the allotted duration is finished.

8. More sleep.

9. Final day is spent tweaking...color correcting, audio post, etc. Down to the wire (you can always make something better). Make a print you can hand in several times during the final day...if you end up with a better print two hours later, great. If you end up deep in the weeds and then your computer crashes two hours later...good thing you made one earlier, even if its not the best one.

10. Hand it in before the deadline! Don't operate under the pretense "oh, I couldn't possibly hand in something that isn't perfect, so we kept it two hours late. It's better to hand in a better film, even if it disqualifies us, than to hand in a crummy film on time." Hogwash! You can turn in a better film any old weekend! The only reason to do these contests is to see what you can come up with in 48 hours!

11. Have someone in charge of paperwork. Have a clapper loader. Get a wheelchair. Have everyone bring whatever hats they have lying around. I don't mean metaphorical hats, I mean physical hats. It's amazing what putting a different hat on an actor can do to their performance. At least on a 48 hour film.

Nice. Print this shit out. LOTS of great suggestions.

I've acted and crewed in 3 thus far...and from what I read, you've got some great advice.

A few extra bits of advice from my end:

*Leave ALL of Sunday for post, and give yourself at least an extra 30 minutes to make it to drop off location.

* Don't get too much coverage, but make sure you get enough.

* Don't skimp on sound...get a boom and a qualified operator.

* Don't use sock puppets.

* Have a Box O' Joe *always* on set.

* Have your script ready to shoot early Saturday morning (by early I mean 7am at least). It sucks for the writers, but they should work/brainstorm/write ALL Friday night into Saturday morning.

* It's not cheating to sit down with your writers before you draw your information and hash out ideas that can be molded into ALL genres...trust me, a lot of professional teams do it.

* If you can find a DP/Cam Op that is fast...you're golden. It will save you so much time if a confident DP has a hold of the camera....same goes for the editor.

Anyway. I have a ton of advice...but I'll end it there. Good luck.

Two months beforehand, start pulling together locations, equipment, cast and crew.
- have access to 4-6 locations of different types that look interesting and have available power.
- Have access to at least 2 guys and 2 girls as actors.
- try to arrange for 2 full meals, small for Friday, large for Saturday and leftovers for Sunday.

One month beforehand, you should have locations, equipment, cast and crew locked for the weekend.

One week before hand, call everyone and get them all excited about the upcoming shoot... including your location owners.
Thursday, call everyone and get them all excited about the upcoming shoot.
Friday morning, pick up your equipment.

(Schedule everything with 1/2 to 1 hour of Murphy's time)
We have a largish team, so your application of this may vary, it's logistically:
Pre Friday
Pro Saturday
Post Sunday

Friday night:
writers stay at the HQ (they've arrived early) while producer and director pick up the assignment at 7pm... the assignment gets called into the writers on the drive home (if these are all the same people, adjust accordingly and have someone else drive so you can start writing right away).

8pm, 3 stories chosen as best and pitched to the team, best one gets written by the writing team.
- producer calls locations to let them know whether to expect the crew the next day.
11pm, script read through and revised
12am, Director and DP make shot lists and story boards as necessary
3am, sleep

Saturday:
7am, crew call and Load Equipment
9am, equipment loaded and cast call
10am, on location setting up first shot
11am, first shot in the can
12:30pm (during a tidy break if possible), lunch
- Editor shows up at HQ well rested for the upcoming ordeal, waits for tapes to show up... works on titles and credits
12am, wrap locations, crew and cast (have them be available for Sunday morning incase reshoots are necessary)
- Note: after each tape is full, it gets sent to HQ to be imported while shooting continues on set.
Director sleeps after reviewing footage.
Producer sleeps after everything is accounted for at the HQ.
Editor edits til finished.

Sunday:
6pm dropoff assumed (working backwards):
4:30pm Create DVD/DVtape for delivery
2pm Color grading if time permits
10am Final edit Locked, sound and music can be done
6am rough edit locked
- Screening for remaining team
- begin fine tuning edit
5:30am Director and Producer wake up

This is a proven schedule for getting fairly large scale projects completed on time and delivered... we've even been able to add compositing during that timeframe using this schedule.

Have more than one editor so tasks can be distributed

Have fun, it'll show in the finished product!

Last edited:
Do as much pre-pro as allowed. Secure interesting locations ahead of time.

This sums it up! Though our first movie won awards, I made the mistake of making it too complex. We barely made the deadline and music was added later. My advice would be to keep it fairly simple and not move to more than a couple of locations. We had way too many locations and setups, but we made it work at the loss of much sleep. If you're curious:

THREE STRIPE

The schedule was:

Friday night - scripting and props.
Saturday - Shot from 9am - 3am.
Sunday - Editing

The next year was muuuuuch better, but I don't like the movie as much as the one, above. I came up with a paragraph synopsis for most of the genres, except Historical Fiction, which we drew! However, some elements meant for the other genres, like the fog machine, still got used.

We brainstormed for 3 hours, came up with the story and shot Friday night. We were done by 7am, Saturday morning!! (When most are just waking up to shoot.) We literally had an extra day to spare. Here is that one:

A BIT OF A FALLING OUT

SCHEDULE:

Friday night - scripting. Shoot started after midnight.
Saturday - Done shooting by 7am. Night - Edit and score.
Sunday - sleep in...

I'm hoping to do this year's, depending on schedule. I want to split the difference and do something less ambitious than THREE STRIPE, but more than FALLING OUT.

Basically, I keep the group small, so we can move quickly and with unification.

Last edited:
We actually *wanted* to draw musical...we even planned for it...and guess what? We freakin' drew it...what are the odds? No really...

We thought the director was crazy. No one wants musical...and quite frankly, 99% of the musical genres you see on screen suck to high heaven.

But we got it. It was a trip. The script writing, director, and musician stayed up ALL night and scored most of the text and musical notation. Come Saturday, the beats were done, but several of the songs still didn't have lyrics. By 9am, they all had lyrics, and the actors went in to record...

The problem is...while on set, several of the actors didn't get time to listen and practice the songs enough...so it became a little frustrating. I had this INSANE singing bit where I'm singing fast and furious and I barely knew my lines...it was really frustrating for me. I finally had to ask the production take ten so I could get the song on DVD, go into a back room, and practice. They completely understood. I'm always prepared, so it pissed me off and visibly frustrated me that I couldn't nail the lip sync. I finally got it of course...and that 10 minutes alone made all the difference.

It isn't fantastic...and it could have been better. But I am pleased, and I had a blast.

Check out our musical entry (I'm the dude with long hair):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQynJBPho0&feature=player_embedded
Title: THE BEST PART OF STAYING UP
Director: Daniel Lee White
DP/Cam Op: Richard Griffin
Genre: Musical or Western
Character: Sam Needham, addict
Line of Dialog: I'm pretty sure that's not right
Prop: Coffee Pot or Maker

Amazing advice from everyone, thanks.
Maybe I'll put this forum in the credits?

I guess it's all about pre and post production. That's what I need to work on when I make films anyway. So hopefully doing a few 48 hour film competitions will help me to improve my filmmaking skills.

I hope I draw a genre that I've never tried before, I love a good ol' challenge

Thanks again
George

Very nice Michael. Your group really makes good movies.

We drew "Holiday Film". It took about 2 hours to settle on the
holiday (wanted to do Christmas but Los Angeles in July doesn't
lend to the classic vision of Christmas time and I was opposed to
Halloween because it was too obvious) and once we brainstormed the
general story the two writers went at it. The composer wrote the
title song first and as the script was being written he worked
with the writers to find where the two more songs were needed. We
actually had four songs but that seven minute time limit didn't
allow for it.

I had secured the location the week before so the writers knew
what we had. We had the entire cast set about two weeks before the
shoot so the writers knew who they were writing for.

We had the script and songs finished by 1AM. The music producer
then went to his studio and laid down the percussion and piano
tracks.

The producer and I got some sleep.

The actors went into the studio at 8AM to record the click track.
the crew call was noon. We decided on the areas we would shoot and
the order, set up the equipment and by the time the actors arrived
at 1PM we were ready to go. I had the assistant editor on set
digitizing so by the time we hit the studio I could start as he
digitized the rest of the footage.

Tail lights at 1AM.

All day the music producers were recording the final music tracks.
At 2PM I was just about finished when they arrived with the final
music mix. We laid it in and did the titles. We were compressing
by 4:30. The DVD’s were out the door at 6PM for the 7PM deadline.

The producer was thrilled - the previous year she had the DVD in
her hand at 6:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_zkw4nPuw4

That's some awesome grip work there.
smiley_mono.gif

This is where you separate the hardcores from the lightweights! I, too, have been hoping for musical the past two years but ended up with mystery and then detective. Boring...

Here's our progression:
-2006 Curtain Call - http://www.yafiunderground.com/Video/curtain.mov
-2007 9th Life - http://www.yafiunderground.com/Video/9thLife-LB-final.mov
-2008 Extra Credit - http://www.yafiunderground.com/Video/EC-web.mov
-2009 Blaze of Glory - http://yafiunderground.com/Video/bog-festival-ws.mov

Starting out with Curtain Call, we had no idea what we were doing (Normal), Script was heavy on dialog instead of action... lots of theatre in jokes as well that we assumed the audience would understand as most of our group comes from that background... we were wrong

With 9th Life, we scaled the dialog back and presented a much better story in an almost sketch format. Our cinematography had increased substantially in quality since the first effort.

In Extra Credit, we worked with a much larger cast and started to concern ourselves more with creating a world around the actors.

In Blaze of Glory, we ramped up the production given a fantastic location and worked quite a bit on post production technique... 3-4 editors working in shifts for sleep, editing started while we were still shooting, VFX happening in tandem with the edit. First stab at greenscreen work, some successfully, some not so much.

After each of these, the core members of YAFI sits down and analyzes the end-product and the process to see what we can fix for the next year, we then do 2-3 projects to fix those things so we can come back stronger the next year. We learned to write for our audience, produce early and never have single person bottle necks where possible.

Rik...your musical entry is kickass. Definitely pwned ours...if you know what that means. Great musical bits, with awesome lyrics and vocals. All around nice ensemble.

Did you guys win any awards? I think you should have.

Myface Twitter tweet? Hilarious. Great dialog in there.

Gratz.

Just to get in the proper-length mindset, another thing I always do when prepping for the 48 Hour Film contest is watch a lot of Bugs Bunny cartoons. Most of those Chuck Jones/Robert McKimson/Michael Maltese Loony Toons are brilliantly crafted stories told on the screen in 7 minutes.

Back