Best steadycam for mini-dv?

I'm starting pre-production on a short film that will include a lot of very long, smooth camera shots that can only be captured using a steadycam or dolly. So...I'm in the market for a steadycam that's not ridiculously expensive (preferably $300 USD or under) but that will suffice in keeping the camera very steady.

Any suggestions?

There are a lot of people who make cheap (and pretty effective) hand-held stablisers, using a few dollars worth of parts from the local Home Depot. Simple physics at its finest.

You can find plans on how to make them on the 'net easily enough. :)

Zensteve said:
There are a lot of people who make cheap (and pretty effective) hand-held stablisers, using a few dollars worth of parts from the local Home Depot. Simple physics at its finest.

You can find plans on how to make them on the 'net easily enough. :)

Zen--I've seen this on the web also. One of the guys who wrote out the instructions to build your own (for $14 in parts) also offers to sell one pre-made for $49 plus shipping. I'll see if I can find that link...

I got it eventually... only several months late :lol:

A few people to watch out for, if buying a pre-assembled one, but they are easy enough to make oneself if you have a bit of spare time.

SteadyTracker...

alexpw said:
I'm starting pre-production on a short film that will include a lot of very long, smooth camera shots that can only be captured using a steadycam or dolly. So...I'm in the market for a steadycam that's not ridiculously expensive (preferably $300 USD or under) but that will suffice in keeping the camera very steady.

Any suggestions?

I highly recommend the SteadyTracker. I have both models... The small one AND the large one. They both work really well and create outstanding, smooth shots although you do need to buff your arm up a bit for the larger one. I think they are slightly overpriced for what you get but I must admit, they work really well and balancing them is fast and easy... They come with a video and takes less then 5 minutes to balance. A little practice and you're ready to shoot.

Here's their web site:

http://www.steadytracker.com

Here's the SteadyTracker UltraLite on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3325&item=7517855750&rd=1

Should you decide you might want something larger, I also recommend the Magiqcam... I bought one of these last year and within a couple of months (about 10 hours), I was able to create some outstanding footage with the DVX100A with it.

Magiqcam's web site:

http://www.magiqcam.com

For sale on eBay by Magiqcam (that's where I purchased mine):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21165&item=7518451961&rd=1

Good luck!

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
My SteadyGrip has been a long time in the making but I am just about to release it hopefuly by the end of summer.

It is NOT a gimbled or gyro'd device meant to compete with the SteadyCam of Glidecam etc. It does eliminate camera shake, soften camera movements by 75-85%+, and allows you virtually unlimited manueverability with the camera, from toe shots to over the tops of crowds to whip pans all in one shot it can be done. It is very lightweight and quickly folds into a small 10"X10"x1" case. It will sell for under $60US.

Leigh, those look superb. I went to your main site though and did not see any pictures or prices for your rig.

Thanks Zensteve

I think that I need to test how is handheld shot compare to stablizer's shot, so I make following video yesterday. First part mainly handheld shot, second part is my stablizer's shot. I can feel my hand shaking in handheld shot, and I wish that I have a crane. Shot by JVC GY-DV5000 with Fujinon s20x6.4BRM-SD lense.

WMV format
File Size around 52m bytes

Click here

Small file
WMV format
File Size around 28m bytes

Click here

WideShot said:
Leigh, those look superb. I went to your main site though and did not see any pictures or prices for your rig.

My rig is in development stage. :)

Regards
Leigh

What about Glidecam?

I understand Indietalk is an official dealer... but more immediately, for this weekend we've got someone with a Glidecam joining our team, and anyone with any Glidecam experiences who want to shout some pros and cons I can keep in mind would be mucho appreciato!

We ordered the Glidecam for our new show at Universal Studios Hollywood. The standard rig (Glidecam Pro) is pretty useless. You can build a similar rig for hundreds less - as several people have pointed out.

Add the "Body-Pod" and it's a complete waste of money. The cheap plastic clips are too easily broken and the waist vest doesn't work at all - very unstable.

I just ordered the "Smooth-Shooter". It's way too expensive for the indie movie maker ($1,500) but for a 35min live show it looks like it will work at way less than a StediCam.

I'll let you all know how it works as soon as we get it.

directorik said:
Exact camera I shoot with. I love that camera. JVC has a ProHD camera coming out next month.

Looks cool.

Nice to know someone has the same camera I am using. :)

What do you think the frame construction? Is that ok? Or should I let the camera go more lower? I found that put the camera not exact in center, but just side and more close, the picture seems more powerful.

By the way I am always visiting this site. Click here

Do you know any other forum got lots of jvc gy-dv5000 users?

Regards
Leigh

Back